Register free!

Old 02-19-2002, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Request Feedback

Hey, I recently decided that I needed to re-think the way we market and price irrigation systems. Since we don't believe in taking short cuts, I just don't seem to compete well on a price level with many contractors in my area. I was constantly trying to keep my prices more affordable in order to be more competitive. And I am sick of spending a lot of time and money doing irrigation systems right but not making that much profit.

I finally decided that if I was going to keep on doing irrigation I was going to do it from a "quality" marketing standpoint as opposed to a "price" standpoint.

So I've upped our prices a little bit (a few hundred per zone than what they used to be) and our hourly rate. And I have re-designed the irrigation section of our web site in an effort to appeal to people who are more interested in having it done right and having a really nice system than saving money.

But I don't want to appear arrogant or conceated. So I just wanted some feedback from you guys on the changes. Can you look over these two pages and let me know what you think? What impression does it give off? Any suggestions or critiques are appreciated.

http://www.lewislandscape.com/irrigation_systems.shtml
http://www.lewislandscape.com/superi..._systems.shtml

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-19-2002, 02:47 AM
Banned

Jim, I think it looks great. I don't think it makes you sound arrogant or conceited at all, just very proffessional.

I did have a question about one sentence. I read it a few times and it didn't sound right to me. Perhaps a typo? This one:

"Systems are installed by our company foreman or owner on site at all times."
Old 02-19-2002, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, I was trying to word that better and couldn't think of how. Maybe someone can help me. I was just trying to say that when we install irrigation systems, our foreman or myself are on site all day (as opposed to a lot of guys around here who just leave a team of mexicans unsupervised all day).

Old 02-19-2002, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim

You've seemed like a together kinda guy so far but the pricing is bizarre to me in NJ. But I'm speaking from not knowing the economics of your business and the economy of Tigard, Oregon.

On the website, same kinda stuff I've been pushing all along and been dissapointed with. I have NO answers. I'm not pushing the right buttons or I'm trying to do something all wrong but think I'm right. I don't know.

I don't think you should lock yourself in with micro sprays, owner/forman or computerized clocks. They may not always be the best way or what the customer wants. Also with the personel issue you can back you self into a corner as people will always want Jim or XXX to talk to or to come out and will be unhappy when they can't get that. If you want to build a good company don't associate a person with it, associate tangible benefits with doing business with your company.

If you want to discuss the price concerns exchange phone numbers with me by email. Just to much back and forth to type.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"We can provide with with references......."

May want to check out your wording on the second page.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim,

How about a irrigation technican will be on site at all times during the installition process?

And what do you guy charge up that way?

Chuck
Old 02-19-2002, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't insinuate that bigger pipes means a better system........................not always the case. Right?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand the "per-zone" pricing. How can every zone be the same?

I've installed systems where there may be a zone with 8 spray heads along a strip or small area that may require 150' of pipe from the valve manifold, as well as Zones that have 5 rotor heads requiring 250' of pipe all on the same system. How can these zones be priced the same?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, I would probably remove that part of the web page. What if there are two zones right next to each other that require different watering? i.e. a shrub zone next to a flower bed. Each of them is very small. that could eliminate a customer immediately when they see the pricing. Across the board pricing is okay to do bids with but the customer does not need to know how you arrived at your price.

Hey Ground master? Where in Colorado?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I don't understand the "per-zone" pricing. How can every zone be the same?
Well I know it doesn't seem logical from where you guys come from. But where we live and work, it's all sub-divided neighborhoods with small lots, big houses, and relatively small yards (1500 sq. ft. to 3500 sq. ft.)

We always use about the same amount of materials, per zone, from one house to another.

Furthermore, the prices aren't totally firm. The text reads; " Below are some sample rates. These prices are close to what you can expect to pay, but prices can vary depending on the needs and layout of your landscape." And usually the prices I list are accurate. But just in case I do run into a situation where one zone requires more materials or labor this gives me flexibility to change our rates.

I wasn't looking for feedback on my pricing as much as I was looking for feedback on the new concept I am trying to get across that the irrigation systems we sell are top-of-the-line and worth the extra $. I have researched our pricing for our area extensively and am pretty confident about the way we price things.