Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another thing to think about if you keep a ZTR for fall cleanups, and not just a back up but when your crew starts to fall behind (weather, down time, etc) It would be a nice catch up mower.

Boss pretty much wrote the book on Vee plows, though I like fisher just as much especially their stainless blades. Can you short chain a fisher vee like the old straight blade fisher/western if problems arise?

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 01-02-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

better look into standers!! scag and exmark make a nice one. I think scag has a sweet price and a nice machine.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
better look into standers!! scag and exmark make a nice one. I think scag has a sweet price and a nice machine.
Once a year Scag gives fleet pricing for individual units so i got mine for a great price

Rhode Island Landscapers Thread:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Pro turf, 9 walk behinds and two ztr's and both of my ztr's are for sell lol if that tells you anything. Where we are in a very hilly region in eastern ky, so walkbehinds have been custom for us for some time, you just can't get a zturn on alot of our properties and our walkbehinds will go anywhere, some one said less trimming with a walkbehind, i would have to agree you can get a walkbehind much closer to objects especially under low trees and such. Also, i would say that walkbehinds are easier to train guys to run properly and they seem to pick up on striping alot quicker bc the walkbehind pulls its self straight and zturn you have to hold the levers right, walkbehinds are def. safer to by far if one gets away from you, you simply just step off the sulkey and let the mower go, if you flip a zero turn there's a workers comp bill i don't want to pay lol. I think you get a better cut quality as well bc you not running as fast and when turning and mowing when its wet you don't rut the turf up near as bad bc the wiegh so much less. I think you will be very pleased with the switch and beside leaf removal you won't have any regets. Good luck and we are getting an 1-2 inches of that white stuff tonite wooo hooo watch out for the blizzard haha..
Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
We are changing for a few different reasons. The biggest reason would have to be maintenance expenses. Constantly rebuilding UltraVacs, putting on new catcher bags, new tires, Ultra Vac belts...the list goes on & on. Everything for a Lazer is more expensive than on a Turf Tracer.

If you put a Turf Tracer & a Lazer side by side to mow the average yard then the Lazer would be more efficient is most cases. However we expect to save a significant amount of money on maintenance & repairs by making the switch. If I was an owner/operator and out in the field every day running the Lazer, then YES I would definitely keep them! When you have crews running the equipment every day you will experience alot more wear & tear. They do not care for the equipment like you care for your own equipment. We believe the Turf Tracer will save a significant amount of money for us & still keep our productivity up to a reasonable level. We plan on running velkes on all of the TT's.

A few other things...we can carry 3 TT's in our trailer, but only 2 Lazers.

Also, the cost difference from a TT to a Lazer...

The overall weight of the Lazer's...they're a very heavy machine & we have received feedback from customers over the years that the machines are "too big" for their properties.

I love the Lazers, and like I said, if I was an owner/operator I would still be running a Lazer & a Walker GHS, but the maintenance costs are my biggest reason for the change.

I was looking at the exmark for my next ztr or walkbehind. Any advice on purchasing used or new equipment. What exmark turf tracer are you looking to buy? S-series or X-series turf tracer?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ya walkbehinds def leave a better cut and leave less damage on turf , but are slower running from truck and lawn etc , a lot of our customers tell us they would like us to cut with the walkbehinds rather than the stander , also the walkbehinds leave a nicer stripe. Everyone though in our area runs walkers.
98 CHEVY 3500 8 FT reading service body 8 FT Fisher MM
Morbark 12" Wood Chipper 110hp Cummins Diesel
2011 6X14 American Hauler open landscape trailer dual axle
07 52"/19 kawi-Wright Stander
07 48"/15 kawi-Exmark Viking ECS
06 48"/15 kawi-Exmark Metro ECS
21" Toro push mower / 21" John Deere push mower
Echo 2 cycle
STIHL chain saws-441-361-290-190-180
Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are your employees cool with the switch from lazers to walk-behinds? I know my partner and I as well as most of our employees would quit in a second if that was forced on any of us. Make no mistake about it riding is significantly less fatiguing then standing behind a walk-behind on a wheel or 2. Also if your going to go that rout get the velke out of your mind its crap. Exmark makes their own and tapered roller bearings are the way to go plus it locks in place when up with no swing all the velkes iv ever seen hung by a chain.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with pro slides behind the turf tracers. I have them on all my TT's, would never go back to any other kind of sulky
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I second the pro-slides, my employee(s) love them.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakwdman View Post
Go with pro slides behind the turf tracers. I have them on all my TT's, would never go back to any other kind of sulky
Posted via Mobile Device
Does anyone have any pictures of the Pro-Slides? I've heard of them but am unfamiliar with them. What is the approximate cost for them? Does Exmark manufacture them?