Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki guy View Post
Where did pro turf go???
I'd assume he's been busy. Hope you're doing well Chris.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners, LLC View Post
Quick question how did you get into snow plowing for the city? Did they contact you or did you have to go searching???
In our area the local towns & state highway system regularly subcontract independent plow trucks. It is a pretty good gig to be involved in if you do not have any other properties to maintain. They pay hourly with the rate based on the size of the truck & plow etc. We no longer plow for the state, but it did treat us good for a few years.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners, LLC View Post
Do you think a half-ton 4WD would be ok to start out with on plowing? I have a 2003 1500 HD Silverado 4WD. I live in OK and we dont have to serious of snow like in the NE but city pays contractors $87.50 per hour so im thinking about getting into it. Does that sound like a reasonable price?
That sounds like a great rate to me. The 1/2 ton will be fine to push snow. Most guys with 1/2 ton trucks in our area typically run a 7.5 ft plow. Good luck with it!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
You need to post up your new fleet shots!
Here's a few for now...more to come later...
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRB View Post
Just got done reading this thread over the past month and it was worth it! Now I get to go start on ETWs thread. After reading your whole thread its funny how many times you promised to do a whole fleet pic but it never happened. Hope you get to do it this year though!
Finally got it done! It's not easy making the time to set this all up, that why once every 8 years is plenty!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
I'm not involved in hydroseeding and know very little about its application but comparing your pictures to what I see around my area, many of the companies here seem to apply maybe 1/3 of product you do. Meaning instead of the area looking quite green after spraying it is still very brown and sparse? Assuming there are rates explained on the product for sqft do you apply at that or less or more?

Sorry if you already made mention of this but how fast (as in yards per hour or whatever time measurement) can you apply mulch with the blower? Obviously you need a lot of work to make the machine worth while but seems like that can be quicker and much less labor intensive. But again need the work to support the cost of the machine.
PL...good eye! We definitely apply our hydroseed much thicker than most of our competition. We mix a thicker slurry in our machine, by adding more mulch bales than most of our competition, which provides a much better finish product. The purpose of the mulch is too retain moisture for the seedlings. What you are seeing from the companies in your area gives hydroseeding a bad name. When applied right it's much more effective than traditional seeding. I could talk about this for hours...

Our mulch blower can spread 10-15 yards per hour with a 2 man crew (Blower operator & laborer to help with the hose)
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

did you attend college chris? what is your take on getting a college education in the turf management and landscape design and build business?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

lawn mowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
Here are some pics of the inside of our irrigation trailer...the trailer is a 20ft Haulmark with plenty of room for everything we need plus our pipe & ditch witch...
how many lawns do u guys mow weekly during the season?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerewashed View Post
did you attend college chris? what is your take on getting a college education in the turf management and landscape design and build business?
Deere...I did go to college. I received my bachelor degree in Management Info Systems. I think college is a great for people. I was not enjoying it while I was going through it. I was trying to get my business off the ground and sitting in class all day was not helping that day to day, it was very stressful. There were many times I wanted to quit and just focus on work. I am VERY glad that I stuck it out and graduated.

My college did not offer any specialized courses for the landscape industry. When I was in college I still thought I was going to go out and get a "real job" once I graduated. My opinion is getting a college degree is very beneficial. It is not so important what your major is, just an extra 4 years of quality education will treat you well in life. At 18 years old many people do not have a career path picked out, so just getting that degree is a huge achievement.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoads_TURF View Post
how many lawns do u guys mow weekly during the season?
We average 160-180 properties per week. Some large multi-acre properties, and some postage stamp lawns.