Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2008, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

tips on figuring square footage

say that u have a yard that is different length on all sides? can someone help me with my math skills?
Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The best way is to just section it off. Length x width. So if you can square it off, it makes it easier. Otherwise, a triangle... it's 1/2 base x height. So you measure the base and then measure the height and divide it by 2. There are so many different ways to measure, if 10 people measure a lawn, you will get 10 different sq.ft. But they should always be within a few feet of each other.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Zillow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TScapes View Post
The best way is to just section it off. Length x width. So if you can square it off, it makes it easier. Otherwise, a triangle... it's 1/2 base x height. So you measure the base and then measure the height and divide it by 2. There are so many different ways to measure, if 10 people measure a lawn, you will get 10 different sq.ft. But they should always be within a few feet of each other.
I go to www.zillow.com for starters. Just plug in the street address, subdivision name etc. and it gives you sq. footage of whole lot. Then I pace it off like you mention. After doing several yards and recording my paces I have a pretty good feel for how long it will take and that helps me figure the price. I also take in account things like obstacles, large hills, and long driveways/sidewalks as these things take more time. Hope this helps.
Stihl KM110 Combi
Stihl KM55 Combi (Edger/Trimmer/Hedger)
Stihl BR600 Blower
Old 02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do pretty small properties... 3k of turf is a lot around here. My stride is two feet. I walk off each section and jot it down, in squares or triangles. Then I take the numbers home, and do an estimate. It actually works pretty well... if I come up with 3.1k, it's 3.1 k plus or minus 100 sq feet. That's close enough for me to figure my material costs and to come up with an estimate.

Bigger properties are a different story. I don't have any large ones, so... I don't use a measuring wheel.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
say that u have a yard that is different length on all sides? can someone help me with my math skills?
Yep. Charge enough so you make money. You don't need to know the exact square footage. By now, depending on your experience, you should know how long just by looking at the lot.

If not, a bit more experience will help you.

Most guys undercharge for residential anyways. Knowing the exact size just makes you less money...

Old 02-23-2008, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I calculate for mulching jobs most beds are not square or rectangles so i break everything up into squares and rectangles and figure it that way you can probably do the same for odd dimension yards.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you eventually do have to know by just looking at it, in the end it's not just the best way but the only way.

To get some practice see if you can look at some lawns and I mean look at them, like friend's houses, and ask them how big is their lot, that will get you started on gaining some idea. You could ask customers, but they might underestimate.

Watch out for acre+ lots lol
Some of us do look it up on County Websites, but for myself that's only a heads up I still have to go look at it.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

here's what i do if the lot is sometimes difficult or hard to square up....just find the longest distance across one way and then find the longest distance across the other way, but make sure they are perpindicular, like north to south and east to west then just multiply them two lengths together to find MAX sq. footage and that you can base your bid for whatever you need, without losing your tail guessing on sq ft.