Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2002, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I want YOU here!

I am wanting to add a few employees to the buisness and in my eyes and profit wise I do belive it can be done. However in the past years working tons of hours I belive my customers have got use to ME showing up each week or ME doing all the work. Does anyone have ideas on how to bring people in to replace ME without loosing customers and the personal touch HELP ME! Maybe someone else out there feels the same......
Old 02-21-2002, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you won't lose the personal touch....just won't be YOUR PERSONAL TOUCH. If you want to grow you got to let go....I am finding that out myself. 6 years ago I hired my first help and now they want HIM. and not me.

The personal touch is great, if that is what you want to give then stay small and charge much more.

Otherwise, get used to having people complain and get used to some turnover. That is business.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony said a lot and very well!!!
Trying to find the right person or "right hand man" is not that easy. When you find that person (you'll know it) - do whatever you can w/in reason to keep him/her. Just remind them that they are your eyes and ears to the client.

Bob
Old 02-21-2002, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turfdude....if only I could just follow my own advice!!! I should be a consultant huh?
Old 02-23-2002, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Realize that when you add employees, they will leave at some point. You must have back up - and you may be it. Always stay close to some degree with your customers. The customers you have today may expect you, but the new customers you add, may only know George, your foreman. The relationship George develops with your customer is important. But think about what happens when George leaves, as he will at some point. What knowledge does George take with him about your customers. Now you've got to rebuild relationships, and you might loose some as well.

Manage your customer information in a central location - and constantly update it so that anyone can capably take care of customer needs without falling into the same traps/pit falls that others have fallen into in the past. The worst thing to a customer is having to retrain your new foreman to how they like to have their work done. If they feel like you have too much turn over in your key positions, they might leave to find stability in another company.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ideal solution

Saw this idea in a turf mag years ago. An operator with 3 other crews (I think that was the number) would rotate routes each week. That way all the crews got to know all the properties, and the owner got to each property at least once a month (Yeah, he was a working owner).

Added benefits: each crew may have their own special expertise, and that expertise gets applied on all your properties, not just one route; never have to worry about sending someone to a long term client's property, and that operator not knowing the property; client knows that you are still in charge, and care enough to be there on site, even if its' not every week; crews stay sharper - their work will be seen by all others in company, also there is less tedium, not just doing same properties week after week. Customer complaints about one crew will alert you to possible problems in that one unit.

Of course, clients will not like to see this type of change, if they are used to just you. That's where your personality and sales acumen come into the picture. Good luck.