Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2002, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Bad Ram2500
when ever i buy a truck i look for dealerships who have trucks that have just come off executive leases. in the spring of 2000 i picked up a 99 ram 2500 4x4 4-door long bed with only 4000 miles on it for 24,999. the truckk stickered for 32,999. it had not bed plowed with and was in showroom condition. i would look around for something like that, i know that situation doesnt come along to often but keep your eyes open
I agree....buy a 2 or 3 year old truck that a homeowner used or off of a lease.....let the previous owner take the hit. I wouldn't consider anything with high mileage or from another contractor though. My last jeep I bought w/ 24,000 for $12k and sold it with 125,000 for $6500. That's not too bad. If I would have bought it new for $23-24k I still could have only got $6500 for it. My current truck I bought 3 years old with $36k and got at least $10k off the sticker of a new one.

jeffyr
Old 02-24-2002, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

NEVER BUY NEW!
Buy a nearly new one! One that someone else cannot afford or trades every year because they have money to burn! Someone else takes the biggest hit on the "lot drive off" and you get a truck that is nearly new!
Just my .02
Peace,
Bryan
Old 03-01-2002, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Buy almost new, especially if you plan on putting a plow on. Get something that has less than 20k miles and is not older than two years old. That way, you know the plow hasn't been used much (this winter anyhow) and you should get a better price buying the truck and plow together rather than putting a plow on after you buy.

Another idea..... If your car runs well and gets good gas mileage, maybe you could take the savings and keep your car so that you don't have to drive the gas guzzling truck when you could save some $$ driving your car. Besides, it is significantly cheaper mile-for-mile to drive a car when you factor in the cost of repairs and gasoline for a truck. Drive your car into the ground and keep the truck with low miles and it will be dependable every day. Also, it would allow you to tell the IRS that your truck is strictly for work purposes and then you can deduct the full cost of operating, which is generally more than the standard deduction that IRS gives you ($0.33-0.34/mile - most trucks cost more than that to run). Works for me!

And as for the older used stuff, stay away from it! Your repair bills will be higher than the monthly payment, not to mention the truck will be out of service during those repairs. I learned that the hard way, paying $500-1000 for repairs on a regular basis for an older F250. Old stuff is junk, you want to be the guy selling your old stuff, not the other way aroound. Besides, repairs kill your cash flow.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with buying an almost new truck except, I believe I am getting just as good of a deal on a new truck. (GM discount, rebates, low interest rate = low payment).

In reference to buying one with a plow, I am not sure I am going to be able to plow next winter anyways. If it snows the day I have to be at my regular job, then customers are going to have to wait. I might sub this out for just that reason for know.

As for my car, it is a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Gt. The car is in excellent shape with 109,000 miles on it and gets 28 mpg. However, it is getting to the point where things are starting to go wrong with it, i.e tie rod ends, 3rd set of tires, brakes These are normal items that tend to fail after 100,000 miles. I would need to sell it in order to get the payments down on the truck. I also would have to keep insurance on both vehicles.

I appreciate the input.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, two of the four days I work at my regular job, I can take my wife's car to save on the miles on the truck. It is only 9 miles one way for me to go to work.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

dudes, Gm employee discounts nullify the "off the lot depreciation" alot of employees drive the trucks and sell after a year and break even.

as far as mulch delivery and replacement, is it not best to shovel off truck into wheelbarrow for going over lawn? just a point I thought I would make but I think the dump body advice is worthy.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:21 AM
LawnSite Member

trust me on this one. BUY NEW, i can repair almost anything and over the years it wears you down. if you only have 1 truck you are putting all your eggs in one basket. i own 3 new trucks and love it.your payment isn't to bad. if you are going to plow buy a 1 ton. the price isn't much different with your discount. the 1 ton has a better resale value.as for the plow buy a western or boss vee blade.good luck
Old 03-09-2002, 09:55 AM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
I always buy new and most times put em on order and get 18% gm employee discount on the trucks.
There is two options on the gm discount put it on order and get a straight 18% which is good if their arent any rebates.
The second is buy off lot for 5% and haggle price and also get rebates.
Back in the oct we opted for the 18% on the one we bought the truck didnt have any rebates when we bought .