Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2008, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Really??the same amount of maint or less? I would totally agree if we were talkig about 89 to 98 12valve cummins or pre 03 powerstrokes but these new trucks r junk.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
The maintenance thing some of you guys say kills me. The maintenance is not any higher than a gas engine, and in most cases alot less. So get that outta your head!
I totally agree, where you all get the high maintenance thing is beyond me. I have paid less for maintenance on all 3 of my diesel's than gasser's. I mean the only regular maintenance your going to have is change the oil and grease the chassis on most diesel's and for me that's every 5 - 7.5k miles. Every once in a while you might get something expensive like ball joint's or brakes, but you have those same thing's on a gasser. Plus even though diesel is higher, I still make out better with a diesel then a gasser on all 3 vehicles.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The oil change alone on a diesel is ussually around $120.00... not to mention the front end parts that wear out quicker because of the added weight of the diesel engine. It has just been my experience that when something goes on a diesel engine the repair is always thousands..... on a gas engine a few hundred and your up and running again.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528 View Post
The oil change alone on a diesel is ussually around $120.00... not to mention the front end parts that wear out quicker because of the added weight of the diesel engine. It has just been my experience that when something goes on a diesel engine the repair is always thousands..... on a gas engine a few hundred and your up and running again.
Are you putting solid gold oil in your engines? I can change the oil for about $25 - 30, including the filter, on both my Dodge Cummins trucks. The only time it might be even close to $120 is when I use Amsoil in my Excursion and I can run much longer than a conventional oil change with that stuff.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is what the dodge dealer charges... I can get it done for slightly cheaper at a private mechanic.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Just replaced one of my Diesel trucks with a gasser. Will more then likely replace the 03Ram 3500 diesel with a another gas truck once the warranty runs out next year. The only advantage I have found in a diesel is its pulling power....The many disadvantages include High maintenance costs, huge repair bills, $1 per gallon more VS gas and the fact that not all gas stations carry diesel. That becomes a huge inconvenience in itself and forces you to always plan to make sure you will be near a station who carries diesel when you need it. Although I have never driven one, I am hoping that a ford v-10 will give me enough towing performace to replace my Dodge diesel with and not look back.

you guys kill me!! You want pulling power, The V-10 is a good option to a diesel; however did you account for this? The lower price of gasoline will be negated; because your V-10 will suck more gasoline than comparable diesels. Your robbing "Peter to pay Paul" on this one. Any cost savings you might gain in gaoline price's will be offest buy the more gas your going to burn. A gasburner does not get better as usage increases either. The Pipe line I do right of way mowing for is slowly selling off all their Ford V-10's the terminal manager was/is a Ford lover Until he towed with my Cummins. This guy HATED Dodge's, still does; however he is purchasing the new Dodge's based on their overall better towing performance lower maintenance cost . You will regret going to any gasburner if your truly towing or hauling for a living. Make sure you come back with your foot in your mouth, and post accordingly

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 12-21-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My Cummins get 10MPG towing and 11-12 without a trailer.... most of my driving is stop and go from one property to the next. Even if the v10 get 8 or 10 MPG it will take a lot of driving to make the money back on the $6,000 diesel upgrade and the $1 per gallon more for diesel.

It comes down to this.... I am simply afraid to keep this diesel truck after the warranty runs out. Im not sure if this is a common accurance or not with the cummins (and the ULSD) but mine loves to eat injectors and injector pumps. With 55,000 miles I have had several of the injectors replaces on 2 different occations, 2 injector pumps and at least one fuel pump. Im afraid to see what this will cost me out of pocket without a warranty.

If I knew I could run this truck for another 100,000 miles without anymore fuel system related failures I would keep this truck indefinitly. I must admit that its pulling power is nothing short of awsome.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
My Cummins get 10MPG towing and 11-12 without a trailer.... most of my driving is stop and go from one property to the next. Even if the v10 get 8 or 10 MPG it will take a lot of driving to make the money back on the $6,000 diesel upgrade and the $1 per gallon more for diesel.

It comes down to this.... I am simply afraid to keep this diesel truck after the warranty runs out. Im not sure if this is a common accurance or not with the cummins (and the ULSD) but mine loves to eat injectors and injector pumps. With 55,000 miles I have had several of the injectors replaces on 2 different occations, 2 injector pumps and at least one fuel pump. Im afraid to see what this will cost me out of pocket without a warranty.

If I knew I could run this truck for another 100,000 miles without anymore fuel system related failures I would keep this truck indefinitly. I must admit that its pulling power is nothing short of awsome.
What model/year is your truck and what are you towing that would make your mileage dwindle that far? If your load is that substantial that it's drops the mileage on a Cummins to 10, then you'd be lucky to get 5 with a V10.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

I don't doubt your troubles, If your Dodge Cummins is the 03 or newer you have the common rail fuel injection system & the Bosch CP3 injector pump. The Bosch CP3 does not require any fuel lubrication to run.

One thought I have contaminated diesel fuel will cause catastrophic failure to the fuel injectors or the Bosch CP3 kill's them dead right now, and does not take large amounts. If you do not purge the entire system of contaminated diesel fuel, even if your replacing the CP3 & 6 injectors under warranty your going to be running that same bad diesel through the system each time.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The most I have on my Cummins 3500 is a skid sprayer and supplies. I get 15MPG all the time. This is not exactly a good place to get high fuel mileage. The highways are all uphill and it is stop and go in the city. Only time I get less is if I drive it at low speed like a tractor. Do not regret dropping the extra money for a diesel. A comparable gas truck gets 10 or less. Gas is around $2.30 here, diesel is $3.30. I run for 7 days on about $85. If it were gas, I would be filling up twice a week instead of once a week. It would end up costing more per month for me to run a gas truck.