Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't agree with you on letting him go.

He did the best he could to disguise the situation.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

He should have done better. While we don't have all of the facts, the result is clear: somebody was offended by his action, and while it may not seem like a big deal, it is not unreasonable for a homeowner to expect that the local lawn care professional will not be urinating in the street (albeit from the trailer). Regardless of how bad nature was calling, the employee exercised poor judgment by urinating where someone could see him. We have all been in near panic bladder emergencies before, yet had enough sense to be discreet, and to make sure nobody could potentially see. He was fired for poor judgement. If I pick up the Big Gulp between jobs I have to plan on purging some of that liquid; I plan on stopping somewhere and at least keep a cup or bottle in case of emergency. I have had to go in the back of the trailer, but I closed the door to ensure I didn't offend anyone (this was at a jobsite for a full-day installation. I had a cooler with drinks, and didn't break for lunch).

Image (and performance) is important for retaining business, as well as growing, and one "aw shi*" wipes out 100 "attaboys" in the minds of most people. I don't think most people are sympathetic to a contractor peeing in the street.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Apparently, the lady didn't think it was a big thing.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This just goes to show you have to tell some employees everything. Don't urinate in public, mow over the flowers in the beds…..Not the best thing for your employee to have done but I am sure we have all worked with people that make us wonder how then even made it to work. Some people just do dumb things all of the time and some just can't think for themselves.

Gravely_Man
Old 01-08-2003, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

shame on you! all the guy did was pee. holding in pee when u really have to go can cause health problems. so she was offended. hey, one time this guy sneezed in front of my house, i was really offended, wonder if he should have lost his job over it.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Apparently the lady did think it was a big enough deal that she yelled at the guy AND called his boss. The only reason that she felt better about it was through Jim's response. Had he not responded in a professional manner and instead said something like, "Hey, the man had to pee!", do you think she would have been willing do any business with him? Jim turned around a negative situation and left her with the feeling it was not a big deal. He also demonstrated his excellent customer service and professionalism.

Your crews represent you and your company. Negative exposure is damaging. People don't always tell others about positive experiences with companies (unless it is truly outstanding), but will go out of their way to tell ten people about negative ones (think about vehicle purchases/service).
Old 01-08-2003, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

and if the guy was a good employee, what is a $600 job compared to what he was worth to the company.?
Old 01-08-2003, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

What a great story. Made my day! Another option for the guy would have been pretending to get someting out of the back of the pick-up with one hand, while doing his business with the other. but with her watching closely at all, it would have been very amusing. I've already got off the mower to "check something out" (way out back, of course) thats a good way to go!
Old 01-08-2003, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can top the peeing in the street story, as the local town mayor I had to call the Dept of public works to have my water meter replaced. of course about 1 hour later 2 guys show up in the citys water truck and hop out. The foreman looks at the meter and either determines he needs another part or whatever but leaves the other guy standing there waiting, Well after 10 minutes and one trip to the bushes to pee The kid lays down on the ground and falls asleep, No sh*t , Mind you that the mayors house is pretty much a modest 3 bdrm Ranch but this was all it took, I grabbed the phone and called the Director of the DPW and asked him to bring a blanket up to 637 n. oak st when he asked why I told him that one of his employees was here and I was fairly concerned that his nap would be more enjoyable if he had a blankie to cover up with.. believe it not the guy still has the job.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The focus so far has been on the employee and/or Jim. I think the customer showed Jim she's a keeper. Not because of the extra work but, because she understood that employees don't always represent a companies policy/procedures. Too many people get a bug up their ***** about something and cut their nose off to spite their face. SHE'S A KEEPER AND COULD GET YOU SOME GREAT REFERRALS BECAUSE SHE PROBABLY ASSOCIATES WITH LIKE MINDED PEOPLE. OOPS! I must have offended the censor, I spelled A*$*$ without the astericks.
Closed Thread