Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pavers cheaper than 4" of concrete?

I've been doing decorative concrete installations for almost a year now. Most of what we do is a knockdown texture in various patterns and colors starting at $2/foot. I had a customer that is looking to add a 400 sq ft patio that I did an estimate for today. I quoted about $4/foot for the concrete (excavation, forming, pumping, finishing, and providing 3000 pump mix with fiber) and just under $2 on the topping (we're pretty slow and can still make money on the job).

I was shown a written estimate from a well known hardscaper that does good work pricing the same 400 sq ft at just over $5/ft. I'm fairly sure that my cousin does their taxes, I wonder if she could tell me what their margins are? I thought pavers were $3+ a ft just to purchase not counting labor and overhead. I really didn't think I'd be competing head to head with the paver guys. I thought that I could offer a cheaper option, we'll see how this one goes.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats only 5 yards of concrete, what are you paying per yard? Here it's $105 per yard w/ fiberglass, and companies would charge around $400-600 for labor (forming & finishing). Not sure what topping goes for here as its not very popular yet. Just some prices here.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lowest quote I've got on 5.5 yds (going 5-6" around outside for strength) $610.00

Pump (can't get to patio with truck) $220.00

Need to remove 8" of soil to get on same grade as house with proper drainage. Excavation, form, and finish $820.00

I think my price is very fair. I even quoted my contractor rate on the topping.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

we start at 15 bucks a sq ft...
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paver prices in Florida can be relatively low, depending on size & shape because so many folks are making them locally. Your base installation is Florida can be very cheap, especially in South Florida. No freeze or an occasional frost makes for little or no base when laying on coral sand. That stuff can compact tightly and with the proper edge restraint, paver walkways or patios have no movement, when properly interlocked. here in the northeast, we can get pavers for less than $2 per square foot, but proper base preparation is at least double that.

Patterned concrete and basic paver installations are priced pretty closely in many areas, due to prep, labor costs and materials. More extensive base preparations and paver styles and patterns can greatly increase a paver installations cost. It's all relative to region and quality, or with this market, what people can afford to pay and what we can afford to work for.

Kirk
Old 12-12-2008, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, we cant get that work done here for close to that price...If you could do that here, I'd have a ton of work for ya...

but something to think about: if you ask your cousin to disclose her employers margins, you might be putting her in an uncomfortable position. A more ethical approach that everyone might be more comfortable with is to have her look at your margins and tell you, based on her experience, where you might be high or have room but bump it up. no one could be upset about this, if it all came out...

just a thought
"Extend the Twilight"
LIC# 923166
Quality Sacramento Landscape Lighting
Landscape Lighting Design Professional Installation
Elegant Outdoor Landscape Lighting
Old 12-24-2008, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fool32696 View Post
I'm fairly sure that my cousin does their taxes, I wonder if she could tell me what their margins are?
If she does, make sure she isn't doing your books......
Old 12-27-2008, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

doesn't concrete always crack?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
doesn't concrete always crack?
Here in southern Louisiana, the only guarantee that I will make for concrete is that, with time, it will eventually crack

Pavers, on the other hand, can be remedied using a small amount of mason's sand to fix any shifting that may occur with time...

Provided that the client can afford it, I will always try to sell them pavers over concrete.

And yes, here pavers are typically more than concrete, dependent upon the pattern, product used, etc.