Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-26-2015, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Dirty word

So I'm a "handyman" by trade and I've been shunned by pretty much everyone who only does one thing. Seems its a dirty word in most industries. I guess being able to do many things makes me less capable of doing one thing very well... or so that's what they say.

Well my major in college was environmental science and I have always enjoyed working outdoors. I put an add out for lawn service when I bought a mower for the house and I have received quite the response. So much in fact that I decided to purchase a commercial mower and all the accessories. I have 4 regular accounts after only a month and have done several one time jobs on top of the other handiwork I get booked for.

I'll say this... there is certainly a learning curve to doing things the way people want, and learning to drive a zeroturn efficiently and without tearing up a lawn is still taking some time.

I have used this site for advice on a few occasions and it hasnt failed so far.
This is my first post and I thank yall for being so informative, whether you realize it or not.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey man good for you. What are most of your jobs like?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2015, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome!

Don't let people look down on your for being a "handyman". They are in short supply here. I admire folk like you who are mechanically inclined and can do or fix most anything.

A friend of mine started out in the business about the same time as I. He began as a home maintenance and landscaping business. Did most of the home repair during the winter and offseason and landscaping/mowing, etc. during the spring-fall seasons. Worked well for him. Eventually, he transitioned into landscape maintenance entirely.

Good luck on your new venture.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks.. I'm never doing the same thing twice. And thats kinda how I like it. There are certain things I dont like doing but I've figured that out through trial and error. Certain things I like to do for my home, but cant stand doing them for other homeowners... like painting... ugh. my lawn jobs started as advertising for clean-ups, but I was asked a few times if I could mow. So I started advertising. the rest is as they say.... Hopefully it fills in all the gaps at some point.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a Phrase - "Jack of all trades, Master of none".
Old 07-27-2015, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My wife has this LOOOOOOOONG piece of paper with all sorts of things written on it.

Can I forward said list and directions to my house?

Name your price.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
There is a Phrase - "Jack of all trades, Master of none".
I think this is very true. If you do ONE thing, you'll be more efficient at it . You should be able to bring more value per hour to your customers and profit for yourself. I'm not totally satisfied with the home improvement guys I've hired. In the long run, hiring a building contractor that has a framing guy, an electrician, a plumber, a roofer,etc would have cost me thirty percent + more... But now I want totear it out and do it myself. I would rather research and DO these jobs myself... But I'm more efficient at grounds maintenance.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do irrigation repairs because I have to as a part of my commercial service - but it is not really my strongest point. I think I do a good job of it but I am far from a master at it because I do not do it all day every day. I am a good troubleshooter and will get it fixed correctly.

For this reason, I do not do installs even though I could do installs.

Just one example. Does not mean I can not put in a good porch, patio, fence etc but it would take me longer than people that do it all the time. Hence to be competitive I would not make as much money as others that do it all day long.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I started doing this because I had to come home. I do not work well with others nor can I stand working for dirt for a boss who is incompetent yet makes more than I do. My training is pretty widespread and though I may not have "mastered" much of what I do, I have found that I am just as competent, if not more so, than many of the subcontractor labor I've worked side by side with. These guys are friggin apes that couldn't do more than one trade because they couldn't retain much more. I'm not saying that is true for all, but many of the ones I've worked with. I have worked professionally in trim carpentry and as a cabinet builder and lead installer, doing kitchen and bath remodels. I am certainly skilled in the jobs I take on, albeit not having my own contractors license. but I don't necessarily prefer doing that work, or else I would have gone through the hoops to obtain it(I still may to ad some winter work). I came home to start a business, for my sanity. I will do what it takes to be successful. You can call me a "jack" if you want, it wont offend me, because I know I do what it takes to please my customers, and I do not cut corners, and I do get paid well enough for it. I came here to obtain advice for getting into an industry that is more in align with my passions. I love the outdoors, I majored in environmental science in my bachelors program at USF, and I am currently pursuing a second AS in Horticulture and Landscape management. Hopefully I can trim through the weeds and get to the root of some good advice on this page or others like it, or else I'll build my own models and share the success story with all of you, who may stand to benefit from my advice later on down the road. Thanks yall
Old 07-29-2015, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
My wife has this LOOOOOOOONG piece of paper with all sorts of things written on it.

Can I forward said list and directions to my house?

Name your price.

No offense but I'm past the "craigslist to-do list, no job to big, $25hr handyman" status lol