Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmikka View Post
were just starting hydroseeding a couple years ago, we have a 750 gal turbo turf and we did about 300,000 sf last year...dont know if we should move to a bigger machine...how much did you do with your new machine? and when did you know how to make the jump to bigger thanks.
Jrmikka...We have no regrets making the jump to a bigger machine. We had definitely outgrown our other one. I don't have a formula for when it is the right time to make the step up to a bigger machine...I think you'll just know. 750 gallon is a reasonable sized machine...you should be able to utilize that for quite some time. We did around 50-60 acres of hydroseed this year if I had to guess. I'd have to go back & do some research to come up with an exact number. That's not very much compared to the big guys...but it's definitely good for us! We are trying to increase that year by year.

Here are a few pics from a job we did this year. We had the machine floating out on a barge shooting all of the river banks.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

hows that newer ford doing and is it a gas or diesel ? i finally got rid of my 08' 6.4, it was a joke. it was enough to start phasing out the fords. my new dodges sees about a 25-30% fuel increase.

no deflectors on the plows to cut back on coating the windsheild? we do a few private roads and they are a must for us.

looks good, keep up the pics

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's a cool project you did with the hydroseeder.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for answering my question about the Xtreme V plows. Fisher was all you saw where I am until a couple years ago when Boss started coming around and all the fisher dealers are now carrying Boss plows and selling more of them but i was just curious how you like it.

Rhode Island Landscapers Thread:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
BigIrish...we LOVE the Xtreme Vs...once you use one for a few storms you can never go back to a regular straight blade. They significantly increase productivity for what we do (mostly parking lots). We have been running them since 2009 & wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Fisher puts out a great product & we have no plans on changing from them anytime soon.

My one complaint about the Xtreme is the factory cutting edge is very thin. You wear through it very quickly. Replacement factory edges are pretty expensive. We ended up making our own from 5/8" steel which last MUCH longer than the factory edges & were less expensive than the factory edges. We still use the factory curved center pieces, but make our own straight edges.

I do not have any experience with BOSS plows so I can't give much of an opinion there. Fisher dominates our market area (MA & NH)

I agree with Pro-Turf. I had a straight blade on my dump and when I bought my pick up I purchased an Xtreme V and never looked back. This year when I got rid of my old dump I also sold the straight blade and bought another Xtreme V. They save a lot of time and to me are worth the extra money.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigirish320 View Post
Thanks for answering my question about the Xtreme V plows. Fisher was all you saw where I am until a couple years ago when Boss started coming around and all the fisher dealers are now carrying Boss plows and selling more of them but i was just curious how you like it.
same here in CT, boss is taking over but im bias....western is growing too but its part of fisher. meyer is all but extinct thankfully. even though their dealer locator still lists some dealers in CT most have stopped selling them.

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i love this post , how many plow trucks are you up to? you still have the FL60?
98 CHEVY 3500 8 FT reading service body 8 FT Fisher MM
Morbark 12" Wood Chipper 110hp Cummins Diesel
2011 6X14 American Hauler open landscape trailer dual axle
07 52"/19 kawi-Wright Stander
07 48"/15 kawi-Exmark Viking ECS
06 48"/15 kawi-Exmark Metro ECS
21" Toro push mower / 21" John Deere push mower
Echo 2 cycle
STIHL chain saws-441-361-290-190-180
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Jrmikka...We have no regrets making the jump to a bigger machine. We had definitely outgrown our other one. I don't have a formula for when it is the right time to make the step up to a bigger machine...I think you'll just know. 750 gallon is a reasonable sized machine...you should be able to utilize that for quite some time. We did around 50-60 acres of hydroseed this year if I had to guess. I'd have to go back & do some research to come up with an exact number. That's not very much compared to the big guys...but it's definitely good for us! We are trying to increase that year by year.

Here are a few pics from a job we did this year. We had the machine floating out on a barge shooting all of the river banks.
WOW..looks great...thanks for the info... im sure you dont bid that job by the sy do you? whos the big guys btw? great help thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Proturf just like MLI said guys don't take care of equipment like it was there own. I also asked a dealer why would a company like Brickman for instance run walkbehinds with the size of the properties they mow when ztrs are faster. I was told the same thing you're thinking less maintenance and less cost upfront. Also I have heard they cut down on the amount of trimming you have to do. One question I know you mentioned overall cost being a factor but have you thought about the standers like the exmark vantage? Im not sure but they may be priced cheaper than a ztr but more productive than a walkbehind. Worth a look see maybe??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Someone please send some snow our way!

if i send the snow mojo your way i need you to send it back lol.i washed and waxed the truck in shorts the other day,put a coat of fluid film on the plow and my wife thought i was crazy for doing it all in shorts .i told her if mother nature saw me in summer mode she would dump some snow on us but nothing in the forecast