Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2002, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

How to make a Brick Flowerbed ??

Hey guys, I really hope someone can help me out here I have done alot of research on the inet and cant find anything to help me. I just built (had built) a new house and moved in in November. Anyway, I have ALOT of left over brick from my house. And a few of the houses in my neighborhood have brick flowerbeds in the front and it looks really nice. So I was wanting some info on how this is done.

I layed the bricks out where I would like them (kinda a sideways "S" curve around the front of my house) and then spraypainted the grass where the bricks were....

so from here what??? I figure that I will have to get some wood and then dig the ground and lay the boards to form the concrete??? but I have never done anything like this before... what kind of wood?? how do I curve it??? what kind of cement?? etc....
Old 02-18-2002, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldn't even waste me time with the forms... i mean your only doing a flower bed planter here... what i would do is dig a narrow trench (a little wider than the brick and 4''-6'' deep) in the shape of the pattern of the bed you want. Then I'd fill the trench up with 3/4 crushed stone to a height that when u put the brick in, you happy with how much is above the ground. next, I would mix some mortar, fairly wet, (a simple sand mix from home depot will do) and fill the remainder of the trench in. Then while the mortar is still wet, begin laying your bricks around the footing in the pattern u want. leave about a 1/2''-3/4'' gap betwen each brick.
once you got all your bricks installed... wait to dry and then go back and fill the gaps between each brick with mortar....
Just a simple method that will get the job done fine.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

ok, one more question....

on the very right hand side of where the flowerbed will be, it slopes down.... so do i just do everything the same and then just put an extra layer or 2 of bricks on that side to make it all even at the top???
Old 02-19-2002, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you could do that... to make everything level... ike you would do if you were building a retaining wall... but why not just follow the slope of the land with the bricks? or will that look bad ... obviously, i cant see the job, to tell you... but do which ever method u like better.... add a layer underneath to keep them level all the way down... or just follow the contour ofm the land....