Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2008, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too cheap to buy a scanner........

So I got these pics with my Mom's awesome camera, call this taking pictures of pictures.

Summer of 1989, I am 11 years old and digging a hole in front of the pond to bury stumps and the family dog who "mysteriously" passed away, Dad's old Kubota KH-28L with me at the controls, I hated this POS, I had to lean forward, no pilot controls:

Check out the massive bucket, 48" in width, this was extreme for the size, I'm not the kid in the picture, that's a relative.

This was the new 1988 Cat D3C LGP Dad bought to replace the old narrow track open ROPS B model, this was bought at the Chilliwack Finning dealership:

And finally, the reason my Dad swears he will never buy another Bobcat, the mother of all Bobcats, the 943, here Dad is fitting up the Massey Ferguson back hoe he bought used, right after this he had to add 1000 pounds of counter weight to the rear scarifier:

My mom and myself, about to pick pears, this was about 1989:

There are more old pictures, but someone is going to have to start a Scanner fund for me, those things aren't cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 12-21-2008, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow your old! haha jk Cool pictures ron!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's on the back of the Bobcat where the exposed lift cylinder connects to? I don't think I've ever even seen a 900 Series Bobcat in person.

You can buy a nice copier/printer/scanner/fax for around $300.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

It looks like some scarifier on the back of that bobcat.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

how did the rippers work on the back of that machine we never had a set on our 953 and they were not an option on our 963 when we bought it another pool company had a set on his 943 but he never told me how they worked out for him
Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ron i'm with you on taking pictures of picture thing! Getting the light is the biggest problem along with the glare.The one of me and my old motorcycle in the who's who thread was one that i took with my camera.

Messed up when i when i left the date and time thing on.Christmas is coming might hint to mom and dad for scanner(O' i mean Santa Claus)

Too much light glare,not enough,then the flash wants to go off then to much light and shows in the picture.

Thanks for sharing your pics.Look like ripper on the back of the Bobcat.Cool options.Looks factory if not your dad did a good job building it.

Ill have to try and take a few here this afternoon and post here.Cold and windy here today,windchill terrible.Good day to just stay in here and visit on lawn-site
Old 12-21-2008, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerman21 View Post
What's on the back of the Bobcat where the exposed lift cylinder connects to? I don't think I've ever even seen a 900 Series Bobcat in person.

You can buy a nice copier/printer/scanner/fax for around $300.
That's the scarifier, it worked by shifting the left (?) drive lever side to side, the right lever was the aux. hydraulics back in the days before the toggle switch system made their debut. It has a detent in it for the float just like the other lever for the continuous flow. The pins were connected to the main loader cylinders, real simple, if I ever bought a bigger skid steer with a radius path, I can easily make one.
The 1000 pound counter weight was attached to the scarifier by a single pin pivot, so all we had to do was line it up with the old 410 Bobcat and push the pin in and go.
If you look carefully above the front tires on the 943, there is a black pin, there is a hydraulic cylinder that pushes those pins out, that's where the back hoe was locked on to, that was unique to the 900 series, so Dad made an entire frame to lock the back hoe on those pins.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is awesome Ron! I've got some pic's from dad's work, but I dont have the patience to do that to post them, and that bucket is gigantic on that bota, what happened to all of your dads equipment, or did he just downsize the business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm335 View Post
That is awesome Ron! I've got some pic's from dad's work, but I dont have the patience to do that to post them, and that bucket is gigantic on that bota, what happened to all of your dads equipment, or did he just downsize the business?

Dad was asked by a contractor who went to the same church as we did in 1983 if he could operate his old Deere 350B track loader as his operator was on sick leave, so Dad did and in '84 he ended up buying the package complete with an old puke yellow 1976 Chevy C-60 flat deck and a tidy tank.
The business got started in 1984 (went legit in '86) with a 410 Bobcat and a Deere 350B track loader with combo and back hoe, we already had the 410 from 1980 when we bought the house were we still live, and that was bought after the old 310.
The Deere 350B was traded off for a C model, then in 88, Dad traded off the 350C with the back hoe for the Bobcat 943 with the rear scarifier Loegering tracks and the 96" bucket.
The Kubota came in around 1988 after Dad used our neighbour's 790 track hoe to load trucks, he fell in love with the 360 spin ability. The Kubota eventually broke down too much and it was traded off for the first Komatsu PC-60 in 1991.
Meanwhile, Dad had bought (a used?) Cat D3B in 1987 since having a 6 way PAT dozer was better than a track loader it seemed and it was replaced by the newer C model with wide pads in '88.
The 943 gave Dad massive head aches, while he was digging with the Bobcat in the back of a field, he noticed he was losing hydraulic oil FAST. He walked back to grab the truck and trailer and just barely got in on the trailer before the pumps sucked air, long story short, the heat build up caused by the Loegering tracks caused a rupture and the entire hydraulic system failed, Dad was on the hook as Bobcat warned people not to use the tracks, but there was still enough warrantly left that Dad only paid 15% of the total cost.
In 1992 it was traded off with all the toys for the second Komatsu PC-60.
In 1992, the Bobcat 440B was traded off for a Mustang 930A skid steer, 54" wide and 40 hp, Bobcat Country got real pissed off for that, Dad wanted a diesel in that size and the 600 series Bobcat's were still gas. It was traded off for a Bobcat 753 in 1996.
In 1998 Dad bought a Kobelco 150 and from there it was all downhill as my brother went on his own in 2000, and I went on my own in 2003, each with our own vehicles and equipment and Dad just kept going, only to buy his Mack Midliner in 1992, a Deere 110LC in 2001, traded off for a Cat 320CLU in 2005 (eventually taken over by my brother in 2008) and the 2 Hitachi's, the small one in 2006 and the newer one in 2008.

The reason that Kubota had such a large bucket was all the contracotrs here have concrete footings that are anywhere from 24"-42" in width, and a 48" bucket gives them lots of room to work in, so we kinda are responsible for the whole 4 foot bucket on 8 ton excavators here.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Dad was asked by a contractor who went to the same church as we did in 1983 if he could operate his old Deere 350B track loader as his operator was on sick leave, so Dad did and in '84 he ended up buying the package complete with an old puke yellow 1976 Chevy C-60 flat deck and a tidy tank.
The business got started in 1984 (went legit in '86) with a 410 Bobcat and a Deere 350B track loader with combo and back hoe, we already had the 410 from 1980 when we bought the house were we still live, and that was bought after the old 310.
The Deere 350B was traded off for a C model, then in 88, Dad traded off the 350C with the back hoe for the Bobcat 943 with the rear scarifier Loegering tracks and the 96" bucket.
The Kubota came in around 1988 after Dad used our neighbour's 790 track hoe to load trucks, he fell in love with the 360 spin ability. The Kubota eventually broke down too much and it was traded off for the first Komatsu PC-60 in 1991.
Meanwhile, Dad had bought (a used?) Cat D3B in 1987 since having a 6 way PAT dozer was better than a track loader it seemed and it was replaced by the newer C model with wide pads in '88.
The 943 gave Dad massive head aches, while he was digging with the Bobcat in the back of a field, he noticed he was losing hydraulic oil FAST. He walked back to grab the truck and trailer and just barely got in on the trailer before the pumps sucked air, long story short, the heat build up caused by the Loegering tracks caused a rupture and the entire hydraulic system failed, Dad was on the hook as Bobcat warned people not to use the tracks, but there was still enough warrantly left that Dad only paid 15% of the total cost.
In 1992 it was traded off with all the toys for the second Komatsu PC-60.
In 1992, the Bobcat 440B was traded off for a Mustang 930A skid steer, 54" wide and 40 hp, Bobcat Country got real pissed off for that, Dad wanted a diesel in that size and the 600 series Bobcat's were still gas. It was traded off for a Bobcat 753 in 1996.
In 1998 Dad bought a Kobelco 150 and from there it was all downhill as my brother went on his own in 2000, and I went on my own in 2003, each with our own vehicles and equipment and Dad just kept going, only to buy his Mack Midliner in 1992, a Deere 110LC in 2001, traded off for a Cat 320CLU in 2005 (eventually taken over by my brother in 2008) and the 2 Hitachi's, the small one in 2006 and the newer one in 2008.

The reason that Kubota had such a large bucket was all the contracotrs here have concrete footings that are anywhere from 24"-42" in width, and a 48" bucket gives them lots of room to work in, so we kinda are responsible for the whole 4 foot bucket on 8 ton excavators here.
Wow, thats awesome.. Why didnt you brother start working with your dad, or is that a touchy subject?

In the 4th pic is that the c60 your talking about in the background?

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!

Tags
bobcat , kubota