Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-22-2008, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I am concerned the lowballers can have all the business they can get. I don't want any of their customers anyway. If I am going to do a holiday lighting job I am going to get paid well for it, or I won't EVEN consider it. Holiday lighting is too much work for chump change. I don't bargan with my customers. I tell inquiries, "The minimum cost for a Holiday Lighting job is $1,000 - $1,500." Take it or leave it.

This is my third year of Holiday Lighting. My goal is to grow slow with quality accounts, and to be recognized for a higher level of work. Also I focus on commercial accounts - I can make sales calls and not waste money on marketing that competes with lowballers.
~Ned
Member AOLP (CLVLT) #0852
www.nightlightingfx.com
Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm always careful with quoting minimums on the phone. I've found that if I give a range of the cost of my services, I say- "some customers just have us hang wreaths, and it costs them 2-300 per year, and some displays are elaborate, 2-4k, sometimes 10k per year and more, but it all depends on how much product it takes to make your house look awesome". My experience is if I can get in front of folks they will get to know me and trust me, and I can close 1 out of 3 folks on a 3000 average first year home cost, with closing anywhere from 25-40 new customers per year in the past 4 years. when I quoted minimums on the phone four and plus years ago, I am certain I scared off folks who would of bought from me had I gave a range like I do now. I only picked up 10-20 new customers per year in those days, but then it was mostly just myself and a helper.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Member

What was the first guys full number? All jokes aside I'm in so cal and believe me it's even worse, hell we have guys out here that hold signs pimping themselves out
Old 11-27-2008, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure you can go to craigslist in any city and find similar ads.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Look at this moron in Atlanta's craigslist

Time to decorate .Hi im bruce.i want to take the chore or the risk out of putting up your lights.Is your roof high.Is that ladder getting heavy.Chevy Chase can fall off that ladder and not get hurt hes an actor.If you fall you cant work .You might even get killed.let me climb the ladder
licensed Insured we will do the job fast affordable and we are very reliable
Ill do half the work light/ladder work or we will design the whole house.
Icycle light 150.00 whole house
Yard lights everything else 50.00
Lights and cords extra Give me a call 678-910-xxxx thank you bruce
Old 11-30-2008, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a lowballer storm through a 400k plus neighborhood and hit 3 houses, 2 of which I had bid. after explaining all the benefits of the lightlink system for icicles, you know, no flip ups, no 1/3 of the strands out , not twisted wire, and they actually look like icicles, repairable, warranty, etc, three folks in a row went with the walmart icicle guy. and how do these 400-600k homes look? garland that looks like a muppets scarf around posts, icicles that are twisted, 1/3 out, flipped up on the roof, see through wreaths, and an incredible over all tackiness that is stunning. cords everywhere.

How is it that folks who drive an $80,000 SUV, wear $1000 suits and drop 100bucks plus to eat out buy cheap lights and cannot see it? we do 11 homes in this neighborhood that are straight, sharp, classy and ready for photo's in architectural digest. I can handle folks making uninformed decisions. But to make poor choices given proper information and referances, that's just dumb.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=David Gretzmier;2624299] and how do these 400-600k homes look? garland that looks like a muppets scarf around posts,
QUOTE]

Almost spit out my beer, muppet scarf

Can I use that during my sales presentation?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought that was pretty funny too!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The funny thing is I use that term during my sales presentation. nearly everyone thinks of garland from walmart and they get the visual when you say a muppet scarf. Then I pull out my garland, and of course, it's wide, heavy, huge...impressive.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

...............and I just realized why (yes I am a little slow) everyone thinks that the material does not cost us anything. And why they think I am crazy when I give them prices.

Lowes put all of their holiday stuff on sale this week, 100 count strand of lights for $1.20. 50 count strand $.99. Had prospect tell me she would go to lowes, buy 2000 lights for $30 and pay me $50 to put them in. She thought I was obnoxious when I told that I dont hang homeowner lights but given the economy I could do it for $400.