Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2008, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Supertrak dealer

Holt CAT has announced that they have added Supertrak to there line.

I have tried in the past to build a Holt Custom Product for this but didn't get allot of interest. I hope this venture will lend some credance to that argument.

http://www.holtcat.com/news_detail.asp?newsID=76
Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll bet YellowDog will be banging his head when he hears about this!

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Will they sell the Takeuchi version if a customer does not want the CAT version?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My CAT sales guy just called me today to tell me. Supertrak, while powerful, is outside of what I do most of the time. I don't clear large tracts. I clean up nasty brush piles in hard to reach locations and do a lot of cleanup for tree companies and set up for my big chipper. I was just telling my wife today that if I get my CDL and go to doing nothing but brush mowing, a supertrak might make the most sense.

Before I do that, though, I think I am going to go the route of a small horizontal grinder. I found this niche that's in between the guys who haul all their limbs off and the big companies that grind 500 AC or bring in a tub grinder. It keeps me fairly busy making these ranches "purdy" and that's what I like about using a skid steer. I have an arsenal of attachments and it is cost effective to run a skid and grapple, shear, bucket, mower, mulcher, grader, roller, etc. I don't think it would be as cost effective to switch attachments on a 150k to 200k machine.
I hope the local Holt dealer does a good job of support on these machines because I have always liked the concept of super trak. I may be interested in one in a few years or if I ever find a good operator for one..I might be able to swing it. They say if you are always working IN your business you can't work ON your business.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-26-2008, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll bet Holt will get alot of requests for the CTL with out the mulcher, just give them the extra HP and steel tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 11-27-2008, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I proposed building this machine several years back, of course I want to use a differant CAT engine than the C4.4 but that's just me.

I guarantee I can build a machine to rival the supertrak at far less cost and equal if not better features. Just have to convince the people that matter.

If you look back at what Holt has done to develop land like the King Ranch, the root plow, funnel dozer, twin D8 etc. I think a 150 hp CTL fits don't you.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Carter, I think you are onto something but do you think that components designed for a 90 HP machine would hold up if the CTL was used as a small dozer with that much HP and weight? I have my doubts about that but, a CTL that weighs about 15k with a bucket or 6 way and with heavier components would rival the D3 market wouldn't you think?
The way things are going is very interesting. Personally, I am more interested in the smaller niche.
I've found that just having a skid and a grapple to collect dead wood on ranches can be profitable. Less weight, less ground disturbance.
A big issue in Texas is live oak root disturbance and the spread of oak wilt. Mulchers like the supertrak with steel tracks can damage and compact root systems even though they boast lower PSI. I stopped running aggressive tracks a few years back.
I think a really heavy duty rubber track version would be a positive in the design of a future machine. One of the issues is the oak wilt problems occur in the hill country which is rocky..how to overcome that with rubber tracks is something I think about often.

There is a lot of money in the middle of the state of Texas. Confronting oak wilt issues and removing cedar in areas where there is oak wilt is a growing business and the more hp you have on a compact frame is certainly a good thing.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see what you are saying but I was really more intersted in improving a product rather than redesigning one.
items on my list would be:

Closed loop high pressure mulcher circuit, very similar to Supertrak.
Change engine to higher hp&displacement.
Full cab pressurization with structural steel front door, ballistic glass, and external high capacity filtration.
Full automatic fire suppression system.

I would put all this stuff on a CTL, not a MTL but customer input would effect that decision.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Carter, I think you are onto something but do you think that components designed for a 90 HP machine would hold up if the CTL was used as a small dozer with that much HP and weight? I have my doubts about that but, a CTL that weighs about 15k with a bucket or 6 way and with heavier components would rival the D3 market wouldn't you think?
The way things are going is very interesting. Personally, I am more interested in the smaller niche.
I've found that just having a skid and a grapple to collect dead wood on ranches can be profitable. Less weight, less ground disturbance.
A big issue in Texas is live oak root disturbance and the spread of oak wilt. Mulchers like the supertrak with steel tracks can damage and compact root systems even though they boast lower PSI. I stopped running aggressive tracks a few years back.
I think a really heavy duty rubber track version would be a positive in the design of a future machine. One of the issues is the oak wilt problems occur in the hill country which is rocky..how to overcome that with rubber tracks is something I think about often.

There is a lot of money in the middle of the state of Texas. Confronting oak wilt issues and removing cedar in areas where there is oak wilt is a growing business and the more hp you have on a compact frame is certainly a good thing.
We have oak wilt up here too and it is not a good thing, really sad to see trees like that go.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
I see what you are saying but I was really more intersted in improving a product rather than redesigning one.
items on my list would be:

Closed loop high pressure mulcher circuit, very similar to Supertrak.
Change engine to higher hp&displacement.
Full cab pressurization with structural steel front door, ballistic glass, and external high capacity filtration.
Full automatic fire suppression system.

I would put all this stuff on a CTL, not a MTL but customer input would effect that decision.
There is a guy that super-tunes the Blizzard plows and makes them much better, you may be the guy that unlocks the potential of a CTL in the grinding market.

Tags
cat , caterpillar , holt , supertrak