Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

just another reason to buy enclosed trailers....many a time I thanked the Lord I had one....you guys with them know what I mean....
Old 01-10-2003, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys are crude and can pretty well go anywhere. I wonder how the gals handle this kind of situation?
Old 01-10-2003, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Sooners
Guys are crude and can pretty well go anywhere. I wonder how the gals handle this kind of situation?
Empty cup.

See it done.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh Lord. Someone dredged up this old thread? Hehe.

It got even better later - I forgot to tell you all.

The employee who peed was fired, obviously. And so he went to the State to see unemployment benefits. And they call me asking why he was fired. I said he was peeing in the street right in front of a few customers homes - and right in front of a lady who wasn't yet a client.

So they deny his benefits.

So he appeals.

We have a phone trial conference call thing. And the judge just treats him very harshly. She berated him even for his stupidity. So after the appeal trial I am thinking, "Ha!!! Take that sucker! She told you off! You're gonna get what you deserve!" She said she'd mail us her decision.

A week later I get her decision in the mail - HE WINS THE APPEAL! I couldn't freaking believe it. Something about because it was an "isolated instance of mis-judgement."

I was floored. I couldn't believe it. Well, that's government for you. And that's where our tax dollars are going.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-10-2003, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I sounds to me like you handled the situation very professionally. Image is very important ESPECIALLY in the services we provide. When I read the title of the thread I thought sure you we're going to say she came out and propositioned the guy-or the whole crew! LOL
Old 01-11-2003, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim Lewis You are First Class. I commend your for your professionalism and handling of this matter. We all should be challenged by you.

As for the whole thread, I've been on the floor twice rolling. What and experience.
Made my day Thanks!
Scott
Old 02-02-2003, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This from the guy who says mulching is unprofessional and you're a scrub if you dump debris at the back of a customer's wooded 14 acre property.

How professional.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Well Brucy, my senior member friend, How would you have handled the event?
Old 02-02-2003, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whitleys
Well Brucy, my senior member friend, How would you have handled the event?
My comment was in reference to a 14 acre property with lots of woods that another member here handled. He was trying to make a point that it was damaged by mulching. However, this guy weighed in with comments that mulching is unprofessional and that's total BS, first of all. Then he makes a comment that dumping clippings and leaves on a clients property is grounds for being instantly fired. Again, total BS. Apparently he's never heard of composting and prefers to fill landfills with tons of clippings and leaves. And I know of very few customers willing to PAY for the costs of bagging and hauling off leaves. They're not all millionaires, you know. Just how many people out there in America can afford to have 14 ACRES bagged and hauled off on a regular basis? Maybe this guy lives in a land of nothing but pristine tree-free lots, but around here, everybody dumps their leaves in a compost pile on site usually because there is no legal place to dump them short of buying a lot and dumping them there. Doesn't make the mowing guy a scrub, as this "professional" claims.

But back to my point. He's calling many of us here scrubs because we use technology to save time and customers money , yet he's got low-lifes working for him that go pee in other peoples' lawns. Apparently it ticks him off that not everybody wants to pay the $5,000 a year he wants to handle their lawns. Yet another lawnsite member who can't handle honest, above board competition. I'm guessing he's never owned an Exmark mulching deck. Cuz it works. I did it for the first time this season and got ZERO questions or complaints. Nobody could tell the difference. I suppose I could go buy a $50,000 dump truck and $5,000 vac system to handle bagged leaves so I too could be a "professional" like him, even though nobody even cares.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dude. Drop the mulching b.s. Nobody wants to talk about that anymore. We killed those threads a while back. Everyone's sick of it. You're way off base here. Not to mention totally off topic.

And just because I had one scumbag out of the 50 or so guys who've worked for me over the last decade doesn't mean I am unprofessional. I fired the guy because of it. That was the most professional thing I could have done. If you've found a way to screen out bad employees and hire perfect employees every time, please share your secret with us. Because we're all dying to know.

But if, as I suspect, you have no clue how to prevent situations like this from happening, than quit piping off and changing the subject and go back to your mulching and dumping your debris behind your clients trailer.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Closed Thread