Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2008, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow that sounds way to low...I hope im wrong tho...

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 11-20-2008, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why I look at the bright side, one less competitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
If it were me I would bust axx and do it in 2 days even if it took 14 hours per day.
Well you can do it in 2 days but you need headlights on all your equipment, I think we're talking close to 40 hours per service here.
A 40 acre sprawl ain't getting done in under 30 if it takes an hour an acre...
The problem is sheer distance, all the islands, the CURBS, the weeds, omg...

If there wasn't 30 thousand dollars hanging in the balance it would be funny.

Last edited by topsites; 11-20-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
Are you saying it only takes 10 hours with just you by yourself? And they had 4 guys doing it in 10 hours?
No, I know when to hire people for certain jobs. I'm saying it takes 10 hours with me and three others. Like I said, one person can only do so much-I am solo most of the time but have a couple of guys I use when I think it will be inefficient by myself.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickliss View Post
I am sure the original poster probably will not get this reply, as he is trying to revive himself from all the negatives quickly tossed his way. If so too bad, because you have to be able to learn from negatives to succeed in anything.

I do a property similar to this and would like to offer the following suggestions, some of which were covered by others.

1. Bust butt this first year, take notes.
2. When you make a mistake, admit it immediately. There are hundreds of people on a property like this. Most all of them have at one time or another in their lives mowed a lawn. They are EXPERTS. They will not hesitate to discuss you and your practices at every opportunity. If you weed whack edna's daisies by accident. Shut of the equipment, knock on the door and appologize. I suggest business cards with a note if no one is home.
3.OCDC and trimmer rack on ztr. Spare loaded spool on ztr. Think about small qty of trimmer fuel on ztr too.
3. Track your hours every time. Take written notes on any trouble spots on the property, where you need to use a 21, who comes out and complains about scalping etc.
4. Find a trainee asap and pay him/her well. I really like female employees on a crew at a place like this, sometimes it generates positive feelings/comments right away.
5. Negotiate a fuel surcharge. You're lean on this job, they know it.
6. Be friendly, I gave a couple of gift certificates for a raffle when my clients opened a craft shop on their campus. Every resident said thanks for a week and I raised the billing to cover mowing the areas around the shop. I drop 2 dozen donuts off at enviroservices office at the beginning of the season.
6. When you make it work, ask for written multi-year deal. Think about adding services, aeration, fert etc and try to achieve a better profit margin.
7. Ask for the reference when you bid your next similar property.
8. Make absolutely sure that if your mower goes down you can get a backup.
Congrats and good luck!
Thanks, that was some really good and helpful info.
2008 Exmark 31hp briggs 60" triton w/QDS Ultra Vac
2012 Deere 1026R/60" 7-iron
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
33 years old - Since 2007 - Solo - FULL TIME
Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChad View Post
Are you the guy that started a thread some time ago that stated "you did not know why LCO's were not charging $100 per man hour?" Then come to find out you have a helper and that "$100 per man hour" was really equal to the guys your were calling out for charging $50 per man hour. Not trying to be an a** but please save the math lesson.
**** you..

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Little bit of an update...

Should be getting the contract finalized shortly. Really looking forward to this the more I think about it. I do appreciate the words of caution from many of you... really made me stop and think some things over. I've also sat down and tried to think of every last penny I'll have in expenses. I feel like I have a good handle on things. Also looking into a couple of other larger size accounts, 10-15 acre type stuff, and starting to contemplate the employee thing a lot harder. Biggest hang up there is feeling confident enough that I can find someone who will keep up with me, do a good job, show up every morning, and do it for $10/hr. We'll see...
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wish you the best. Good luck.

LSU Horticulture Degree
Commercial State License
Turf and Ornamental Spray License

Spray Services offered:
-Insect Control
-Fertilization
-Weed Control
-Disease Control
-Soil Testing
Old 12-02-2008, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
Little bit of an update...

Should be getting the contract finalized shortly. Really looking forward to this the more I think about it. I do appreciate the words of caution from many of you... really made me stop and think some things over. I've also sat down and tried to think of every last penny I'll have in expenses. I feel like I have a good handle on things. Also looking into a couple of other larger size accounts, 10-15 acre type stuff, and starting to contemplate the employee thing a lot harder. Biggest hang up there is feeling confident enough that I can find someone who will keep up with me, do a good job, show up every morning, and do it for $10/hr. We'll see...
Around here, people can go to work at Menards for $10 per hour.

The dishwashers and cooks at a local hospital went on strike because they were only being paid $14-17 per hour.

You're going to want to look around. Look at the industries where people have to put hard labor in. Construction, masonry, etc.

To find good, dependable workers, you're going to want to try to compete with these job markets.

I had to start paying $16+ per hour before I finally got people worth hiring, pulling them away from other industries.

If you read enough on these boards, you'll see you're going to have to get closer to $20 per hour, than $10, in order to keep someone worth while.

Not bashing, just making sure you're looking at the big picture.

Took me almost 20 years to figure this one out.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
Around here, people can go to work at Menards for $10 per hour.

The dishwashers and cooks at a local hospital went on strike because they were only being paid $14-17 per hour.

You're going to want to look around. Look at the industries where people have to put hard labor in. Construction, masonry, etc.

To find good, dependable workers, you're going to want to try to compete with these job markets.

I had to start paying $16+ per hour before I finally got people worth hiring, pulling them away from other industries.

If you read enough on these boards, you'll see you're going to have to get closer to $20 per hour, than $10, in order to keep someone worth while.

Not bashing, just making sure you're looking at the big picture.

Took me almost 20 years to figure this one out.
I agree 100%... I know there are a lot of other things I'd do for $10/hr before cutting grass in the heat all summer. There comes a point when you absolutely HAVE to hire help to keep up, but where is that point? Is it worth working 70-80 hours a week to keep the extra profit vs hiring someone and getting done in 40 hours a week? Something I have to think about some more.
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
I agree 100%... I know there are a lot of other things I'd do for $10/hr before cutting grass in the heat all summer. There comes a point when you absolutely HAVE to hire help to keep up, but where is that point? Is it worth working 70-80 hours a week to keep the extra profit vs hiring someone and getting done in 40 hours a week? Something I have to think about some more.
The hourly rate of an employee depends on the area you live in also, I might add. I have three good people I can call on right now for $10/hr., believe it or not. A lot of people on here swear on making $60/hr. and I've decided that people around here just won't pay it-it's whatever the market will bear. If you can only pull $40/hr. out of the hat, you can't afford to pay a worker half of that. One final note-One man can only do so much! I am solo most of the time but the more I do this, the more I realize how inefficient one person is a lot of the time. I just can't seem to focus on the details when I'm by myself for lack of time and energy. It's really competitive out there and I'm finding out that the details is what keeps your job-anyone can ride a mower.