Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2008, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

And Oh! Matthew Rusk - What do you consider "low budget"? Does a man of your caliber consider $130k and counting low budget?

For an entire property landscape on a mil+ house its low budget. He11 man we do 100k front landscapes!

Your not getting much for 130k. It must be a flat property with no retaining walls and no pool.

We get screwed here in my area. We need to build retaining walls on almost every project. Some of these jobs we have over 100k in walls. I'd rather see that money go to outdoor kitchens, fireplaces, etc.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
For an entire property landscape on a mil+ house its low budget. He11 man we do 100k front landscapes!

Your not getting much for 130k. It must be a flat property with no retaining walls and no pool.

We get screwed here in my area. We need to build retaining walls on almost every project. Some of these jobs we have over 100k in walls. I'd rather see that money go to outdoor kitchens, fireplaces, etc.

Ya know, there is a saying, it goes like this:
"Hire a teenager while the still know it all"

Not sure about your speal about what one gets for any dollar amount.

And neither are you, MRusk

Business is about making a profit.

It doesn't matter is one is scooping dog poopie, or re-building the World Trade Center.

If someone only gets a 1200 SF patio and they pay 50 grand for only a 1200 SF patio - then what does how much one gets and doesn't get have to do with anything???

Or maybe the cost for a 2400 SF job is only $12,000.00. 12k may be a low amount of money, but maybe the contractor is netting $6,000.00. Sound far fetched??? Well.....its not. And I can explain further when I have more time

The job at hand is a job where 95% of the work was done at the rear of the dwelling, and was sold for full value at a time when most other contractors began feeling the economic pinch

I don't consider $16,000 of PERENNIALS that will be planted in the front this spring small beans Now, if it were shrubs and trees......then that would be very minimal

Keep Reading the Posts, MRUSK, you're gettin there ol buddy

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Just GREAT......NOW you tell me!!!
see post #2

http://www.superiorlighting.com/Cand.../s3868-sat.htm

Last edited by kootoomootoo; 11-25-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Ya know, there is a saying, it goes like this:
"Hire a teenager while the still know it all"

Not sure about your speal about what one gets for any dollar amount.

And neither are you, MRusk

Business is about making a profit.

It doesn't matter is one is scooping dog poopie, or re-building the World Trade Center.

If someone only gets a 1200 SF patio and they pay 50 grand for only a 1200 SF patio - then what does how much one gets and doesn't get have to do with anything???

Or maybe the cost for a 2400 SF job is only $12,000.00. 12k may be a low amount of money, but maybe the contractor is netting $6,000.00. Sound far fetched??? Well.....its not. And I can explain further when I have more time

The job at hand is a job where 95% of the work was done at the rear of the dwelling, and was sold for full value at a time when most other contractors began feeling the economic pinch

I don't consider $16,000 of PERENNIALS that will be planted in the front this spring small beans Now, if it were shrubs and trees......then that would be very minimal

Keep Reading the Posts, MRUSK, you're gettin there ol buddy

I dont care about the flowers you are going to plant. It just seems that that 'pillar' is not what you would expect to see at the entrance of a "fairly large estate home". A srw pillar is the lowest budget pillar you can build.

Maybe estate homes are different in MD then in NJ. If that is the case please correct me. In jersey a fairly large estate home is 10k sq ft +.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My garage is 10k sq ft +.........and I race my car in it
Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
My garage is 10k sq ft +.........and I race my car in it
Wow, what kinda car you have in there, is it a bumper car?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Apparently one guy did........
Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
I dont care about the flowers you are going to plant. It just seems that that 'pillar' is not what you would expect to see at the entrance of a "fairly large estate home". A srw pillar is the lowest budget pillar you can build.

Maybe estate homes are different in MD then in NJ. If that is the case please correct me. In jersey a fairly large estate home is 10k sq ft +.

Always makin friends, aren't cha, Matt?

MRusk - sounds like we're on the same page as according to the MD real estate tax website, this home is 12,000 SF

Couple of things old buddy:

1) The owner of the home is an architect.

2) Have you seen the 2008 Techo catalog?? I'd venture to guess that 96% of the homes in the catalog are estate homes.......with pillars It does no good for you to sit back and type and type and type and type stuff to someone about something thats a) a matter of opinion b) a common and accepted practice.

Something for you to ponder, ol buddy:

3) Sometimes using common sense can do wonders. Instead of being a know it all teenager, and making people dislike you, you should ask questions and learn

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 11-26-2008, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Always makin friends, aren't cha, Matt?

MRusk - sounds like we're on the same page as according to the MD real estate tax website, this home is 12,000 SF

Couple of things old buddy:

1) The owner of the home is an architect.

2) Have you seen the 2008 Techo catalog?? I'd venture to guess that 96% of the homes in the catalog are estate homes.......with pillars It does no good for you to sit back and type and type and type and type stuff to someone about something thats a) a matter of opinion b) a common and accepted practice.

Something for you to ponder, ol buddy:

3) Sometimes using common sense can do wonders. Instead of being a know it all teenager, and making people dislike you, you should ask questions and learn

But I am not here to make friends. I could careless what techo has in their catologe. SRW entrace pillares= cheap.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

MRusk - it doesn't matter, all that is your opinion.

And you don't need to make friends. Whether you realize it or not, based on the amount of time you invest here - it is a fact that you are here to establish credibility. Such unqualified statements make you look like a complete babbeling fool

Does your house.....oops, I mean...does your parents house have fiberglass shingles on the roof or does it have a slate roof??

Some people have drywall walls, some people have plaster walls. drywall is cheap. What do you have??

I'm a contractor. I make my money off of selling production hours. If someone wants to purchase our time to build pillars with Legos - then we're going to install Legos. If someone wants us to build pillars with logs cut from a 24" dia Oak tree - then we'll do it.

If someone wants to pay us to get in our trucks and drive around the beltway all day long - then we'll jump in the trucks and drive around the beltway all day long.

Billable hours are billable hours. Easy as that.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt