Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2008, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Hey Marcos!

Good to see you one here....as its been a while! I see you are still a DICK!
Geez Rodney, would you please stop beating around the bush! Just come on out and speak your mind for Pete's sake!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cant we just all get along........... lol

LSU Horticulture Degree
Commercial State License
Turf and Ornamental Spray License

Spray Services offered:
-Insect Control
-Fertilization
-Weed Control
-Disease Control
-Soil Testing
Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemonkey View Post
Well, I lurk here much more than I contribute, so I hope I don't get the same kind of welcome from my buddy rceech as Marcos did. In general, I agree with rcreech's practical assessment of lawn soil sampling. However, rcreech has an excellent background in soil science and fertility and his generalization may not apply to the other "professionals" here.....whether they be newbies or are just clueless about dirt stuff.

I operate a small research nursery and have had the luxury to do annual soil sampling for over 20 years using a single lab. This monitoring serves best for trending changes over several years and making conservative adjustments as required. Even with this level of testing, I find it unreasonable to micro-manage my nutrient applications.

Based on my experience, it would NOT be unreasonable for a single (composite) soil sample to be off +/- 30% due to all the possible variables (more, in extreme cases).

It's wrong for someone to dump 20-20-20 on every lawn, not knowing if maybe P is already high (as it is in our region).

The responsible and savvy lawn professional will learn the general soil types of his area, do some testing to correlate fertility to soil type, and come up with sensible application rates that will be in the "middle of the road" to handle the variations.

Occasional tests to verify your work and to diagnose problem sites makes sense. I've tested the lawns at my facility twice (ten years apart) and the results look almost identical......lawns are a fairly stable ecosystem unless abused.

Just my 2 cents......
Exactly!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

...Occasional tests to verify your work and to diagnose problem sites makes sense. I've tested the lawns at my facility twice (ten years apart) and the results look almost identical......lawns are a fairly stable ecosystem unless abused....*

So the soil test was only , moderately useful, at best?

Tags
fertilizer , lawncare