Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlscape View Post
If I do happen to find someone to take the muck, then there is the problem of finding someone with sealed body dump trucks to haul this stuff to the dump site. Regular dump trucks will leak all over the township.
I forgot about that detail. Our dump truck would leave a mess for miles. Great for straining.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I got my est. back from a very reputable, experienced pond excavation company. I can mark that up a few thousand and do the site restoration, which should just be some ruts and tracks through the lawn. They will protect the driveway and do everything else involve, fish, permits, draining the pond, ect. They say there is 400 + yards of muck in there. (1.5' deep muck in a 1/4 acre pond. $19,500 is their price to me.

What do you guys think of that pricing? Any thoughts? I don't think its too bad when you consider everything involved. I know they are making money though.

I will call a few local soil guys tomorrow before submitting this bid, and see if any of them have interest in the excavated slop, if I were to do the job instead.

Last edited by dvlscape; 11-25-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlscape View Post
I know they are making money though.
Shouldn't they?

$50 a yard. Dredged, removed, replaced. Sounds decent to me.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah thats an awesome price i was going to tell you to call that soil guy up there on skippack pike blacks farm 610 584 - 4513

if not i know a man who may be interested his yard is in quakertown 1800topsoil name is mike butler
Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Post this question in the organic forum, I know Treegal1 uses it. She might throw you some good ideas. (especially if you mention it might end up at a dump)

Man, how do you guys deal with this color scheme?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Just happened to stumble on the thread and thought I might be able to help.

I had a 1+ acre pond cleaned out and re-clayed this past summer and it cost me about $40,000! The clay had to be bought and trucked and was about a third of my cost.

The excavator actually left all the material on site and just dug some very deep holes beyond the pond. He used the excavated material as base material for some mounding and shaping as well as for fill for my neighbors driveway that he also installed. The material is highly organic and a great soil condition but needs to be spread fairly thing for it to dry out, and it takes a long time to dry out unless it is turned. Keep in mind if you try and bury this stuff those holes are very dangerous as they don't support any weight so if someone falls in they're as good as gone. I'm in a rural area and had no real concerns about anyone falling in, but I kept the area lined with temp safety fence and signs for two months. Also, the area around those holes will need to be reshaped one final time since as the material dries it also shrinks. My holes were about 30 feet deep and have settled close to 4 feet in some spots but avg about 2 all over.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

You might also try posting the question on the Pond Boss Website Forum...lots of helpfull experts/people.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Old 11-30-2008, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know some of the sod fields around south florida use muck base for sod.
YOu might calling a local sod farm?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the responses. I decided to have the experienced company handle the job. We will handle the cleanup and restoration, assuming we get the job. Its a high end property in the middle of a very nice community so the idea of disposing on side really won't work.

The sod farm might have been a good idea though, we have 2 that are pretty local. The problem of the sealed body dump trucks still exists?? even if I did find someone to take the sludge. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have any local hog farms you might check with them about renting some of their equipment. I dont know much about the specifics, but I do know hog manure tends to be pretty thin and generally needs some type tank with a pump to be transported. Then again, depending on the area, this equipment may not be embraced, even if for just a couple days.