Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There has to be somebody that has washed stone! I found Valley View by doing a search on yellowpages.com for gravel in Bloomington. There were several other listings, VW just caught my attention b/c they had a website listed.

Or do a google/yahoo search for the same. I honestly can't believe there isn't anything out there.
www.qualitylawncare.biz
Serving Western New York since 1998.

"Everyone has bad breaks but everyone also has opportunities. I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it..." -Samuel Goldwyn
Old 12-04-2008, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

just buy pea gravel, it will be fine.

yes, quality is right, someone is going to sell that stone. i doubt there is not a yard available within 50 miles or so. unless you live in the boonies.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Update

So, after a lot of calls, and cold, then warm, then frozen ground, I'm about done.

Luckily I was able to get the driveway section done today so they can actually park close to the house again. I used a large simplicity garden tractor with a bucket to remove my pile of mud/frost/dirt over closer to where I'm going to build my berm towards the front of the house. Unfortunately, it was raining, so I couldn't drive up any closer to the exact area as I would have liked.

I did get the trench filled first. The drainage pipe is encased by 4-6 inches of pea gravel, and the rest of the trench is filled with CA-11. Basically it's CA-6 without the gravel dust. It was fairly clean, angular, and the best I could come up with after talking to suppliers the last 4 days.

I couldn't tell you how many times I heard, " Just use pea gravel ", or, " You don't need fabric if you have a silt sock ".

Oh, the kicker. I broke the tip of my left pointer finger when I was hammering nails to hold my fabric in the frozen trench. Not a glancing blow either. Full Swing, hand at the end of the handle, and square on the finger nail. I almost passed out.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

glad to know its getting done.

pea gravel will hold more water... just fyi the smaller the particle size, the more water it can retain.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post
glad to know its getting done.

pea gravel will hold more water... just fyi the smaller the particle size, the more water it can retain.
I took that in consideration. That is why I used it around the pipe. I figured the pipe will be able to retain some water and get it moving down the drain, rather than moving into the pipe and leaching out where I didn't want it to.

The CA 11 is angular, shouldn't hold any water, so it should allow any water to seep downward towards the pea gravel and drain pipe.

I've thought long and hard about it, I'm trying to not have any issues when it's done. I also considered using solid pipe around the house, but the homeowner didn't want it.

Now, if I could only get my wife to think about something long and hard.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
www.eagle-irrigation.com

Old 12-20-2008, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

In our area the downspouts have to be solid all the way out (to your rock pit, city drainage system) and a second line of perforated pipe for the perimeter drain. All PVC non of the big O products. I is easy to rotorotter later if you have a problem.
J
Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Hate to post this as its too late to help, but angular rock actually compacts very tightly and has the least pore space. Round rock will not lock together and this prevents it from compacting and thus leaving pore space for air and water. I worked in a soil testing lab in college and we frequently tested sands for these characteristics. Think of two triangles placed opposite one another and arranged in opposing directions... notice they lock together and fit like a puzzle. Butt 2 circles together and notice the difference and available pore space above and beneath where the outside diameters touch. Angular rocks and sand are only desired for construction where they are used in foundations and road bases. Hopefully this will help you next time.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

So what is the consensus about fabric over the top of the drain? I'm at the point right now in mine where I need to decide if I want to fold the top of the fabric over, or, get rid of it. FWIW, in this area, I am going to have crushed stone all the way up to the surface.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
So what is the consensus about fabric over the top of the drain? I'm at the point right now in mine where I need to decide if I want to fold the top of the fabric over, or, get rid of it. FWIW, in this area, I am going to have crushed stone all the way up to the surface.
Cover it over as tight as possible.