Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2002, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

New Phone!!!!!

Just got a new Nextel phone. i700plus. So far it is great. One of the things that I like about it is that it has a vibrate mode to it. I was talking to one of my elderly customers (just doing a qick visit cause they had been sick) and I got a call. Didn't even miss a beat in the conversation. You don't have to worry about anything. The one I bought was a little heavier than the rest, but I need that b/c of the rough work that I do and the lighters ones just tend to fall and break apart too easy. Plus, w/ Nextel, the direct connect feature is nice. I was in Myrtle Beach last weekend and was talking to a friend in Raliegh, NC. Just thought I would throw that out there in case anyone was looking for a new service. Later, Kevin
Old 02-22-2002, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes those nextels are great, mainly all i use now adays
Old 02-23-2002, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I love mine. I have the same phone you mentioned and have dropped it on more than one occasion. Nextel in my opion has the best service of all the companies. I rarely use my phone, I just use my quick connect feature.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

i agree

nextel is a beautiful thing for people in the service business. especially as an owner you always have contact not only with your crews but also your office, as well as being able to take calls. i have my nextel number on my business card. if i get a call and cannot make it, i can use the two-way radio to get a hold of someone who can get right over to the customer or better yet potential customer! i think the foreman of every crew should have a nextel. you can de-activate the cell phone and just enable to two way radio so you dont have to worry about your crews running up a phone bill! although new to the maintenance business i have been using these nextel phones as part of my advertsing business for sometime now. my wife owns an elevator company and has 25 mechanics, each one with a nextel. makes dispatching mechanics ALOT easier. especially because the mechanics used to use a payphone to call in when they were completed with there job and needed to know where to go next! good luck and be creative-your nextel can increase your business!
Old 02-23-2002, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an i90c and it is unbelievable. It has a voice recorder, voice activated dialing, you can record phone calls and many other new features. Can't live w/o it.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

my boss, "kerr lawn" here on on lawn site, and i both have the i700plus. its a great phone that takes a beating and wont give up. ive dropped mine many of times, had kids throw it 30+ feet in the air and land on hard grass, stomped on, slid on ice into the boards, dropped into a little bit of water, gotten bored and played hacky sack?!?! more like hacky phone, and weve accidently run one over with our z master. havent had a prob yet. what is also nice is the fact that if you do have a prob with it just call a number, theyll pick it up, and fix it or get you a new one within 2 days, theyll also program everything in it too. all that for 10 bucks, cant beat that. another thing i love is that i have the yellow one, i can place it on mulch on a job and still see it. just got a new plan with free incoming calls, girl friend loves it cause my parents cant tell me to get off it and i dont complain about having to pay a huge bill at the end of the month. i think everyone with a small crew should have some nextels, only prob i have is that at school i get no signal, but oh well im outta there in 2 years
Old 02-26-2002, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Yep, I have the yellow one also. Just dropped it in some H2O the other nite and just let it dry out and works just great. Direct/Connect IS the way to go!!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

New 700 coming soon

Word has it, that a new model 700 will be out soon. It will be based on the i50 frame. I too have the 5lb i700, it is great, but alittle bulky and heavy. Can't wait for the new one.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

about the water, i was in the shower and my girl friend called so i just picked it up and talked in the shower, i didnt put it directly in the water, but it was nice to know that the water that did get on it wouldnt ruin it. i wouldnt give this phone up for the world
Old 02-26-2002, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

O.K. ...so these are great phones. Lets have the info needed to get hooked up. Where do I find these jewels? How much $$. Is it a monthly fee? What do they cost? I currently have Sprint and am quite dissatisfied with the cost and quality of service.