Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2002, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

waterfall into a pool

I was recently asked to do a small waterfall dropping into an inground pool. I have done it on a larger scale before but not this small. The waterfall will only be about 3' in height. I was wondering what size pump to use or should I tie it into the existing filter system? What size and type of piping to use due to the chlorine in the water? Any info would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I would tie into the pool pump return. You can use SCH 40 PVC as this is used on most pools and chlorine does not effect it. You can adjust the flow in the fall by a ballvalve. This would be the same as another return in the pool. The amount of water needed may require you to increase the pump and impeller on the filter. Most pool pump returns are 1.5" pvc.
You need to be able to turn the water in a pool every eight to ten hours for good filteration. I never put a waterfall on a pool but have worked on many pools.
Turning the water means that if a pool holds 30,000 gal of water the pump needs a flow rate equal to around 60 gpm.
60x60x8.5=30600
Old 02-21-2002, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have done 2 waterfalls into pools and longslawn has it exactly the way I have done it. One has been in 3 years and 1 for two years with no problems. You just have to remember to tie into the plumbing when they are building the pool or else it will be buried under the concrete pool deck
Old 02-22-2002, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

If I tie into the pool pump return would I even need a second pump? I figure I would need one since the pool filter probably does not have enough power. What size should I use so I don't collapse the filter but have enough pressure to get to the top of the waterfall? Should I create a y in the pipe to bring the water to the waterfall and back to the existing pool inlets? The few that I have done were much larger ( about 10' h x 5' w) than this one and needed to run off its own returns. Thanks for any help you can give
Old 02-22-2002, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you have to figure out how much water your existing pump can put out, how much water your waterfall needs, and how much water the pool ooutlets are using. This way you will know if the existing pump has the capacity to do what is needed. Both times I did it there was but each case is different.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you first need to know the waterfall water requirments in gpm's, then you need to know the pump output. Try a hose or two and see if this enough water. If it is, you will not need to add an additional pump. If the waterfall is very wide and requires a large volume of water then you may need a booster pump. If that's the case you could add a booster pump that is in addition to the pool pump. You do not need a filter on the pump because it's on the return side of the filter. If you are not going to run the waterfall at all times then I would reccomend a Y with ball valves. When you want to run one you could restrict the other and go from there.
What size is the pool water volume?
What hp is the pump now?
Is the waterfall to run at all times?

You also can reduce the return inlets in the pool to a smaller size orffice to reduce the return rate from the existing inlets. This will reduce the flow back into the pool and allow you to use the remaining water for your waterfall. It will also increase pump pressure.

As far as pipe size to use, that depends on how much water you need to supply the waterfall. I would think by your description 1" or 1 1/4" would do it.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

longslawn,

I anticipate flowing about 45-65gpm to create a decent sized waterfall. The waterfall will be about 1 1/2' W x 1 1/2 H. The pool holds about 32,000 gals with I believe a 2-3 hp pump (not to sure, need to check on that) and is running a 1 1/2 pipe. The return piping will have a gated ball valve on it in case of any unforseen problems that arise and so the waterfall is not constantly running.
Old 02-22-2002, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Running through 1 1/2 inch pipe you should be able to pass about 50 gallon per minute which will make your 1 1/2 foot wide waterfall flow at a depth of 3/4" deep. That is pretty deep and noisy. You will find that with the ball valve you will be cutting down the flow quite a bit.