Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

ChristmasCash.org

I run a landscaping company in Denver and am looking to supplement my income during the off-season. I have considered hanging Christmas Lights for a few years now but have never done it. There are stories on the Internet of people making over $100,000 in 2 months which is more than I make in a year. I find it hard to believe.

I have found a few start up kits such as ChristmasCash.org. It looks interesting but I am skeptical. Does anyone have any experience with this before I shell out 67$ on information I may already know?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You should be skeptical. 100K in two months? Mabye an established business, running multiple crews.

It would take years to build a business with a client base that big, and alot of hard work, just like every other business.

Also, keep in mind you have expenses and overhead, just like any other business.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRossen View Post
I run a landscaping company in Denver and am looking to supplement my income during the off-season. I have considered hanging Christmas Lights for a few years now but have never done it. There are stories on the Internet of people making over $100,000 in 2 months which is more than I make in a year. I find it hard to believe.

I have found a few start up kits such as ChristmasCash.org. It looks interesting but I am skeptical. Does anyone have any experience with this before I shell out 67$ on information I may already know?

no way not me, put me in a higher tax bracket then, don't need that headache.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

sell x-mas trees, much safer, and you better have high i mean high insurance to do x-mas lights and know your voltage to put ina socket, you burn down a house u wil be homeless,

not worth doing x-mas lights unless u have done it before with a company,

good luck
Old 11-25-2008, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know of a couple of companies in Denver that are doing quite well with lights. but then they have had a few years head start on you. I think in the denver market with the proper marketing plan in place, excellent training, reliable vehicles, and good weather, you could build to the level you want in a few years. I am clueless about the weather there in November, but I'm thinking cold, snow and ice and big challenges. To learn how to do it profitably and get training, I'd suggest you look at the big 3- Christmas Decor, Holiday Bright Lights, and Brite Ideas. following any one of those systems will be a huge step to making this happen for you. since you seem kinda skeptical about 67 bucks, you may be extremely averse to spending 8-20 grand for a system that works. But like most things, any Christmas light business will be what you put into it.

many folks think spending 500 bucks on a spool of cord and a box of bulbs and all in one clips, throw a ladder in the back make a Christmas light business. I know- there are several around here.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
I know of a couple of companies in Denver that are doing quite well with lights. but then they have had a few years head start on you. I think in the denver market with the proper marketing plan in place, excellent training, reliable vehicles, and good weather, you could build to the level you want in a few years. I am clueless about the weather there in November, but I'm thinking cold, snow and ice and big challenges. To learn how to do it profitably and get training, I'd suggest you look at the big 3- Christmas Decor, Holiday Bright Lights, and Brite Ideas. following any one of those systems will be a huge step to making this happen for you. since you seem kinda skeptical about 67 bucks, you may be extremely averse to spending 8-20 grand for a system that works. But like most things, any Christmas light business will be what you put into it.

many folks think spending 500 bucks on a spool of cord and a box of bulbs and all in one clips, throw a ladder in the back make a Christmas light business. I know- there are several around here.
At least they buy the spool around you! Here they just buy the strand lights from the big box stores and call themselves pro's!

Anyway, The cash in on x-mas guy owns "we put up lights". He is trying to form a nation wide network of installers, so he can market on a national basis, and just sub-contract out installs. It's an interesting plan I guess. He is a big marketing guy, and not the best at actually installing lights.

I would imagine if you spent a day or two reading all the forums here, you will get everything in that book, and then some!

This is not an easy business. It will take you longer to grow than if you were in the south. Your season is shorter because of fighting with the weather. Yet, it takes a lot of people until Thanksgiving to call you....
Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Member

So I bought the Kit from ChristmasCash.org . Overall, I am really pleased with it. There are a few pieces of information in the eBook that I would do differently but there are over a hundred pages of interesting information. My biggest complaint I have is that it is only available in digital format so I had to print it out at home.

I think the most valuable part of the Christmas Light Business Kit are the marketing materials that it comes with. Great business card templates and signs and flyers.

My landscaping business is at a standstill right now so installing Christmas Lights is a great way to make money running a seasonal business in the winter.

I have already started scheduling jobs. It's not hard at all to find business.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK, two weeks have gone by, hows it going?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for taking so long to respond, CNYScapes.

I bought the Christmas Cash kit at the end of November, started advertising immediately, had my first job a day later and by December 23rd, I had made just over $15,000 in profit. I put all the expenses on my credit card and managed to earn a flight to Seattle to visit my floks for Christmas which was nice.

It was great to have all the diagrams for hanging lights, and the marketing materials. The business cards and signs were pretty cool and it saved me a bunch of money since I didn't have to hire a graphic designer.

The kit helped in that it had certain ideas that I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Now, I have a database of 300 people that I will contact in October or November of 2009. I expect my business to at least triple this year since I started so late in '08.

My only regret is that I did not start earlier. I thought that $67 was kind of steep but I made that back on my first job. Also, the book was only available in digital format and I wanted a hard copy. When I asked for one, he said they weren't available yet. I ended up printing out the info at home anyway.

Does anyone else have experience with this or something similar? I am curious to know how others feel about this as seasonal business.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am very much interested in this, I have always been a bit of a nut when it comes to Christmas, hell I used to have lights up in my room when I was a kid by the beginning of October. I would greatly appreciate any info that may be available on this type of venture. I am just not sure what the market would be for my location in NY, just outside of Albany.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor

Tags
business , christmas , installation , kit , light