Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2008, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The other guy raised his prices because of the following most likely

A] He has employees - You should still be charging as if you had employees because one day you will have them too
B] Do you really think gas isn't going to go back to 4/gal?

I would be sending 3 guys out to do that and from your info i would have been at like 50k for the year

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Right there... That is what is wrong with this sector of the green industry.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm jealous. Way to go, Herrick.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We did a 124 home community for retired people. Very small lawns, some with no lawn at $75k/yr

The biggest problem is there will be a few old guys/gals that just want to complain and will always let you know how bad you are doing. Granted you have a lot that will thank you but the mean ones will ruin your day.

Good luck, hope everything works out.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, thanks for all the love guys... I guess I asked for it.

Yea, it's a lot of eggs in one basket... guess I'll have to make sure that basket is happy. At least if I loose this one I'll still have half an income... better than working a regular job... if you loose that you're out 100% of your income.

Yes, I'll be trimming every week... but if it don't need trimmed, I'm not going to trim it. There are definitly spots and areas that just don't need it that often to keep it looking nice.

I know gas is not going to be $2/gallon forever, I tried to figure things that way.

For all you that are telling me that I should have bid this at 50-75k/yr... I'm glad I didn't, or else I wouldn't have the job. At the same time I know now that I left a good chunk of money on the table.

Maybe I'm a lowballer... so be it. I guess I have comfort in knowing no one is dumb enough to undercut me. I'm pretty well commited at this point, I guess worst case I work my butt off for the summer and learn a big lesson. Best case, I got myself a new career.
2008 Exmark 31hp briggs 60" triton w/QDS Ultra Vac
2012 Deere 1026R/60" 7-iron
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
33 years old - Since 2007 - Solo - FULL TIME
Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First off let me say congrats on winning the bid. Now you need to figure out how to cut cost on this job and make a good profit.
As a owner operator your quality will be much better and if you slack off , you only hurt yourself. I wish you the best and hope that you make enough money on this job to get by and that next year you don't leave as much money on the table.
When My company went and bid on our first really big job (400K we left 100K on the table, but it was all we could get Bonded for at the time.) we had several companies laugh and say that we couldn't make any money on that job, but because it was a state job and we got paid as we went, we were able to make a nice average profit and be able to double the size of our current fleet of trucks and equipment. When we bid the job we only had part of the work force we needed and only part of the equipment, but when we landed it we went out and bought what we needed and hired several more employees and now most of that is paid for. In business you have to take chances if you want to grow.

Good luck
Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
Wow, thanks for all the love guys... I guess I asked for it.

Yea, it's a lot of eggs in one basket... guess I'll have to make sure that basket is happy. At least if I loose this one I'll still have half an income... better than working a regular job... if you loose that you're out 100% of your income.

Yes, I'll be trimming every week... but if it don't need trimmed, I'm not going to trim it. There are definitly spots and areas that just don't need it that often to keep it looking nice.

I know gas is not going to be $2/gallon forever, I tried to figure things that way.30k is not figuring for 4 or 5 dollars a gal gas

For all you that are telling me that I should have bid this at 50-75k/yr... I'm glad I didn't, or else I wouldn't have the job. I would rather loose a non profitable account then go in the hole for one - Especially a big one At the same time I know now that I left a good chunk of money on the table.

Maybe I'm a lowballer... so be it. That is an awful mentality to have and you are only going to be hurtin your self down the road I guess I have comfort in knowing no one is dumb enough to undercut me. I'm pretty well commited at this point, I guess worst case I work my butt off for the summer and learn a big lesson. Best case, I got myself a new career.You don't have a career you have a job . . .if i wanted to work 30 hrs a week for 8 month I sure as hell would want a bigger salary than 10 to 15k . . . Do you realize that at tops your only gonna make 16 bucks an hour????? Possibly as low as $11/hr.
I don't mean to rip on you i'm just trying to show you that there is more to running a business then just sitting your a$$ on a mower . . .

I would have rather bid it at 50k, been 5k higher then the other guys but still won the account because my proposal was cleaner, and i was more professional than the other company . . .

I recently lost a bid by about 10k but thats okay because the guy told me that in the 12 years he had worked there I had the most professional proposal he had ever seen . . .

Hang in there and stop selling your self short bro
Old 11-19-2008, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats on the contract. Don't listen to what people are saying about your lowball. We've all done it in the past. Here's a point that no one has gotten to... Even if you don't make a lot(or any) profit off of this account, you will learn many valuable lessons. One being how to operate on a budget. If you find that you didn't charge enough, you'll have to think of ways to stretch your working dollar... which will be a beneficial for years to come. You'll also learn to value pride as a biproduct of your work. It's going to be a challenge to maintain that property at 3,000 per month. At the end of the year, you'll be able to pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought about this for a couple of days. I keep coming back to the same conclusion that I had the first day. This really looks like too much work for a solo op. I've worked alone for the better part of 15 years now so I know what I do and don't like to do.

I have no doubt that you can do this by yourself. I know I could. The question is: How long will it take you?" I believe your estimate of 25 to 30 hours is a bit low. You may be able to cut the cut in that amount of time. I believe it's trimming the grass and blowing off of hard surfaces that's going to burn you.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

First thing, get yourself an OCDC. This should help in alot of the grass on hard surfaces.

Second, ask if you can use a growth regulator for the areas that need to be trimmed.

This will keep the grass green, but if applied properly, will allow you to trim the majority about every 6 weeks.

Third, build a rack to carry the trimmer on the ZTR while you mow, just a couple of brackets. This way when you get done with a small area, you can hop off quick and trim it, rather than mow the entire thing for 2 days, then trim for 2 days. Each person should then have a finished yard when you're done, rather than having some people complain because you mowed it two days ago, but it never got trimmed.

Fourth, get a decent sized trimmer where you can use it to blow off at the same time. You should be able to hold the trigger wide open and it'll cause enough air flow so you can get the minimal amount of clippings off yourself. Learn to use the throttle on the mower as well, slow the throttle down so you're not blowing grass all over the hard scapes.

I can go a whole month without pulling a blower off the trailer. My guys that I have now, there's grass everywhere when they get done.

Now, there's my hints at cutting time. Here are the problems.

What are you going to do if you're sick, break your leg, whatever. I learned this, this summer. I broke my foot.

I had to hire 4 guys and sub 8 accounts out to another company so all my work was getting done in one week. I'm now down to two guys, and trying to keep them on salary, yearly.

You should have never taken this property. You will lose it. You will lose it. At 30 hours, that's 3 days for a solo op. 1/2 a week, IF it doesn't rain, or you're not double cutting in the spring.

You lose the one account, and you're out 1/2 your work. How long is it going to find accounts to fill it, so your family doesn't have to struggle?

You solo op guys (I know how it is, until this year I'd been one for 19 years) have to realize you CANNOT do certain accounts efficiently enough to make it work. You CANNOT just look at a bid amount and be happy. It WON'T work.

I've seen sooooo many guys in 20 years say "wow, look at all this money I'll make on one account". I don't have to do anything else. 3 years later they're complaining because there's no money to be made cutting grass.