Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-11-2015, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

New here from SW Viriginia and NE tennessee (USA)

I have been working with a guy for two mowing seasons being his weedeater guy. Earlier this year he started letting me run the mowers, a 48 wright walk behind and a Bad Boy stander. I couldn't get the hang of the walk behind (i believe since i only got 2 days working with it, and being belt driven, my small hands just couldn't apply enough force to feel safe controlling it) The stander i just just fine on, i'm only 160lbs so i'm not as heavy as my boss and couldn't get to all the places he could (300+lbs)

Therefore the new guy he hired this season has now taken most of the work i was getting. i making literally 100 bucks a week (if that) only doing the HOAs on two days a week, when last year i was pulling in at least 400-500USD a week

I got my first yard this year and i'm push mowing and it pulls in 30 a mow and take me 30 minutes from start to finish. thats a buck an hour, and even more if i had a bigger mower i didn't have to push.

I'm looking into getting maybe a 48 inch hydro walk behind with a sulkey? (sp?) the thing that lets you ride behind it. I'm looking for something that can hang to a steepish bank and maybe adding more weight to the tires by adding antifreeze or sodium inside them (4wheeler trick i learned way back)

There appears to be money is in this industry but i'm looking for suggestions on a good mower. those hydro scags have my eyes on them, any experience with them? i know eventually i'll need a sit down with a bagger, but for my first couple year a 48 inch WB hydro would do just fine i believe. I already have a nice line trimmer, chainsaw, pressure washer, and an 86 f150 work truck. i just need a trailer and a mower

Any input is appreciated.
CMax981
Old 08-11-2015, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the site and good luck, you'll find all kinds of great info here, there aren't a ton of guys in this part of VA on here.

As far as a first machine a 48" WB is one of the more versatile choices, it can do hills fine and with a sulkey you can do large properties as well. You already have a push mower so smaller places won't be a problem. You can get a bagger for them, they aren't as nice as a bagger for a ZTR but they will work for smaller areas and jobs.

As far as which brand, there are fights all over the forum about the best, but really any commercial machine that you have a good dealer support for is going to work well. Dealer support is really key, if you can't get parts or service for your machine it is better to get brand X vs Y even if you may like Y a little better.
Exmark Viking 36"
Echo SRM-230, PAS-266, PB-770T
Old 08-11-2015, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKuhn View Post
Welcome to the site and good luck, you'll find all kinds of great info here, there aren't a ton of guys in this part of VA on here.

As far as a first machine a 48" WB is one of the more versatile choices, it can do hills fine and with a sulkey you can do large properties as well. You already have a push mower so smaller places won't be a problem. You can get a bagger for them, they aren't as nice as a bagger for a ZTR but they will work for smaller areas and jobs.

As far as which brand, there are fights all over the forum about the best, but really any commercial machine that you have a good dealer support for is going to work well. Dealer support is really key, if you can't get parts or service for your machine it is better to get brand X vs Y even if you may like Y a little better.
The last paragraph is one of the single most important things to buying a mower. Find a good dealer and demo what you can before you buy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2015, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The mower you need depends on the size of the properties you are cutting and if they have any gates.

As far as the brand, I would look to see what large successful companies in your area use. They are buying that brand for a reason and a lot of it has to do with dealer support.

Scag is a great mower, but not many people use them in my area, and some people in my area stopped using them for lack of dealer support. The Scag dealer in your area might be great. And you want a dealer who is close to where you are located.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quicks replied. There is a big company here in Bristol, VA/TN that i worked for for about week but had to leave since everyone was smoking meth and having me blow off stuff while they sat in the truck snorting pills and smoking meth.

They use a type of hydro walk behind thats red. idk the name of it, but i do know which mower shop they use so i'll swing by there today and check on prices.

Another question i'm having is what to charge per yard? charge extra for bagging? do i need to get contracts involved. I would like to keep it all under that table since i only deal in cash and dont trust banks (GDad was a banker, told me to never open an account and deal only in cash) but I have no problem if i get big enough to do it legit. any suggestions on that?

Thanks again
cmax1981
Old 08-12-2015, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMax1981 View Post
Thanks for the quicks replied. There is a big company here in Bristol, VA/TN that i worked for for about week but had to leave since everyone was smoking meth and having me blow off stuff while they sat in the truck snorting pills and smoking meth.

They use a type of hydro walk behind thats red. idk the name of it, but i do know which mower shop they use so i'll swing by there today and check on prices.

Another question i'm having is what to charge per yard? charge extra for bagging? do i need to get contracts involved. I would like to keep it all under that table since i only deal in cash and dont trust banks (GDad was a banker, told me to never open an account and deal only in cash) but I have no problem if i get big enough to do it legit. any suggestions on that?

Thanks again
cmax1981
Charge what you need to to make money and be competitive. Unfortunately prices vary and everyone needs a different amount so there is no set rate for everyone. Charge by size to determine initial cost then add in driving time and extra work you'll have to do. Bagging is a premium so charge extra!

I don't mess around with contracts for the most part I just don't see a need to
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2015, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Red in this area is going to be either Exmark or Toro, same company just slightly different products.

Contracts are optional with residential customers, if you do commercial that is where you really need to start doing them. If you were doing hardscape installs and such I would recommend contracts but just for mowing it definitely isn't necessary.
Exmark Viking 36"
Echo SRM-230, PAS-266, PB-770T