Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
JP...I have not looked into the Ferris units at all. I've been an Exmark guy for quite a few years, so that's why I"m leaning towards the TT.

Can you adjust/fabricate the Pro-Slide to ride above the pavement?

Yes the salt bin is built into the hill. So far we have not had any water issues, probably because we haven't had any rain or snow...uggh!! We'll be keeping an eye on the water as time goes on.

We run walker, exmark lazers and ferris walkbehinds. IMO the ferris dd hydro is by far the most rugged mower around. I have a 52" that is atleast 14 yrs old. But if your comfortable with the exmark tt then stick with it. As far as the proslide goes it works by dragging u around on the skid. So I don't think you could use it like a platform held off the ground.

We have a salt bin that is butted up to a hill and had about 10 yds of mix wash out in the middle of winter during one of those freak rain storms. What a pain. Had to dig the hill away and put a drain in. Fixed the problem for now. Just waiting on snow now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
We buy quite a bit of our equipment used. It usually works out just fine for us, but we have also had some bad luck over the years. If you know where the equipment has come from & have a copy of the maintenance records then that is a BIG plus. You can tell alot about how a piece of equipment was treated just by looking around the shop/operation of the person selling the equipment. If the place is a mess, old broken equipment every where, very unorganized etc, then chances are they weren't too strict with oil changes, air filters & greasing. If the place is clean & tidy, the seller has maintenance records, and appears organized overall then chances are they also took the time to care for the equipment. It's always a risk that you take when buying used equipment, but that's the reason you are getting it for a cheaper price than brand new from the dealer.

We are hoping to purchase our Turf Tracers used...so we will see what we can find...

How many acres did you mow with the zero turns during the growing season? making the switch to the Turf Tracers i guess you plan to still do the same amount of acres? At this time i am a small operation, but i am thinking of trying out the same Turf Tracer to mow bigger properties, since there cheaper and easier to find used. What your advise?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My guys will ride the proslides across sidewalks, driveways or short sections of black top. They got pretty crafty for long stretches of blacktop, and actually stand on the back of the walk-behind and 'ride' it, as not to wear out the wear-plate of the pro slide. We've been able to make the wear plates last an entire season. Not much of a pain to replace (4 bolts) and not really a big expense, when compared to replacing tires on a velke or sulky (we had rocks get stuck in between the tire and housing, run over nails or sharp objects, etc). And, no greasy hands/ clothes from hanging a velke on a chain.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
What problems have you had with the Pace trailers? I thought they were one of the best.. Is the Pace the trailer with the irrigation set up inside?
Posted via Mobile Device
The frame was poorly built...quite a few broken welds at the joints. We had to pull out the floor of the trailer & reinforce quite a bit of the frame. Our Pace has quite a few miles on it from the last 6 years, but I still expected it to hold up better than it has. I took quite a few pics of the poor workmanship, if I can dig up the pics I will post them. I would not buy another Pace trailer.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigirish320 View Post
PRO TURF- I am blown away at this thread everytime I read it. Your post on your rental property and investing was awesome and hit home with me cause I'm at the age where I can still do something about investing and saving before its too late. I also enjoyed reading your last post about your goals. Glad people like you are on this site
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks alot for the kudos BigIrish!!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopNotchLawnCare View Post
Question: What type of camera do you use for all of your pictures?
Nothing fancy...mostly my cell phone or a Canon SD750
Old 01-14-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerewashed View Post
what model stove is that...i think i have the same one sitting in my shop next to the 2 propane ones that i picked up free.
It is an Englander 3,000 sq/ft wood burning stove. Works awesome...very pleased with it..
Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowing4rlife View Post

How many acres did you mow with the zero turns during the growing season? making the switch to the Turf Tracers i guess you plan to still do the same amount of acres? At this time i am a small operation, but i am thinking of trying out the same Turf Tracer to mow bigger properties, since there cheaper and easier to find used. What your advise?
I have never done the measurements to figure out the acreage that we do on a weekly basis. We still plan on doing the same amount of properties with the TT's that we were doing with the Lazers. I can't give you much advice on what will treat you better with the TT/Lazer because we have yet to put the TT's to the test. I think you would be very pleased with either machine though, Exmark puts out a great machine overall.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfromNY View Post
My guys will ride the proslides across sidewalks, driveways or short sections of black top. They got pretty crafty for long stretches of blacktop, and actually stand on the back of the walk-behind and 'ride' it, as not to wear out the wear-plate of the pro slide. We've been able to make the wear plates last an entire season. Not much of a pain to replace (4 bolts) and not really a big expense, when compared to replacing tires on a velke or sulky (we had rocks get stuck in between the tire and housing, run over nails or sharp objects, etc). And, no greasy hands/ clothes from hanging a velke on a chain.
What is the wear plate made of? Has anyone made their own wear plate out of a different material that they found to last longer or be more cost effective?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The wear plate is a hard plastic. Had a local guy try to make one out of a heavy gauge tin basically and it worked ok for a while.

Why no sulkies? Could get some 2 wheel sulkies that would maintain a decent stripe.
Sorry if you have already answered that