Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1661  
Old 07-21-2013, 10:03 PM
GreenBlade's Avatar
GreenBlade GreenBlade is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 184
How did you go from 2 walk-behinds to a shop & **** load of equipment in 4-years?? That's awesome! Also how old were you when you started?
__________________
http://www.greenbladelawn.com

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Reply With Quote
  #1662  
Old 07-21-2013, 10:34 PM
jbell36 jbell36 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 1,226
ProTurf, it's bean a while since i've posted on your thread, still my favorite though...i've found the truck/trailer combo to be a pain in the ass for the most part, have you ever considered doing a cabover truck type deal with the landscape bed on the back to simply drive the mowers up on and delete the trailer all together? i know it's hard to find a good used 4x4 for snow removal, but they are out there...we are going this route, hopefully sooner than later, and are going with the detachable dovetail, mainly for snow removal...what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #1663  
Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 PM
jbell36 jbell36 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 1,226
also, how much did you pick up that compressor for, i'd guess around 6k? we just picked one up too, definitely older than yours though...did you guys completely take it apart to paint it?!!! seems like a lot of work but it looks awesome, like a brand new compressor, any tips you can give me would be very helpful, we will be painting it soon...

i noticed you say sprinkler systems instead of irrigation, is that a part of your strategy since some people don't know what irrigation is?
Reply With Quote
  #1664  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 AM
PR0 TURF's Avatar
PR0 TURF PR0 TURF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Dracut, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen Kutz View Post
Meaning pay rate.
Someone with no experience starts at $10-$12/hr.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1665  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 AM
PR0 TURF's Avatar
PR0 TURF PR0 TURF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Dracut, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
ProTurf, it's bean a while since i've posted on your thread, still my favorite though...i've found the truck/trailer combo to be a pain in the ass for the most part, have you ever considered doing a cabover truck type deal with the landscape bed on the back to simply drive the mowers up on and delete the trailer all together? i know it's hard to find a good used 4x4 for snow removal, but they are out there...we are going this route, hopefully sooner than later, and are going with the detachable dovetail, mainly for snow removal...what are your thoughts?
I like the idea but have never given it much serious thought. We prefer an enclosed area (trailer) for the mowers. So unless we were going with something like a SuperLawn Truck style setup the cabover with the open back probably would not work for us. I think they are a very slick setup not having to deal with a trailer and all, for some reason they have not taken off up here. I don't think I've ever seen one in the field up this way. Also, we like the one-tons for winter plowing etc. If you do end up getting one please share some pics with me...I am always open to new things.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1666  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 AM
PR0 TURF's Avatar
PR0 TURF PR0 TURF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Dracut, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
also, how much did you pick up that compressor for, i'd guess around 6k? we just picked one up too, definitely older than yours though...did you guys completely take it apart to paint it?!!! seems like a lot of work but it looks awesome, like a brand new compressor, any tips you can give me would be very helpful, we will be painting it soon...

i noticed you say sprinkler systems instead of irrigation, is that a part of your strategy since some people don't know what irrigation is?
We picked that compressor up for $1,800. The fuel tank was filled with "muck" so we had to pull the motor out to get the tank out. While we had it all apart we decided to give it some serious TLC. With the finish product of the compressor, electric reel, we are probably only $3k into it with lettering etc.

Yes...we often say Sprinkler Systems instead of irrigation because the average person knows what a sprinkler system is more than irrigation. Most people know both, but sprinkler systems is the safe bet...or so we think?!

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1667  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 AM
PR0 TURF's Avatar
PR0 TURF PR0 TURF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Dracut, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBlade View Post
How did you go from 2 walk-behinds to a shop & **** load of equipment in 4-years?? That's awesome! Also how old were you when you started?
I was mowing lawns with a craftsman tractor in high school. I didn't buy a commercial mower and actually get started until 2001...I was 20 yrs old at that time.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1668  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 AM
PR0 TURF's Avatar
PR0 TURF PR0 TURF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Dracut, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,054
We went down to New Jersey to take a look at this leaf truck a few weeks ago. I don't often say a piece of equipment is too big, but this thing was just too much for our needs...the thing was a monster! I'm sure it's a hell of a leaf machine, but it just wasn't for us. Figured you would enjoy a few pics of it...

The truck was a 1990 Isuzu & the vac was a 1996 85hp diesel Giant Vac.

Attached Images
       
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1669  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Kleen Kutz's Avatar
Kleen Kutz Kleen Kutz is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ama,La
Posts: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
Someone with no experience starts at $10-$12/hr.
Okay, how did you get to the point of letting your workers go out on there own to service your customers without you. I'm at the point of letting my workers go out on there own but it's just hard to do that, only because they don't have the supervision over them. They might not do as good of enough job as if I was there with them. Don't won't no angry customers. Then it's all about trusting them too.
__________________
KLEEN KUTZ LAWN CARE SERVICES, LLC
SERVICING THE RIVER PARISHES AREA
2008 Isuzu NPR 16ft
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Reply With Quote
  #1670  
Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 AM
PR0 TURF's Avatar
PR0 TURF PR0 TURF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Dracut, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen Kutz View Post
Okay, how did you get to the point of letting your workers go out on there own to service your customers without you. I'm at the point of letting my workers go out on there own but it's just hard to do that, only because they don't have the supervision over them. They might not do as good of enough job as if I was there with them. Don't won't no angry customers. Then it's all about trusting them too.
We would have a foreman/supervisor, someone that we trust go out with them. We would not just send a crew of untrained guys with no experience out to jobs. One good guy running the crew watches over the other guys and teaches/trains them on how we do things and makes sure the jobs come out to our level of expectation.

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.08354 seconds with 8 queries