Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2002, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Pitney Bowes Mail/Postage Meter

I just received a offer in the mail from Pitney Bowes for a 90 day "Free Trial " for a postage meter. I am about to do a limited direct mail (1.000-2,000 "personalized" letters (as recommmended by Sean Adams) to some upscale neighborhoods and was wondering if the meter was a money saver as compared to me purchasing first-class stamps $$!! Has anybody ever used this meter.If so was it worth it or just a waste of money and i should start a lickin?? They charge you for ink refills(5$) and $200/yr to rent the meter and then you still have to purchase the postage. Any feedback in regards to my direct mailing or the meter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had one for years and don't think it was worth the extra cost. We love self stick stamps. Other thing is if you wanna look personal, stamps are better than meters.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Millenium Member

Go to www.Stamps.com, you can print envelopes, postcards, brochures, and such with stamps from your computer.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have any input on this. However there was just a recent thread with the same question with lots of answers from people that have used them. Do a search to see what they all said. Kirby's suggestion is a good one too. You can then use whatever envelopes you wanted without the meter expense.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

It is nice to have but, it is not worth the money. I think they were refering to refilling the machine with postage when they said $5.00 The in cost of ink is $39.00 and it will last long enough to do approx. $150 in postage. I sent mine back. When I was returning it they offered a lower rate to keep it. If they could offer a lower rate then they should have done that from the start.