Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwilde View Post
My landscape company uses large ride on commercial zero radius mowers to mow my small residential less than 1/4 acre lawn. There are many sprinkler heads that are breaking and they never take responsibility. Is there any information or documentation I can present to them about this situation. Your response would be greatly apppreciated.
In my business I would never use the Ztr for anything much smaller than a full
acre lot because it's not the right tool for the job, also I order sprinkler heads in
bulk so that when this issue arises I usually replace the riser (which I carry a box
full of in the back of my truck) at no cost to the consumer.

I do this without asking, without your knowledge, chances are if you never pay attention
to the specific riser that broke you would never even know what happened.

With the exception of certain irrigation systems where the risers fail to recede,
perhaps due to lack of maintenance or what have you, each instance of damage
is looked into but as a rule if I break it, I replace it, no questions asked.

Assuming your yard is somewhere within the standard less than 1/4 acre lot size and
it doesn't involve too many obstacles or time-consuming hassles that would entail it
taking me longer than most of my lots this size, my cost for a mow to you would be $30.

So my suggestion to you would be to start looking for a new company,
one that cares for the needs of the customer, and let your fingers do the
walking because you as a consumer have certain choices to make.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by topsites; 11-22-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
In my business I would never use the Ztr for anything much smaller than a full
acre lot because it's not the right tool for the job, also I order sprinkler heads in
bulk so that when this issue arises I usually replace the riser (which I carry a box
full of in the back of my truck) at no cost to the consumer.

I do this without asking, without your knowledge, chances are if you never pay attention
to the specific riser that broke you would never even know what happened.

With the exception of certain irrigation systems where the risers fail to recede,
perhaps due to lack of maintenance or what have you, each instance of damage
is looked into but as a rule if I break it, I replace it, no questions asked.

Assuming your yard is somewhere within the standard less than 1/4 acre lot size and
it doesn't involve too many obstacles or time-consuming hassles that would entail it
taking me longer than most of my lots this size, my cost for a mow to you would be $30.

So my suggestion to you would be to start looking for a new company,
one that cares for the needs of the customer, and let your fingers do the
walking because you as a consumer have certain choices to make.

Have a nice day.
you hit so many heads you have to buy in bulk and your the professional taking care of the customer????? You wouldnt use a z for under an acre lot????? Your charging $40 an hr for leaf cleanups right??? yea

Have your irrigation system fixed. The heads are sticking up or set to high.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-22-2008, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have 900 or so hours on my 52" ztr, and I have never broken a sprinkler head...at least not that I am aware of. I use it on all lawns regardless of size, unless a fence/gate stops me.

For what it is worth, I have smashed up way more stuff with a 48" walk-behind.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 11-22-2008, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
I have 900 or so hours on my 52" ztr, and I have never broken a sprinkler head...at least not that I am aware of. I use it on all lawns regardless of size, unless a fence/gate stops me.

For what it is worth, I have smashed up way more stuff with a 48" walk-behind.

exactly! Ztr's have more control than a WB. I have climbed trees with my WB! The damn lockout got stuck! hahaha

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-22-2008, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in the area and Im 99% sure the system wasnt installed improperly. Its not the companies fault nor is it their responsibility to fix your improperly installed heads. If they keep breaking your head then you need to have your sprinkler depth readjusted to the proper heights. By the way do you have any pictures of your sprinkler system and the damage. How long has the lawn company serviced your property and why did you get rid of your last company?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been in this biz for 12+ years, been using Zero turn mowers the whole time, Dixon, Grasshopper, Walker. about 90% of my lawns are irrigated and the only sprinklers I break are either improperly installed (either too high or not backfilled correctly) or ones that don't retract all the way. These can be ANY brand though, not just cheapos. Even the good brands (rainbird, hunter, toro) wear over time, especially in sandy soils and will stick up. Don't see them all the time.

I also carry a full selection of irrigation heads, nozzles, pipe fittings, risers, funny pipe and fittings, and, well everything. But I also do some irrigation repair work too. I have a couple thousand dollars invested in materials that I keep on hand. Having what I need when I need it = priceless.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I've been in this biz for 12+ years, been using Zero turn mowers the whole time, Dixon, Grasshopper, Walker. about 90% of my lawns are irrigated and the only sprinklers I break are either improperly installed (either too high or not backfilled correctly) or ones that don't retract all the way. These can be ANY brand though, not just cheapos. Even the good brands (rainbird, hunter, toro) wear over time, especially in sandy soils and will stick up. Don't see them all the time.

I also carry a full selection of irrigation heads, nozzles, pipe fittings, risers, funny pipe and fittings, and, well everything. But I also do some irrigation repair work too. I have a couple thousand dollars invested in materials that I keep on hand. Having what I need when I need it = priceless.
In CT you need a plumbers P2 license to work on irrigation. So the homeowners need to call their irrigation guys.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-22-2008, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
In CT you need a plumbers P2 license to work on irrigation. So the homeowners need to call their irrigation guys.
good news for the irrigation guys, sucks for everyone else.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The mowers that your landscape company uses will not break any irrigation heads that are installed properly and working properly. If one of your heads were stuck up and someone hit it with a 21" push mower it would still break. Who is doing the repair work on the broken heads? You or an irrigation company? Have any of the new heads been broken? If you walk through your yard and look at the older heads (and new ones also), can you spot them very easily or do you have to dig around for them? Are the heads even with the ground, just below the ground , or slightly above the ground? What type of grass is your lawn and how low is it cut? Do you have any pics? We need to know the answers to these questions before we can tell you you problem and who is at fault.

On a side note: How did this thread turn into another ZTR bashing and WB are the best argument? Whenever I read that kind of stuff it always sounds like someone is trying to justify what they have versus what others have. WB guys say riders are too big and heavy. Rider guys say that WB are too slow. WAM guy says we are all slow. go figure? I've got 2 riders and 2 WB so I can get away with saying all of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwilde View Post
My landscape company uses large ride on commercial zero radius mowers to mow my small residential less than 1/4 acre lawn. There are many sprinkler heads that are breaking and they never take responsibility. Is there any information or documentation I can present to them about this situation. Your response would be greatly apppreciated.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have any pictures?