Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2008, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One more comment. You sound like me. Trying to justify this account with not enough saved up capital or equipment. I took on 20 houses weekly for a property management company right when I started. No trailer, one home depot lawn mower, one homelight 25 mph blower broke on 6 lawn, and a self feeder homelight weed eater. I worked twice as hard because I refused to buy new equipment because I didnt think it would help that much, 6 months later I got a toro, another 6 months a walk behind and another 6 months a rider. I could do all the accounts in 7 hours with a helper maybe a long day with out a helper. All the houses where pretty close to one another. Listen I am telling you these guys up north do 1000000 more leaves then we do. If there where not leaves on the ground you wouldnt be asking so listen to them. GET A LEAF LOADER you can make one. Also you cant do that many lawns in one day with 10 guys. No way.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you're gonna have 2 guys just blowing leaves off roofs. You really need to get a plan on paper to figure this out. Just my opinion.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
If you are correct, and he could do a good job with a ZTR, the leaves still need to be moved from the mower to a leaf bag. So in 5 minutes they blow the leaves, mow the lawn, rebag and move to the next one. So 5 minutes per house? Is that 12 per hour? So 96 complete in 8 hrs? So 4.16 days with a ZTR?

Unfortunately, I think reality will strike, and they will be able to do 4 or 5 per hour with a ZTR, assuming the leave cover is minimal. Maybe 10 "ZTR days" of work.

The time killer is bagging everything in leaf bags. He doesn't want to use a leaf-loader because he doesn't want to buy one, and then have to haul the leaves offsite.

This is a tough one.
Leaf bags? Are you grandpa? Most people have trucks with beds that will haul the leaves and debris. I've never heard of a professional stuffing leaves into trash bags, at least no one, including myself, that I know does it that way. I get to laugh at the homeowners that do though. I love it when they use the little 'kitchen' bags
Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Leaf bags? Are you grandpa? Most people have trucks with beds that will haul the leaves and debris. I've never heard of a professional stuffing leaves into trash bags, at least no one, including myself, that I know does it that way. I get to laugh at the homeowners that do though. I love it when they use the little 'kitchen' bags
I have never bagged a single leaf in my life, Oh Jason The Wise One. I suggested a leaf-loader and men with backpacks.

For whatever reason, he told us that the last company bagged them, and told us he cannot rent and will not buy a leaf-loader. I cannot see how he will get this done...even with ten guys.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 12-04-2008, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a reason the other guys didn't get their 30 days, my bet is you bid it way less than the guy before you so they wanted to save some money and have you do the cleanups instead of the old LCO. A bid this big takes some planning....WHAT WAS YOUR PLAN when you submitted the bid? Have a dealer order a loader for you....its the only realistic way to get them done....spend 3k on a leaf loader and save a ton of manpower and fuel
Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with greenboy and a few others on this thread. You have been given suggestions but keep on trying to figure out how to do it. You obviously new the facts when bidding this job so again how were you planning on doing it when you bid it?!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a legit question

GreenBOY assumes I lowballed. The BOY is wrong. I came in slightly under. About 2% Is that lowballing?

The former LCO pissed a lot of people off. He became complacent and wasn't doing a good job. The ones who didn't want to change simply didn't welcome change.

I believe that Lush GreenLawn just called me a liar. Some of you people are a trip. It's like road rage. An otherwise ordinary individual turns into an ahole when armed with a slight amount of anonymity assuming he'll never come face to face with the person he's honking at. Probably a good thing considering I don't like being a called a liar.

I spyed on this property for weeks. Months. I watched everything they did and how long it took to do it. One unknown was cleanup. It remained variable in my estimate until the end. I did talk to a few people about. I ran my numbers by three trusted individuals. 1 a chief estimator and the other two both large maintenance company owners. My numbers are good.

What I did not anticipate was that I would begin in December. My logic was simple. If I get the bid, he's got 30 days based on the bid invitation that would be december. I felt since all that is left is fall cleanup, it would be a slam dunk since he's been doing for 3 years or so. I was planning on observing that process and since I would begin in January, I would have 10 months to prepare for late fall.

I was wrong. He got pissed and pulled out.

Make sense? lol come guys if you want to participate I appreciate it. But don't call me out or call me stupid. Surely you've got better things to do and its not very flattering of you and certainly would make any new comer here anxious to post anything.

As a matter of fact. I've determined that despite that fact you guys are correct regarding the loader. I can't get one in time. So I'll figure it out. I thought this was a resource of info but what it is is too many immature people.

Thanks to almost everyone but i got better places to be.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We blow the leaves out of the beds and spread them in the yard with the blowers. Then mulch them down some and suck them up with a 61" scag tt with spindle bagger. Sounds like a good option for your situation.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Stop getting upset cause if you pick through the messages you'll get some good advice. Bottom line is you need a great plan to do this. You arent going to roll in there will 10 day workers and 400 bags and get R done. You are talking about thousands of bags and hundreds of hours of labor. Not to mention what would happen if it rained and destroyed the bags and the town didnt pick them up. Each lot has 1 tree. Each tree will drop 1 yard of leaves. Thats 400 cubic yards give or take. As I said before you will spend more in labor than if you just find the right tools. You should have 2 guys on each side of the road blowing up the curb, and at least 2 trucks with 10-20 yard dumps on rotation taking leaves away, taking turns pulling a large loader. Even then it will take more than 1 day. This is at least a 20K job for 2 visits.

Take a look at this and think leaves cause it is exactly what I thought when I first saw this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGoSk9C18p0
Old 12-04-2008, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I said it seemed like you probably underbid it because of the small amount of information and planning you portrayed to us....we only know what you type, nothing more.....I can't say if you underbid or not just said it seemed that way....I have not seen the place so I can not say either way...being 2% off the former companies number also does not help me know if you bid high/low etc...One thing to consider though is that 2% of 400 homes should be a large chunk of change.

Why was there not a start date in th contract? Thats a helluva lot of work to unexpectedly have thrown on your lap.

Shovelracers method will be perfect for this job

So you submitted a bid WITHOUT knowing how you were going to tackle the cleanups....How did you calculate your numbers for the cleanups...????