Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCX View Post
Not sure where you buy oil but I get it on sale at walmart or auto zone for $10-11 per gal of 15w-40, plus $18 for powerstroke filter at the dealer or ac delco for duramax is about $9. Duramax takes 3 gals so thats about $44 and the powerstroke takes 3.5 gals so its about $20 more. If I get filters in bulk at fleetguard or other online dealers it's cheaper. It is nowhere near $115. Diesel filters at the ford dealership were less then $30 and the chevy is alittle cheaper.
I buy premium blue 15w-40 for about 8 - 10 at Advance Auto, and buy my filters online in bulk 12 pks, usually ebay as they have the best deals, because I have 2 trucks that use them.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH401 View Post
I change for $25-30 on Valvoline Premium Blue.
2 gallons of synthetic 5w-40 rotella t. cost $45 alone
Old 12-21-2008, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
2 gallons of synthetic 5w-40 rotella t. cost $45 alone
Cost's 30 here, but you don't need synthetic. You do need atleast 3 gal. though, depending on your engine. When I bought Premium Blue 15w-40 in Sept, the receipt total was 28.56. So you figure .06 sales tax on say 27.00, that's 28.62.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use regular oil if it's mowers striaght 30 or trucks or tractor 15w40 and so does my ford and chevy dealer in the diesels, both said to use 15w40 and they only go 5w40 syn in the winter if someone wants it for easier starts. I only use syn in the trans, diffs and tranfer cases because that is what they say in the book to use. Synthetic rotella is expensive but so is every other syn oil.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCX View Post
I use regular oil if it's mowers striaght 30 or trucks or tractor 15w40 and so does my ford and chevy dealer in the diesels, both said to use 15w40 and they only go 5w40 syn in the winter if someone wants it for easier starts. I only use syn in the trans, diffs and tranfer cases because that is what they say in the book to use. Synthetic rotella is expensive but so is every other syn oil.
my family swears by synthetics for our vehicles. we just dont put that stuff in our equipment for the cost issue.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
my family swears by synthetics for our vehicles. we just dont put that stuff in our equipment for the cost issue.
No I agree on the benefits of synthetics. I run Amsoil's 15w-40 HD diesel oil in my 01 Excursion and change it once a year, usually ends up between 10k - 15k miles. My 06 Dodge still has free changes at the dealership so I let them pick up the tab. Once the free ones run out I'll change it to Amsoil w/ a bypass filter. I only run the premium blue in my 92' Dodge as it only get's about 3 - 5k miles a year. My point is though, people complain about high oil changes on a diesel, but there only high if you make them that way.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH401 View Post
No I agree on the benefits of synthetics. I run Amsoil's 15w-40 HD diesel oil in my 01 Excursion and change it once a year, usually ends up between 10k - 15k miles. My 06 Dodge still has free changes at the dealership so I let them pick up the tab. Once the free ones run out I'll change it to Amsoil w/ a bypass filter. I only run the premium blue in my 92' Dodge as it only get's about 3 - 5k miles a year. My point is though, people complain about high oil changes on a diesel, but there only high if you make them that way.
my point exactly.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Converting folks to AMSOIL or a good synthetic lubricant can be compared to converting a Atheists to Christianity

I have 72,976 on my Cummins 5.9L same oil, same filters, no oil change. I draw UOA off at 20,000 mile intervals. I'm using AMSOIL AME: 15w-40 Heavy Duty Marine diesel oil 12TBN. At 72,976 miles the oil has only dropped to 9TBN. I carry the lab results for those non believers.

Sometimes I feel your all a bunch of knuckle heads for not investing in a good synthetic oil for all your engines period. I use UOA on all my gasoline or diesel engines, to determine when it's analytically time to change the oil.

I have zero pitty for those complaining about the cost of getting their oil changed at a Dealership either. The options are clear, and why would anyone not want to reduce their maintenance cost. Idiots
Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Amsoil has brainwashed so many people I just laugh when you have these dealers on here pushing their crap.

You want good synthetic oil buy Delo brand or Rotella.

Myself I will stick with dino oil no need to run synthetic. A 5 gallon pail of synthetic is over 100 dollars.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Amsoil has brainwashed so many people I just laugh when you have these dealers on here pushing their crap.

You want good synthetic oil buy Delo brand or Rotella.

Myself I will stick with dino oil no need to run synthetic. A 5 gallon pail of synthetic is over 100 dollars.
no its not synthetuc rotella runs about $70