Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-20-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M RASCOE&SONS View Post
everything looks great!!what kind of body do you have on the new duramax dump?
That is an Iroquois 2-3 yard Stainless dump body. Oooh those stainless bodies are NICE!!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
KleenKutz...I could ramble on forever about this...I don't even know where to start.

-As far as growth & acquiring more customers...we bust our ass! We do a lot of door to door soliciting for new work. Constantly putting out flyers & job signs. Word of mouth is probably the most powerful sales tool if you can get it to work in your favor. We always say that new customers aren't going to call us...we need to make them call us...get our logo/name/# in front of them on a regular basis etc. So when it is finally time for them to call a landscaper we are on their list right off the top of their head.

-As far as finding good employees...that's much harder than finding new customers. For us it has really helped the last few years having a good leadership core in place, basically a few really good top notch guys to help you run things & manage everyone else. These guys set the bar for everyone else on what is expected. We have been lucky enough to find some fantastic guys over the last few years. We still get guys that come & go all of the time, but that's just the nature of the business. Don't let me fool you...we still have our employee issues and struggle to keep everything a step above the competition. We are in the same boat as everyone else on this site and struggle with most of the same issues.

I've said this numerous times and I'll say it again..."Find out what you are good at and do a lot of it!!" We got burned on a job last week and I could see it coming from a mile away. It was something that we don't normally get into but we took the job anyways just to keep the work flow coming in...and it burned us. I have no one to blame but myself...I saw the risk but did it anyways and it cost us in the long run. Even after 10 years I still am good for a few of those jobs a year...uggghh!

Ok I like that!! Find out what your good at and do a lot of it!!! If you don't mine me asking, what do you normally start your workers off with? Meaning workers that deals with lawn maintenance.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have any more pictures of the new international are you putting a plow on it?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man, every time I look at this thread the equipment keeps getting nicer and nicer. Everything looks GREAT, Pro Turf!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat 320D LRR View Post
do you have any more pictures of the new international are you putting a plow on it?
I don't have many good pics yet...I'll work on some this week. We are DEFINITELY putting a plow on it...

Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen Kutz View Post
Ok I like that!! Find out what your good at and do a lot of it!!! If you don't mine me asking, what do you normally start your workers off with? Meaning workers that deals with lawn maintenance.
What do we start them off with? Do you mean starting pay or something else?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sweet stuff PRO-TURF! Did you buy that GMC dump new or used? Any more new stuff planned?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APLUS LAWN CARE View Post
Man, every time I look at this thread the equipment keeps getting nicer and nicer. Everything looks GREAT, Pro Turf!
Thanks APlus...we still have plenty of old gems in the fleet...it's just nice to sprinkle in a few nice new pieces when we can. We are headed down to Virgina this week to pick up a new leaf vac trailer and should have a new skid steer before the end of the summer as well. I'll work on posting pics as it all comes in...

Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
Sweet stuff PRO-TURF! Did you buy that GMC dump new or used? Any more new stuff planned?
We bought that GMC used...it's a 2011 with 20k miles on it. It pains me to buy brand new. The only things we buy brand new are blowers, trimmers etc. And occasionally some other stuff if we can't find any good used equipment. I'm not saying buying used is the right way to do things...it just fits our business plan. We have an AWESOME mechanic on staff who can fix or fabricate ANYTHING we throw at him. We never send anything out to the dealers...we fix & maintain everything in house. The only stuff that goes out are some of the newer diesel engines which have a lot of computer stuff on them only because we don't have the computers for those.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
What do we start them off with? Do you mean starting pay or something else?
Meaning pay rate.