Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2008, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice machine but spindles wear out to easy

I have owned WS's for about 6 years at my company, I have 3 52"'s. I'm pleased with the way the machines run, cut grass etc, however I'm not happy with the spindles. Every year it seems that each machine needs one. Being greaseless, I'm why have such a poor spindle, with an otherwise solid machine. I have spent quite a bit of $ on parts and labor to replace these and hate doing beginning of the year tuneup, knowing I gonna spend a couple hundred bucks per spindle per unit. While obviously my machines are out of warranty, I do know that my older exmark units, never needed replacement under such low hours, as I greased them regularly.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have been running WS since 2000 and have never lost a spindle.....and that includes runnig double blades some of the time.....

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 12-06-2008, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

if you have a scag dealer near by, put thier spindles in and you wont have a problem. My wright rep is the rep for scag as well and this something he tells everyone. He told a customer has around 10 standers and when he purchased each one he took out the wright spindles before it cut any grass.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Sponsor

dmk395,

This is an issue that seems to always cover both ends of the hours spectrum as evident by DRM Ventures response. The Scag spindle is of the taper roller design and it will bolt right into the fixed deck cutter decks, and gives you the ability to grease the spindle. The industry has shifted to the ball bearing type set up which is a sealed bearing. Usually the culprit in failures is water, especially with power washers more commonly used in the industry. We always recommend never washing the underside of the deck, instead just scrap it clean.

Best Regards
Wright MFg. Service Dept.