Register free!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

thats deep. are you just using it to carry the rain water from the gutters, or french drain and rain water from gutters?
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 11-29-2008, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Part of the project is going to entail a buried electrical service, so the run next to the garage had to be no higher than 19 inches below the surface for the conduit to lay on top of my tile, and still be around 18 inches below the surface.

So that is why it is deep to start with, and I wanted a steep grade at the end to help push the water out faster.

It is going to work as a foundation drain, french drain, and drain for the gutters too.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks good, have fun backfilling

Inject the trench with a water hose to help settle it once you have backfilled. Tamp, and let settle another week or so, and then revisit for a final tamping/cleanup.

What are you going to do with all of the extra soil. Particle size and structure looks really good. I'm guessing you havent had rain in a while?
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 11-30-2008, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post
Looks good, have fun backfilling

Inject the trench with a water hose to help settle it once you have backfilled. Tamp, and let settle another week or so, and then revisit for a final tamping/cleanup.

What are you going to do with all of the extra soil. Particle size and structure looks really good. I'm guessing you havent had rain in a while?
The dirt is a medium grade, highly erodible top soil. It was, and I say was, fairly dry until we got 6 inches of snow last night and today.

The dirt is going to build a berm in front of the area that I trenched along the garage. I think in Pic #1. It's going to help divert some of the surface water away from that corner.

The trench is going to be compacted as I fill it. I'm just going to use my sledge hammer every 4-6 inches of washed gravel.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Everything sounded okay until you mentioned fabric across the top of the pipe or trench.
Fabric is bad news as it will clog and "blind" the drain.
Remember that 4" corrugated pipe is smooth on the inside and fines/soil that migrate into the drain can easily be washed out to the collection basin.
In fact my crews are currently installing over 700 linear feet of corrugated perforated and solid pipe to drain a property prone to flooding during a rain event.
The work pays well too, $4500 just for the drain work.
Provided I can get my camera to function properly I'll take some photos.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
Everything sounded okay until you mentioned fabric across the top of the pipe or trench.
Fabric is bad news as it will clog and "blind" the drain.
Remember that 4" corrugated pipe is smooth on the inside and fines/soil that migrate into the drain can easily be washed out to the collection basin.
In fact my crews are currently installing over 700 linear feet of corrugated perforated and solid pipe to drain a property prone to flooding during a rain event.
The work pays well too, $4500 just for the drain work.
Provided I can get my camera to function properly I'll take some photos.
Do you think I should line the trench with fabric and not cover it, or not put in any fabric at all. the suggestions for this fabric is to put it on top of your backfill and put soil on top of it. I'm going to have to wait another 3-4 days for the snow to burn off to finish it.

Now I'm confused on what I should do.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you need fabric where you are using rock. or else the soil will fill in the pore spaces between the rock, thus eliminating the unique characteristic of the rocks ability to carry water easily.

txgrassguy. thats only $6.40 a ft. are you using rock in that as well? or is it just solid drain pipe? we charge 10' ft for drain with rock minimum.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
you need fabric where you are using rock. or else the soil will fill in the pore spaces between the rock, thus eliminating the unique characteristic of the rocks ability to carry water easily.

txgrassguy. thats only $6.40 a ft. are you using rock in that as well? or is it just solid drain pipe? we charge 10' ft for drain with rock minimum.
Ya, I'm going to use fabric over the whole thing then, I want rock all the way to the surface to help create a good drain field.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well, you want to place soil for like 4" at the top. you don't need to have the rock exposed. it will look ugly, and it will become hard to maintain. wrap the fabric over the top, and cover with 4" of soil.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
well, you want to place soil for like 4" at the top. you don't need to have the rock exposed. it will look ugly, and it will become hard to maintain. wrap the fabric over the top, and cover with 4" of soil.
Thanks, I was thinking that. In the area next to the house and garage is going to have mulch put down, so a couple inches of soil and a couple inches of mulch should do the trick. the rest of the run is in the driveway, so putting rock over my fabric won't be a big deal.

Thanks for your help. I've been 90% positive on how I wanted to do this project so it would last for many years, thanks for helping confirm my initial instincts on how it should be done.

This project is 100 feet and I'm charging around $2700, that's including 3-4 yards of mulch and the removal of the 4.5 tons of rock to get started.