Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler Bagger

This is the first year I have used my Hustler for fall cleanups. Its such a time saver with the spindle driven bagger. But today I found out just how good it vacuums. I was in a yard that I've cut for 3 years and out in the middle the mower vacuums up a HEAVY piece of metal about 3 inches long. It sounded like a shotgun went off and I look down and there's a big bulge with a little hole in the top of the blower housing. The metal was appartently buried on the ground because it was covered in dirt. I must have hit it just right this time. I'm thinking great, now I've got to buy a new blower for this bagger. But none of the blades in the blower were even nicked and I found the metal in one of the bags. I stuck some duct tape over the hole and went back to getting up leaves. My dealer said if it not vibrating, no major damage done. He told me to get some epoxy and patch the hole. Has anybody else sucked up anything while doing leaves that did major damage to your mower?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

with my Exmark I bagged up an iron sewer cover once that was probualy 10" in diameter
It chopped it into a few peices and passed right trough with no damage thankfully
Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer told me he's had some customers who sucked up iron water meter covers, I guess that's what you're talking about. Of course he said they were not as lucky as you.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hit a log chain once, That one did do some damage.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After using the bagger today, I saw there is a groove worn on the inside of the housing where the piece of metal rode the impeller around and around. So I got the epoxy and I beefed it up on the outside of the housing where the groove is on the inside. Hope this works or I may have to buy another blower after all.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bagger

I purchased the hustler bagger for my mini z last month also. I less impressed with mine. My first impression after it was installed was that it looked flimsy, not at all built tough like the mowers. The rack that holds the bags cracked at a weld after about 3-4 weeks use. The dealer said they would have to send it in to determine if the warranty would cover it, If not the cost for the bracket was $125. So, right in the middle of leaf season which will be over next month, I would have to send the bracket in and maybe have to pay $125for another one. So I had it welded locally. Mine does alright for leave pick up. It doesn't do the small oak leaves well. It does pick up the larger leaves well. It doesn't pick up pine needles very well. This is probadly more of a deck issue that the blower though. Just my two cents.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm very impressed with the way it picks up pine needles and those damn small oak leaves. I hate those things. I do have to watch that it doesn't clog the tube, especially if the needles or leaves are wet. I've gotten used to the sound change you get when it getting full. That window on the back of the bag is not worth anything.