Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2008, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Right now headed into the supposed lean economic times, you may have pulled a big benefit against your competition.

None of these people are getting out there and cutting their own grass. As long as you do a good job this is a save account. Use it to segway into bigger and better.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A $10 an hour worker costs me about $20 an hour, for each hour that he's working on a property. This include workers comp, matching FICA taxes, holiday and vacation pay, and the worst...windshield time.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another quick update...

I included a fuel surcharge in the contract that adds a small amount to cover extra costs if gas prices rise above $5 per gallon. The director actually asked if I'd work it the other way also... for every dollar gas is under $4 a gallon I make the price cheaper...

uuugghhhh NO. sorry. You accepted the bid as is, I'm not going any cheaper.

I guess worst case I threaten to pull my bid and they can pay the extra $15k for another company to do it. I've got a lot less to loose than they do.
2008 Exmark 31hp briggs 60" triton w/QDS Ultra Vac
2012 Deere 1026R/60" 7-iron
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
33 years old - Since 2007 - Solo - FULL TIME
Old 12-12-2008, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats why you never give your reason for price increase as a Fuel Surcharge. I'dont blame him for asking. Can't wait for a mid-season update next year. Good luck, and give it hell.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man I wish you well. There are a few things, though. I feel the price was maybe $10K more than your bid, not $20-30K like some people are saying. Also, old people are harder to work with. They think that work should be done with a 21" reel mower like they used to do back in the day. They might not think much of your 60" JD ZTR, esp. 2-3 days per week of it. All that asphalt, hope you have a good backpack and a lot of extra time accounted for. You will simply have to trim and edge everything every cut to suit gramps, no questions asked. Also, the hedge trimming deal might not be worth it - those old folks are pretty darn picky. JMO. Good Luck.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
Another quick update...

I included a fuel surcharge in the contract that adds a small amount to cover extra costs if gas prices rise above $5 per gallon. The director actually asked if I'd work it the other way also... for every dollar gas is under $4 a gallon I make the price cheaper...

uuugghhhh NO. sorry. You accepted the bid as is, I'm not going any cheaper.

I guess worst case I threaten to pull my bid and they can pay the extra $15k for another company to do it. I've got a lot less to loose than they do.
I'm not sure if you caught the sarcasm, but I think the guy was trying to be an ahole.....that's a big red flag to the kind of person you're going to be dealing with.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not so much of an ahole as a cheapskate... sounds like the maintenance director is with me on this one, so I don't think it's going to be much of an issue. Most of the time I'll be dealing with him directly, and he's pretty down to earth and knows how things work in real life. It's the executive director that's been in an office too long I think.

There have always been big machines used on this property, no one should have a problem with my zero turns that will actually have any authority to do anything about it. I've got another account, that if it goes through, I'll probably pick up a push blower for the fall clean up which would help with clean up here also. I think between my OCDC and BR600 clean up shouldn't be that big of a deal regaurdless.
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I guess you have to see it from my persepective also... right now I make 39k/yr at my full time job. After I pay my insurance premiums, retirement, and taxes, I'm luck to see 28k of that a year. Even if I'm working my butt off, I'll be making more money, and working 7 months out of the year... I'm excited about it, and think it's going to be a really good year for me next year.
Do you understand that you will only be earning approximately $10,000-12,000 based on your numbers? I hope for your sake it doesn't take any longer then 30 hours. Also.. insurance premiums and retirement have not been taken out of this number yet.

I can't believe that places this size don't require you to have a minimum of equipment... Did they ask you to provide proof of insurance?

Good luck with it...

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good luck to you, I think that I would get burnt out spending that amount of time on one property a week. I think I would look for some good cheap helpers.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn-Scapes View Post
Do you understand that you will only be earning approximately $10,000-12,000 based on your numbers? I hope for your sake it doesn't take any longer then 30 hours. Also.. insurance premiums and retirement have not been taken out of this number yet.

I can't believe that places this size don't require you to have a minimum of equipment... Did they ask you to provide proof of insurance?

Good luck with it...
If this was my only job I might be making that much... I've got my costs figured out, and know what I need to make ends meet and have some left over.

Minimum equipment? I've got pleanty for what I do. My dealer is very good about loaners if something breaks. I've got insurance, and they have seen the certificate...
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader