Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like how he animated the strobes.....pretty cool.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnj18 View Post
Greenscapes I believe is their name.
That is correct.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I like how he animated the strobes.....pretty cool.
To bad you can't see the strobes on the truck first hand. Pretty spiffy to say the least. its unique.
F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....
Old 12-28-2008, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Greenscapes I believe is their name.
gotcha, never heard of them though..
Old 01-01-2009, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey i caught you candid plowing across the street from me in the '08. Hope you don't mind
Attached Images

F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....
Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbouch View Post
i must say nice job on the shop its perfect i think very organzied and all do you have one guy in there every day fixing things or what
Thanks! We try our best to stay organized...its a constant struggle but its worth it. We do not have a dedicated full time mechanic...we just don't have enough equipment yet to need one. A few of the guys at work are pretty mechanically inclined...so we take care of as much of the maintenance & repairs that we can...and whatever else gets sent out to our local mechanic.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
Thanks! We try our best to stay organized...its a constant struggle but its worth it. We do not have a dedicated full time mechanic...we just don't have enough equipment yet to need one. A few of the guys at work are pretty mechanically inclined...so we take care of as much of the maintenance & repairs that we can...and whatever else gets sent out to our local mechanic.
ya i hear ya working with mystic know so ill pretty much fix everything i just had to rebuild a fisher plow pump that wasnt even a year old wasnt paying 95 an hr to a company when the warranty was only parts

www.mysticlandscaping.com
Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Here are some questions I have:

When you were younger say around 18-20 did you do strictly lawn maintenance?
Are you only servicing full maintenance accounts, or will you take on the mow and go?
Are you strictly commercial as far as maintenance is concerned?
What have you found to be the best advertising methods?
About how many accounts did you service when you were 18-20?
How soon did you get your first crew running?
When I was 18-20 all I had was approx 15 lawns I did with my grandmothers Craftsman tractor & I worked at a pizza shop & had a paper route too. Most of those lawns were cut once every 2-3 weeks. I didn't buy my first commercial mower (Scag 48" hydro w/b) until I was just about 21.

Nowadays 75% of our accounts are full maintenance. We still take on the mow & gos also.

We have a mix of both commercial & residential.

Advertising...I have tried a little bit of everything over the years...I could talk about this forever i feel. The best thing I ever did was right off the bat of starting my business I told myself I was going to letter EVERYTHING...from trucks, trailers, mowers, equipment, tools, even our welder in our shop is lettered. We have a nice logo...and i put that thing EVERYWHERE. People are always saying...i see your stuff all over the place...blah blah blah...all of our trucks & trailers & equipment are the same color. If we buy a used truck and its not white...it goes right in to be painted...that has def paid off over the years. Besides that we have a pretty good website...we get alot of calls from people finding us online...google etc. Job signs always worked well also...leaving one in a customers yard for a week or so after a job. The Yellow Pages even had a decent return for us when we got started, we also had the largest ad under the "Landscape" heading...i dont think the results would be so good if it was a small ad lost in the mix with all the others. We have done the local papers...had mixed results. Put flyers out on mailboxes when I first started (although that is frowned upon) and had awesome results. One of the few things that I was not pleased with was the coupon mailing things...super coups or something? I had much higher hopes with that...and was not too pleased. I also never had much luck with the "other phonebooks"...such as Talking phonebook, YellowBook, LocalTel...we had our best luck in phonebook advertising with the Verizon Yellow pages...not sure if that is also in your area?

My first crew was running when I was prob 22 or 23?...not exactly sure. That was slowly was eased into. I was working with the guys and would start leaving early certain days to go do estimates etc...and the guys would finish up the day etc...and as I gained trust in them I gave them more responsibilities until they were fully on their own.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercuts View Post
one other question, how much did that hydroseeder set you back?
I believe that machine was $11,000. We bought it used obviously. Worth every penny. I would not want to go any smaller than that.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbouch View Post
hey i wana know how does the a300 bobcat work for ya enough power or is it weak
The A300 is totally awesome. We love the machine...its a beast. The all wheel steer is the best part. You can drive right over a lawn into the backyard etc with very minimal damage...no turf is ripped up at all. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. We got about 1100 hours out of the last set of tires on the machine too...can't beat that! It doesn't scuff up pavement...very smooooooth machine!