Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-20-2002, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

New vs. Used Truck Purchase

I need to purchase a truck for this upcoming season. It will be my daily driver, pull a 7 x 16 enclosed trailer and equipment, deliver mulch, rocks, topsoil, and whatever else when needed.

I need some input on purchasing a new vs. used truck.
Here is what I am considering.

2002 Chevy 2500 HD 4 x4
Trailer tow and snow plow prep package.
Retail Price: $29,000 (Does not include 6% sales tax)
My Price: $17,200 (After GM discount, 2002 rebate, Car trade-in, includes 6% sales tax)
Warranty
Payments: $330.00 Aprrox. for 5 years.

Used 3/4 ton between $5-7,000
Paid off with sale of my car.
No Payments
No Warranty
Possibly someone elses headaches

Please help me decide. The pros and cons of both.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How old is the used???
I have 4 used trucks and it is all the time something. Thank goodness they are not all at the same time.

If I had it to do over would have got newer used than all the worries

That's my 2 cents.

MARK DOUGLAS
Old 02-20-2002, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have a certain truck in mind. However, I have seen some in the $5-7,000 price range. Typically 1991 to 1995 depending on condition, mileage, options, etc.

My concern is I don't want to have to be fixing a used all the time. The down time would be a major issue for me. All though their is no gaurantees about the new one either. At least it is under warranty.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

The 91-95 route may work but you may end up spending $300 per month just fixing it at times, not to mention the days you dont have it because it is in the shop.... its your call but if it was me and it was my only truck new is the way to go.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know it's easy to "spend" someone else's money, and I'm actually someone who likes old trucks, but based on the info in your post I am inclined to say go with the new one.

I don't know how "into" working on trucks you are, or how you're equipped for tools/facilities, but even when they are kept up, older trucks will require minor "running repairs" that can add up to a lot of $$$ if a garage does 'em. Currently I'm building a frame to swap into my truck, anything short of major engine/trans overhaul work I prefer to do myself. Trucks are also a hobby for me though.

Sounds like downtime will be a big problem for you if it occurrs, less chance of that with the new one especially if it's a daily driver. Mine gets the summers off. A 1991 is over 10 years old now and that's starting to get up there, I got stuck doing some (expletive deleted) rust repair at work on a '90 Dodge van last week.

Obvious downside of the new one is the payments never stop even if the work does. You know best how things look for the next 5 years as far as your biz goes.

I still suggest the new one for your application.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go for the new

I'd go for the new as well. First off, with the used, you're buying someone elses truck that might be in great shape.. or it spent it's entire life plowing and is beat to $hit and has many hidden headaches. If you buy new, you know how you drive and will take great care of it from the very beginning. You'll know the vehicle history as well as have the pride of a new vehicle. If anything does go wrong with the new vehicle, you have the warranty. If something goes wrong with the used one, which you have no peace of mind when, where, or if anything will go wrong, it's all out of your pocket, your money and downtime.

Here in central NJ, the used car market is DEAD. With all of the financing incentives, 0% financing, etc etc new cars are flying and used car lots have no traffic. You might be able to pick up a great deal on a used car, but simply for your peace of mind, knowing the new vehicles history since you're the driver, I'd go for the new.

Just make sure that the new has every option or item on it that you DO want and doesn't have anything on it that you don't want.. Makes no sense to spend $330 a month for a new car, only to put $1500 on Visa for this. that, the other thing, this little mod, etc etc..

Gary
Old 02-20-2002, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Down time is a major issue. I have a full time job and lawn care part time. I am attempting to go full time lawn care hopefully in the next two years and part time at my current job.

If the truck goes into the shop, not only do I not mow, I don't go to my regular job.

I can do small repairs. (Oil changes, brakes, shocks, exhaust, etc.) However, I don't want to touch the major repairs. (Engine and tranny replace, etc.)

On the upside, If I purchase this new truck, I can sell it in the future for a profit will all the discounts included.

I think the best answer is to purchase the new truck, but I don't want to make the wrong choice and pay the piper.

I guess that is what being your own boss is all about. Decisions.

Thank you for the input.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that buying a used truck has its good point and bad
1.Buying some one eleses headake
2.My have more things to start fixing if the miles are high.
3.don't know how the truck was maintained or driven.
4 but you will save on sales tax,exise tax and the the cost is much lower.

Buy new get what you want gas ,diesel,auto,stick.
have less mechanical problems and every thing is under warrenty
but payments are higher.

If your gonna get it to do rock ,soil,and mulch deliveries I would go with a dump truck from the start.A pickup is ok for pulling a trailer and doing small deliveries but loam and rock will kill it.If you gotta buy new a dump is not that much more but for an every day driver you might want to go with a pickup.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when ever i buy a truck i look for dealerships who have trucks that have just come off executive leases. in the spring of 2000 i picked up a 99 ram 2500 4x4 4-door long bed with only 4000 miles on it for 24,999. the truckk stickered for 32,999. it had not bed plowed with and was in showroom condition. i would look around for something like that, i know that situation doesnt come along to often but keep your eyes open

Eric Estes
Five Star Lawn Care LLC
Old 02-21-2002, 06:27 PM
Banned

vandyke dodge has left over 2001 2500hd w/ plows for $27k out the door. i live right down the street and had my fiance's ram in there last week