Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

these incandescent are a huge reason I am doing away with them. I got a few cases of pro series LED in from CDI, they look exactly like incandescent believe it or not. Sealed bulbs, so once they go they go, but unless the lens is cracked through the diode I am told they will stay lit. They are a little bit more than the contractor series from HBL, but less headaches, that is worth more.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we used to do 13 commercial buildings for this ownership group here locally. All the buildings were at one exit. everytime it would rain we would have to go up on the roofs and reset the gfci's. I am talking dozens of outlets. I noticed one building that never had to be reset. why? the GFCI was wired improperly. I loved that building.

The real kicker is when you plug into an outlet that also controls something important inside. we moved a cord to another circuit today for a client that had a fridge inside the garage. when that one pops, the food can spoil. luckily we discovered that before we were on the hook for food replacement.

And some houses and buildings never pop. I don't know why, other than other homes may be better or worse "grounded".

true story- we do a building for one of the local electric companies. it is LED, probably around 4-500 and we had 6 GFCI outlets to choose from, and ran several timers to those outlets. what a mess it was the first year resetting all those every time it rained. then the maintenance guy tells me they always used to plug into this old outlet under the stairs outside. we ran all the power to that plug, one timer, and have had no problems with it other than massive bulb replacement in the last 3 years.
and yes, we have lost customers over gfci's.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm glad this thread came back from the dead. Lots of good info. I had my first GFI call back this year from an old outlet. Then I had my second and third call from a second house. Finding the reset point on installs will be a must from now on. Plus making customers aware of this potential problem in advance can help.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

we will be including GFCI info on our new 3 tab cut flyer that goes into our bid packets. If consumers are aware of the water issue and why it exists, they are much less likely to fire you.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Amen... I thought I was doing something wrong.. You East coast guys are getting what we got Sat night...I just finished fixing all our problems...Fingers crossed!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

More rain last few days. More gfi problems
Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty much not a drop this season here in central Texas. Less then 1" since Early October.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Landscape Lighting View Post
More rain last few days. More gfi problems
Yep, driving me nuts....doesnt start raining until the timers kick on....nice and dry all day when the lights are off

www.CTPreservation.com

www.ChristmasDecorNY.com

"What do you mean we canít get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
Walt Disney
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I have found that a GFCi that is at 90% is much more likley to trip than one at say 50% the extra load is already super sensetive.

Another thought older home with out GFCI's do just fine without them.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
I hate GFCI issues. I have several properties, that have an old, cracked dangerous looking old plug hidden in a shed somewhere. Those things are awesome ! they never trip. but I have hundreds of brand new state of the art 20 amp GFCI outlets out there that pop all the time. It kills me that it is plenty legal to plug into an old outlet, but not legal to change them out. I have had customers wrap bags around timers, cord connections, taping, siliconing, etc, in an effort to keep them from tripping. I have customers that run a cord into a spare unused bedroom window, and then block the window draft with newspaper. They hate not having their lights on. I actually do the lights at the electric company. and they have 10 GFCI outlets that are worthless in the rain. but they have one old non-gfci plug on the end of the building...

I will tell you that changing out a GFCI does not endanger the home in any way because of overload or fire, etc. , but it does endanger someone of getting a shock. they are designed for that purpose, keeping someone from even feeling a shock, specifically around water. I have gotten a shock that trips a breaker on a non gfci circuit, and man, that wakes you up.

You could try switching them out with new 20 amp new gfci's. The new ones seem to be WAY better at not tripping until they trip that first time. after that, not so much. once a GFCI has been reset 10-20 times, spend the 10-15 bucks to replace it. It should be done by a master electrician, but any website in the world will tell you to put the black wire on the "hot" side, the white on the "white" side, and the green on the green ground screw. every GFCI outlet I have seen is labeled.

again, probably illegal, but those light socket to plug adapters can usually handle 3-500 watts and might just be on a non gfci circuit. for LED jobs, might help...

but I am not advising anyone to do anything illegal....

Dave, just so everyone is clear, the GFCI trips on load (amp) imbalance between the hot and neutral. Amperage is what kills you. They are designed for personnel protection only and their primary function is to prevent a person from becoming a grounding rod. There are many reasons that can cause a GFCI to trip, water is not the only one even if it is probably the most common one with christmas lights. If a GFCI is tripping find the problem and fix it, once you have ruled out a bad GFCI.

Also you have suggested here to replace GFCI's with new 20 amp versions, however it is a code violation to use a 20 amp receptacle of any type on a 15 amp circuit.