Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-30-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Equipment and Work Pictures

Well since I have some spare time now that winter decided to come early this year I thought I should start a thread and contribute a little to this forum, I've definitely taken a whole lot from it the last few years.
This may get long winded and since I know 99.9% of you will skip to the pictures right away, so I'll try and get you some good ones to make the reading worth while!
Little back story about me and the company- This past summer was the first year as an actual business, as far as the state is concerned. haha I've been mowing lawns since I was 15, I'm few weeks shy of 22 now. I think my story is kind of unique how I got started. When a classmate of my brother's was leaving for college he asked if I wanted to take over the 2 yards he mowed, naturally I said SURE! I would ride my bike or get a ride from my parents the couple miles and mow with the homeowner's mower. When I turned 16 I bought a 1991 Sonoma and drove out there and mowed. The next two neighbors up the hill asked me if I'd mow theirs too, so that put me at 3 lawns. (one of the originals moved) My senior year of highschool I bought a Toro Super recycler and a small 4x8 trailer. I did small landscape stuff and mowed all through highschool, while working another part time job working frozen/dairy at a grocery store. I followed my head and not my heart and decided to go to college for Diesel and Heavy Equipment Tech instead of something in the green industry. I looked at the economy and saw a huge future and the opportunity to make some real good money as a Mechanic, and thought it was too risky at the time to try and do my own thing mowing and landscaping. I still continued to mow and did some snow shoveling the two years of college, and still worked another part time job. During my second year of college I got a job as a Heavy Truck mechanic at a dealership in town and thought it was the greatest thing in the world! Started at $10 and hour and worked from after school 3:30ish to 10-11 at night, five days a week. I really liked the work, but over time I got burned out I think from the long days and hours at work and school and the stress of the job itself. But, after being there 9 months and still in school I was making $14 and hour without my cdl or any brand specific training from the Dealership. In May when I was graduating I decided wrenching for a living isn't for me. I called up my mowing clients and they were ecstatic to have me keep mowing. I also quit wrenching, got a job with a landscaper in the area and worked for him all summer, did my own mowing and landscaping when I could and worked at Menards in the yard in the evenings. This spring a guy I went to college with, and worked for that landscaper with formed a partnership, told people what we were doing and from there we ran around all summer so busy we didn't know what to do with ourselves! Now some pictures... ">">">">
Old 11-30-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure what's going on with the pictures, I'll figure it out I guess. Here's some more pictures. This is my Biz partners house">">">">">"> I've got a few hundred pictures from my phone I just need to upload them.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's some more random ones, you can see our Dodge in the first one. It's a 99 with a Cummins, Manual Tranny, 3500 flatbed dually. Chipped and blows a little black smoke...The rest are all from this summer.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Old 11-30-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Some stripes, the small wall is at my house, my parents wanted the patio bigger and the yard slopes a bit so I put the wall in to even it out. Look past the falling over wall in the last picture, all they wanted at the time was to get everything looking nice before their son's graduation party.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Some more pictures-
First ones are a barn we tore down in the spring. Rented the big tracked machine. I didn't get after pictures, it just got pushed in a pile and burned up, then we came back and hauled the scrap out. The wall is the first one I ever built for my business, everything had to get hauled from the front to the back with wheel barrows, and got dug by hand. I would have liked to go farther down the hill and build it a couple more blocks higher, but they were selling the house at the time and just wanted to flatten the yard out a kind of hide the lower hill.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's some of the yards I mow. The steep ones require a good 21" mower and a good pair of either hiking boots or baseball cleats. I prefer my cleats.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's some equipment pictures. The Super Recycler I started with, it eventually just got worn out from the hills. Cut was better in my opinion than my Exmark is, as far as mulching. The walk behind Gravely I bought for $645, with 3 sets of blades, mulch kit and was homeowner used. That was 3 years ago now, and all I've done is new blades and belts. Stripes pretty nice with the mulch kit. Then there's the 4x8 trailer I started with, the 5x8 I upgraded to, put the sides on it. Sold it after I bought the 5x10 for like $450. Cleaned that up and sold it for $900 this summer and bought the 6x12 when we got the zero turn.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

The company has 2 trucks now, when we first formed the partnership I already owned the mowers and trailer, minus the ZTR, so my partner brought in the K3500 dually to help even us up so we each had 50% vested in the company. Plus we wanted to stop using our personal trucks for business stuff. When he bought it, it had the 6.5 in it, then that went kaboom, so he had a 454 put in it while we were in college... took 2 years cause the shop kinda screwed up which harness went with the old motor, anyway, We used it for the summer, but we were consistently hauling a skid steer around for jobs and with some of the terrain here the 454 wasn't cuttin the mustard. We bought the Dodge from a friend of his for a smoking price, in August. That pulls our dump and whatever we can fit in it. We traded the k3500 in on an 07 Chevy 3500 with a Duramax in September, they gave us a great price for trade and on the truck itself, plus with the srw, reg cab long box it was more driveway friendly for plowing. We bought a used 7.5ft Western ultramount in early November, just in time for the early snow/slush/rain/crap we got earl on. I would really like to get a fleet picture in the spring when we get everything cleaned up and ready to roll again. My personal truck is the white Chevy half ton and his is the white Dodge 3/4 ton. ">">">">">">">">
Old 12-10-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

All those plants on the last job were all already there, this bed was mulched and cleaned up I think in 2011 by a local landscape company.