Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528 View Post
The oil change alone on a diesel is ussually around $120.00... not to mention the front end parts that wear out quicker because of the added weight of the diesel engine. It has just been my experience that when something goes on a diesel engine the repair is always thousands..... on a gas engine a few hundred and your up and running again.
You need to find a new place to get your oil changed. I pay 45 bucks for mine. Man your gettin screwed. Come on did that know throw any red flags when they said 120 bucks?? Geez...Why dont you go price the materials.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
only $50 or $60! man when its all said and done we spend about $115 changing the oil, buying Rotella and a new oil and fuel filter at Oriellys. the dealer does it cheaper than what we can. r u buying cheap oil??
Youre getting screwed as well...

Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

actually i was way off i was including a 5 gallon jug and a 1 gallon jug to change 4 trucks. my bad its way cheaper than that.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hi
I gained 33% in distanced travelled for the same tank size of fuel when i switched from gaser to diesel truck towing 4500lbs

diesel mpg is 18 when towing 4500lbs
diesel trucks has way more torque and at low rpm 1500rpm up to 3250 very flat torque curve , cruise 1600-2300rpm

tomo

Last edited by tomo; 12-22-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow, this is a long convo about Oil and filters, a change will cost whatever the dealer charges or whatever you pay for your supplies, every place is different as every state. In RI, Reg. rotella or delo or whatever you use is about $11-12 per bottle pre 7% sales tax,(about $25-27 for syn. rotella or equivilant) then you have filters, depending which ones you change, if at all, power stroke oil filters, the FL1995 were $10, now $13, and the Fuel filter about $24 I believe, now, they take 3.5 gallons, and changing both filters that is a total of $78.11, and yes you have to buy 4 gallon bottles, you cant buy 3 and half,lol! That is to do it yourself, now; a newer power stoke with all the filters it has now is more, duh, it has more filters!!! Ohh, and the Ford dealers around here charge $98 an hour, $115 for electrical work, and $120 for camper/rv, wow!! go do an oil change there, FORGET IT,lmao Good luck, oh, and I love synthetic oil, it works great, although not a good option for everyone!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lee View Post
responsive maybe unloaded!! but ul never out tow a diesel.. heck even a diesel not towing will wip up on an unleaded truck. and towing with a diesel you will get far better fuel mileage, and less ware and tare on the motor over time than stressing ur gasser trying to pull a heavy load. im not bashing you i just dont agree with what you have to say.
Let me know when you want to meet me on I-77 at the VA/NC stateline northbound with a truck weighing the same loaded as my 8.1. Stock 3500s rated for the same load, 1 with gas and 1 with Diesel will change your mind. It all depends on engine HP curve, engine torque curve, tranny, and rear axle ratios. The Diesel may get better MPG but you lose on fuel cost. Same thing is being found out by people running E85 where it ends up costing more per mile than regular gasoline even though it is cheaper per gallon.

Examples:
Gasoline 8.1 getting 12 MPG burning $1.68 regular costs $0.14 per mile for fuel.
Diesel DM getting 16 MPG burning $2.37 Diesel costs $0.15 per mile for fuel.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyNut View Post
Let me know when you want to meet me on I-77 at the VA/NC stateline northbound with a truck weighing the same loaded as my 8.1. Stock 3500s rated for the same load, 1 with gas and 1 with Diesel will change your mind. It all depends on engine HP curve, engine torque curve, tranny, and rear axle ratios. The Diesel may get better MPG but you lose on fuel cost. Same thing is being found out by people running E85 where it ends up costing more per mile than regular gasoline even though it is cheaper per gallon.

Examples:
Gasoline 8.1 getting 12 MPG burning $1.68 regular costs $0.14 per mile for fuel.
You honestly think an 8.1 is going to get 12 mpg?, your even more of a moron if you think it'll do that loaded.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyNut View Post

Examples:
Ha! an 8.1 gettin 12...Thats funny right there.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Is Jerry Lee going to except the challege by Gravely Nut? When? Where? What time?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

6.0L Chevy V8 is very good if you want a gas engine. They are rating them now at 20 MPG highway (not saying you will actually get that, but maybe possible if you keep your foot off that accelerator). The Triton V10 is a good engine, but the MPG is pretty bad. If you are towing 12K LBS I would go with it. Maintenance costs on gassers are very low, just spark plugs, air filters, and other inexpensive things. Gassers are the way to go if you are in town for sure.