Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2008, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Opinions on selling landscape rock

I own land that has an enormous amount of rock, both on land and creek all sizes. Also old rock walls scattered throughout.
I would like to sell the rock without expending alot of capital.
Was thinking about allowing contractors, or do it yourselfers to come, pick out the rock they want. and charge by the ton
They load and haul away.
What would be a fair price per ton, and what kind of personnal injury wavier would I need to protect myself from liability?
Does anyone do this, or buy rock from this type of business?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have thought about doing something like you are talking about but I think you would need to sort it out to sized piles. I think if you let everyone come in it may get to be a circus. You want people to come, load and scale out without hanging out all day, right? It is a good idea just have to see what the market would like(money or convenience).
Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I have thought about doing something like you are talking about but I think you would need to sort it out to sized piles. I think if you let everyone come in it may get to be a circus. You want people to come, load and scale out without hanging out all day, right? It is a good idea just have to see what the market would like(money or convenience).
What I'm trying to avoid is having to buy equipment to extract and sort the rock.
They could use their equipment or labor to get the rock they want, in the size they need.
Just wanting to know what a fair price would be.
Kind of like a cut your own Christmas tree farm. lol
Old 12-10-2008, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My thought would be on doing it the way you are talking you couldn't charge much. The reason I would say that is the customer has to bring their machine, sort out the rock which could be very time consuming. Do you have a skid or excavator? If you have some spare time you could do some sorting and then also you have more idea how much you have in quantity. If you have a machine, you could also sell some black dirt or fill dirt. As for pricing, check your area at the stone/supply yards and see if it would be worth it.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
My thought would be on doing it the way you are talking you couldn't charge much. The reason I would say that is the customer has to bring their machine, sort out the rock which could be very time consuming. Do you have a skid or excavator? If you have some spare time you could do some sorting and then also you have more idea how much you have in quantity. If you have a machine, you could also sell some black dirt or fill dirt. As for pricing, check your area at the stone/supply yards and see if it would be worth it.
Yes, I have a small skid steer.
Saw this this morning:
http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...QAdIdZ47192128
Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to be hands off why don't you call a local nursery or stone yard to see if they would be interested in buying it. That way you don't have to deal with the public or do the harvesting. I know sometimes people call me and many times I go get the rock if its reasonable and its my off season.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworker View Post
If you want to be hands off why don't you call a local nursery or stone yard to see if they would be interested in buying it. That way you don't have to deal with the public or do the harvesting. I know sometimes people call me and many times I go get the rock if its reasonable and its my off season.
What do you pay per ton?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Field stone with color around here will wholesale for about 85-90/ton. I usually subtract my labor and machine as well as travel from that price. Much of the price of stone is getting it from the woods to the lot. Doesn't matter the price here though. What matters is what the market is there.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasswhacker
I own land that has an enormous amount of rock, both on land and creek all sizes. Also old rock walls scattered throughout.
I would like to sell the rock without expending alot of capital.
Was thinking about allowing contractors, or do it yourselfers to come, pick out the rock they want. and charge by the ton
They load and haul away.
What would be a fair price per ton, and what kind of personnal injury wavier would I need to protect myself from liability?
Does anyone do this, or buy rock from this type of business?
If you are charging by the ton, you will need a drive-on scale that can be certified by your state's weights and measures department. That's not gonna be cheap.

For pricing, check other suppliers in the area, and cut your price in half. You'll have to. Here's why- If I'm buying rock, I want to go somewhere where the rock is sorted and the quarry can load it for me, or better yet, deliver it for a nominal fee. I don't have the time to haul my machine to the pit and find the rock I want and load it myself, so if I'm going to buy my rock that way, it's got to be really cheap.

Also, if you plan on running this as a legit business, there's the issue of permits. I don't know much about this, but extracting and selling rock from your land sounds a lot like commercial mining, and there is bound to be lots of state and federal rules and regs to deal with.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A pallet scale would suffice for weighing individual pallets. Or you could just figure out how much could go on an average pallet and sell it by the pallet.