Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-16-2008, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

gps tracker question

..i figured this forum was closest to my topic...

does anyone have a good way of gps tracking equipment? i was thinking one of those little "bug" devices that are about the size of a button battery you always see on movies

i know most cell phones have gps locators in them...

i found some larger versions but theyre the size of a pack of smokes and the battery life is only 2 days, there are dog collars with a 7 day battery life. i was thinking of something small that would stay on stand by until asked to transmit coords

the large unit i may hardwire to my new skidsteer, as it will be on salt piles at different parking lots all winter, some without cameras, though chaining it to a ballard does give me a little sense of security

but for a small unit, i was thinking of bugging my mower and even my brand new push blower, which doesnt have a battery to hardwire to....even if not cost effective i want it for the principal...you steal my things and ill find them and have on paper where they are...

anyone ever tried anything like this?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up Stolen equipment

No I have not but the equipment rental place here in Kentucky takes an Arc or Mig welder and welds their name all over their equipment so if it does get stolen it is easily identifiable to everyone who sees it . I know it has cut down the theft of their equipment to nearly zero .
1996 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4, 6.5 Turbo Diesel "F" Engine,7x16 Enclosed Trailer, Ferris IS2000Z 61in., Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48in., 21 in. Snapper, Gator Mulcher Blades On All Mowers, All Stihl Hand Held Power Equipment, NRA RECRUITER,.40 Beretta Carried Everywhere,,I Work Alone ! If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective! Ted Nugent!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Stolen equipment

Someone on a different thread suggested to try zoombak.com for a GPS system .
1996 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4, 6.5 Turbo Diesel "F" Engine,7x16 Enclosed Trailer, Ferris IS2000Z 61in., Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48in., 21 in. Snapper, Gator Mulcher Blades On All Mowers, All Stihl Hand Held Power Equipment, NRA RECRUITER,.40 Beretta Carried Everywhere,,I Work Alone ! If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective! Ted Nugent!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I have looked at this. Its very pricey but I would love to know where my stolen stuff ends up. It is usally someone close to you or that you know. would love to know how well this actually works.

http://www.surveillance-equip.com/surveillance2.html

Mike
Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For vehicles and laptops, there's Lojack. On my laptop I have LoJack. I bought it for college and plan on using it for my landscape business after I graduate with my 4 year degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!
Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERSTREAK INC View Post
..i figured this forum was closest to my topic...

does anyone have a good way of gps tracking equipment? i was thinking one of those little "bug" devices that are about the size of a button battery you always see on movies

i know most cell phones have gps locators in them...

i found some larger versions but theyre the size of a pack of smokes and the battery life is only 2 days, there are dog collars with a 7 day battery life. i was thinking of something small that would stay on stand by until asked to transmit coords

the large unit i may hardwire to my new skidsteer, as it will be on salt piles at different parking lots all winter, some without cameras, though chaining it to a ballard does give me a little sense of security

but for a small unit, i was thinking of bugging my mower and even my brand new push blower, which doesnt have a battery to hardwire to....even if not cost effective i want it for the principal...you steal my things and ill find them and have on paper where they are...

anyone ever tried anything like this?

I work for a GPS Tracking company and there is nothing like what you see in the movies. The reason for this is that batteries are too big and don't last long enough.

For a skidsteer, the best thing to do would be to discretely hardwire a system in. As long as you turn it on about once a week, it won't kill your battery and will be able to give you a current location every minute.

GPS can also help with much more than just telling you where your stuff is.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me or email me at kory@neroglobal.com
Old 01-07-2009, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeroGPS View Post
I work for a GPS Tracking company and there is nothing like what you see in the movies. The reason for this is that batteries are too big and don't last long enough.

For a skidsteer, the best thing to do would be to discretely hardwire a system in. As long as you turn it on about once a week, it won't kill your battery and will be able to give you a current location every minute.

GPS can also help with much more than just telling you where your stuff is.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me or email me at kory@neroglobal.com
I sent you an email!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone that wants to be able to locate a stolen machine, should atleast check into something similar to http://www.axonn.com/axonn-smartone.html

It has a battery that will last 5+ yrs. You can't track its every movement. But if you ever had something stolen you could know where it is at.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seeing all the interest in this topic makes me want to see a "bait mower" on tv. Have you seen the bait car shows on court tv? It would be cool and interesting if they did that for us lco's.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/main.asp