Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2010, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

how did you decide on what size of shop to fit your need and to stay away from going to small and not having enough room or going too big and having way to much space?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thats alot of pipe lol
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam t View Post
how did you decide on what size of shop to fit your need and to stay away from going to small and not having enough room or going too big and having way to much space?
We pretty much went as big as the town would let us get away with when going for the permits...I would not have gone any bigger than we did even if the town would let us though...40x60 is plenty big for our current needs.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
alwaysnice to view your thread man, always exceptional.

i assume you are a poly guy with all that black piping, you really like that stuff??

i absolutely hate it, always gets damaged while digging near it as the shovel goes right thru and you dont know , and rocks etc tear holes in it quite frequently . only pvc for me!
Thanks for the kudos...glad you enjoy the pics.

Our area is pretty much ALL poly...the only pvc you occasionally see are the manifolds or mainline off the backflow...besides that we are all poly up this way. It's just one of those things we've always done a certain way & it works great so no need to change it. If we were having problems with the poly pipe I would be one of the first to change to pvc...but so far so good!
Old 02-13-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
alwaysnice to view your thread man, always exceptional.

i assume you are a poly guy with all that black piping, you really like that stuff??

i absolutely hate it, always gets damaged while digging near it as the shovel goes right thru and you dont know , and rocks etc tear holes in it quite frequently . only pvc for me!
we go through hundreds of rolls of poly per year. It is all we use except for manifolds and connecting to the backflow.Maybe it's just a northeast thing, but we love it, and we don't really have many problems with it. Plus pvc breaks easier with rocks and frost heaves.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post
Well I'm FINALLY getting some pics up...here are a few pics of a utility body that we recently purchased. This is going to be our irrigation service truck. We have yet to set it up...just lettered it & tinted the windows. More pictures of this to come as it is up-fitted...
I have the exact same truck with the utility body for irrigation but it doesn't have that slide out inside the body. Is that from reading or did you custom make it, It's a great idea. I never put anything near the cab because it's so difficult to reach.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can't believe I finally got through this post. Nice stuff man. I like how you keep everything clean and organized. Hopefully we get some more snow soon. How do you land big plow accounts like Lowes and Hannaford. After reading this post I would like to try to get some bigger accounts. On smaller commercial stuff I always just walked in and asked to speak to an owner or manager about bidding the account. Is this done through the individual stores or is this something that a corporate headquarters handles. I would assume the individual stores would line up the plowing and corporate would pay the bill. Any advice on landing accounts like that would be great.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterpreferred View Post
I have the exact same truck with the utility body for irrigation but it doesn't have that slide out inside the body. Is that from reading or did you custom make it, It's a great idea. I never put anything near the cab because it's so difficult to reach.
That slide out & diamond plate cover over the body is custom made. It was on the truck when I bought it. I'm not exactly sure who made it but the guy I bought the truck from said it was about $2,000. I love having it...can't wait to put it to use....
Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
I can't believe I finally got through this post. Nice stuff man. I like how you keep everything clean and organized. Hopefully we get some more snow soon. How do you land big plow accounts like Lowes and Hannaford. After reading this post I would like to try to get some bigger accounts. On smaller commercial stuff I always just walked in and asked to speak to an owner or manager about bidding the account. Is this done through the individual stores or is this something that a corporate headquarters handles. I would assume the individual stores would line up the plowing and corporate would pay the bill. Any advice on landing accounts like that would be great.
Thank you...I'm glad you enjoy the thread! Landing the big plow accounts isn't all that easy...they're all run different...some are run through the store's corporate location...some the store manager's make the decisions...others are outsourced through management companies...it's really a big pain trying to land them. Keep plugging away & you'll have your foot in the door before you know it.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

did you just buy the blower truck?