Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2008, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you service on holidays or rainydays?

I recently had an argument with a client in regards to when service will get done.
what happened is that I do his apartments on Tuesday, but it rained hard from Monday till Wednesday. So when Thursday came with sun, I tried to complete the route of Monday and Tuesday but didn't have time to complete his apartments. So friday came but with vast rain. Thank God none of my other clients complained or even mentioned this to me but I would like to get some info from my fellow landscapers.
What would you do in this situation? If a holiday is to come what do you do; do you spend more time the next week or do you just Mow, blow n go at all the properties in attempt to finish faster? Or do you deduct that visit from your monthly invoice?

Thanx y'all, I have always had this Q but finally had an argument with a client and have found the need to seek wisdom from y'all. Thanx in advance!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We do not cut in the rain. That policy is clearly stated in our contracts.

We come as soon as we can after the rain has stopped and the ground has dried sufficiently.

We do not deduct from monthly bills any missed visits.

I also do not argue with clients.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if it;s raining off and on light we will cut in the rain or try to wait it out and start. i have in our policies that every one gets a copy of -if it rains for 3 days in a row and your service day is in 1 of those 3 days you there will be no lawn service that week- So on non contracts no service = no charge. On year long contracts they pay the same thing every month,so yes they pay for that no service day. you say apartments so i am thinking commercial prop. needs to be a year long contract.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 12-02-2008, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Old Oak Lawn, do you then charge double the next time on properties that didn't get cut because of 3+ days of rain (and didn't get charged) if you have to double cut?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can't control the weather. We'll cut in a light rain, and work sunup to sundown to get back on track. We will work Saturday if need be, but no Sundays or Holidays. If it rains for 3 days and you can't get to everyone, there nothing you can do about it.

One thing we do, however, when a customer complains like that, we put a note in their account indicating that the customer is "Day Sensitive" and we'll go out of our way to make sure those customers get cut as close to their normal day as possible.

Also, if a customer complains about us cutting in the rain, they get a "rain sensitive" note, and we won't cut when its raining or wet. Sometimes I'll make that note if I notice that they have a low spot that starts to show brown tracks when it rains, even if they don't say anything.

If you get Turf Magazine, there is an article in last months issue about rain delays, check it out. If you don't get it, you can sign up for free somewhere on this site.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
Old Oak Lawn, do you then charge double the next time on properties that didn't get cut because of 3+ days of rain (and didn't get charged) if you have to double cut?
No extra charge if i double cut it the next time we come out. 3 days of rain thats stops us is not the norm,so if we have to double cut a few we do that for our customers. But most wont need it.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 12-09-2008, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

We cut on Holidays. Most of the holidays happen on Monday. So we schedule commercial properties for Mondays. Also, they like it to look good all week. Where residentials like it to look good on the weekend.(so we mow on thur or Friday)

Rain is not your fault as it is not the customers fault. Rains on Monday and you don't mow. Mow Tuesdays and then go back and mow Mondays on Tuesday. Your guys didn't have hours for Monday so the extra hours on Tuesday will not effect over time.

But in any case, you should have your policy in writting in your contracts.

www.bbyardscape.com
Old 12-09-2008, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

"You can't control the weather. We'll cut in a light rain, and work sunup to sundown to get back on track. We will work Saturday if need be, but no Sundays or Holidays. If it rains for 3 days and you can't get to everyone, there nothing you can do about it. "

Shouldn't that read, "There is nothing i'm willing to do about it"

Whatever it takes to get the work done, if at all possible.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are behind because of the rain MOST of the time your customers understand. HOWEVER

I'll have the office call all the customers and explain to them we are behind and we will be there to service them ASAP.

we try not to give them a specific time frame because WE are behind and the grass is little out of control. (They will tend to hold you to that time)

Communicate most of time and they will understand. 98% will

Tags
holiday , rainy day , service