Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

desiel or gas

is there any perks to desiels any more if ur not pulling 12 or 15000lbs everyday? high fuel prices, sorry fuel, 4or$5000 for new injectors more maint, blown headgaskets. has epa ruined deisels? I have an 04 3/4 ton but i am thinking about getting a new chevy gas cab& chassis.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

its a dodge by the way.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Diesel or gas

Do you run any fuel additive in your diesel fuel? I run Power Service Cetane Boost as diesel is supposed to a have a minimum of 55 cetane rating and all the diesel pumps here in Kentucky don't have any ratings. I drive a 96 GMC Sierra 2500 with the 6.5 turbo diesel and mine runs good. No, it won't run with the Cummin's or Power Strokes but it pulls or hauls everything I need it to.
1996 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4, 6.5 Turbo Diesel "F" Engine,7x16 Enclosed Trailer, Ferris IS2000Z 61in., Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48in., 21 in. Snapper, Gator Mulcher Blades On All Mowers, All Stihl Hand Held Power Equipment, NRA RECRUITER,.40 Beretta Carried Everywhere,,I Work Alone ! If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective! Ted Nugent!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

You buy diesel because you want a diesel buying one for fuel economy ended long ago.

If your looking a Dudge I don't think they have much of a good line up for gas engines. With Ford you have the reliable V-10.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

diesel or gas

yeah i run hows deisel additive
Old 12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

if i went gas i would definitely go chevy or ford.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

If you want to go with a regular 1 ton cab and chassis then go with the Chevy 3500HD if your looking at 2wd because the F-350 2wd cab and chassis still use twin I beam suspension on the front end or I think they still do. The twin I beam isn't a very good suspension I never really liked it. I had F-350s flatdecks with it and any load the truck handled like crap.

If your going with a 4x4 then go with Ford because they have a mono beam front axle good for carrying some weight.

If your in the market for a 1.5-2 ton truck then Chevy really isn't a good option because all you can get is those god awfull 4500-5500 trucks with the monsterous cab.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just replaced one of my Diesel trucks with a gasser. Will more then likely replace the 03Ram 3500 diesel with a another gas truck once the warranty runs out next year. The only advantage I have found in a diesel is its pulling power....The many disadvantages include High maintenance costs, huge repair bills, $1 per gallon more VS gas and the fact that not all gas stations carry diesel. That becomes a huge inconvenience in itself and forces you to always plan to make sure you will be near a station who carries diesel when you need it. Although I have never driven one, I am hoping that a ford v-10 will give me enough towing performace to replace my Dodge diesel with and not look back.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

The new diesel trucks nowwadays the dealer should supply you with some personal lubricant and a roid cushion. The 6.0 will probably be my last diesel if I order a new F-450-550 it will be a V-10.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528 View Post
Just replaced one of my Diesel trucks with a gasser. Will more then likely replace the 03Ram 3500 diesel with a another gas truck once the warranty runs out next year. The only advantage I have found in a diesel is its pulling power....The many disadvantages include High maintenance costs, huge repair bills, $1 per gallon more VS gas and the fact that not all gas stations carry diesel. That becomes a huge inconvenience in itself and forces you to always plan to make sure you will be near a station who carries diesel when you need it. Although I have never driven one, I am hoping that a ford v-10 will give me enough towing performace to replace my Dodge diesel with and not look back.
The maintenance thing some of you guys say kills me. The maintenance is not any higher than a gas engine, and in most cases alot less. So get that outta your head!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com