Finished high school 23 36.51%
did not finish high school 2 3.17%
did not go college 4 6.35%
have some type of degree 11 17.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2008, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

college ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ok so im a junior in high school soon to be senior. And im starting to think about what college i want to go to. My question to you all is how many of you went to college and what colleges you went to/ recommend. Im looking to do basically everything that "etwman" does. Hardscaping, Landscaping lawn maintence...input greatly appreciated Mike
Old 12-24-2008, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow...what a coincidence- As I started to respond to you, I realized you're from Wooster!! That's where I went to college! Too funny. Do you go to Woo High?? It's a nice school. I remember it being built when I was going to the College in 1995-1999...

I have a geology degree (pretty worthless) and I actually considered going to OARDC for a two year turf degree....but I had to get outta that town!! (no offense).

If I had to do it over again, I would def. go for a Landscape Architect's degree.... Something at a larger school. It sounds like you want a complete education- so that's where I'd focus- maybe do a paid internship at a nice firm over the summers... or work for a highly reputable company. You also can't go wrong with a business degree. Do that, and then focus on (again) working for a large, decent company in your off time.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to College get a degree in what you want or feel what would best beniefet you! A good Landscape degree program around TN is UT Martin and MTSU, both really nice school and really good AG programs. Deff. UT Martin i almost went there to pursue a degree in landscape, but stayed here and at APSU getting a degree in Leadership and Org. Comm. Can do about anything with that degree and i still plan on going to graduate school, If you want to continue your business while in college it will be a challenge especially if you do not live close to home. Go to school though you want regret it. Its more than a degree

Kean's Lawn Service
2005 GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel
60" Exmark Lazer Z 2005 Triton Deck
61" Husqurvana 2007 ZTR
Stihl FS80 Trimmer
Makita Trimmer
Kawasaki Trimmer
Kawasaki Edger
Husqurvana 326L Trimmer
Echo Edger
Stihl BR340 blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer
Poulan polesaw
Poulan 42cc chainsaw
7x14 open landscape trailer
Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Man, I'm 19, and going to college. Think of it this way, most jobs nowadays, you have to have some type of degree in. It helps get your foot in the door, and also pays more too. What if something happened to your mowing and you needed to get a job? Well, a degree will help you then. I would get a degree into something that your interested. And yes, you will will have to take some of the crappy courses, but time flies, so it will be easy. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea i think Whoopass this in a previous thread i apologize if i quote the wrong person but he said something along the lines " "A college degree wont guarantee you anything, buy no college degree will guarantee you nothing."

Kean's Lawn Service
61" Husqurvana 2007 ZTR
Stihl FS80 Trimmer
Makita Trimmer
Kawasaki Trimmer
Kawasaki Edger
Husqurvana 326L Trimmer
Echo Edger
Stihl BR340 blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer
Poulan polesaw
Poulan 42cc chainsaw
Old 12-24-2008, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Wow...what a coincidence- As I started to respond to you, I realized you're from Wooster!! That's where I went to college! Too funny. Do you go to Woo High?? It's a nice school. I remember it being built when I was going to the College in 1995-1999...

I have a geology degree (pretty worthless) and I actually considered going to OARDC for a two year turf degree....but I had to get outta that town!! (no offense).

If I had to do it over again, I would def. go for a Landscape Architect's degree.... Something at a larger school. It sounds like you want a complete education- so that's where I'd focus- maybe do a paid internship at a nice firm over the summers... or work for a highly reputable company. You also can't go wrong with a business degree. Do that, and then focus on (again) working for a large, decent company in your off time.
Yes infact i live about 15 min away from wooster and go to norwayne High school.And trust me i know what you mean by getting out of this town.My mom works at the OARDC so i could get a discount if i wanted to go to ATI but im kinda wanting to stray away from home and see what else is out there.A paid intership would be awsome but i want to find one who can teach me the right stuff and would be willing to spend the time with me showing how to do it right the first time.Need any extra hands etwman
Old 12-24-2008, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to school then use your elective hours to intern. Get college credit and get paid to learn what you really need to learn.

Kean's Lawn Service
61" Husqurvana 2007 ZTR
Stihl FS80 Trimmer
Makita Trimmer
Kawasaki Trimmer
Kawasaki Edger
Husqurvana 326L Trimmer
Echo Edger
Stihl BR340 blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer
Poulan polesaw
Poulan 42cc chainsaw
Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been accepted to Western Kentucky University and from what the Ag teacher at my school has said their ag program (turf grass and landscaping/hardscaping are considered ag courses) is almost as good as Ut Martin's.

I've visited Utm and it was an option but they didn't have the programs I was looking for( residential architecture) other than turf grass, but going to WKU if residential architecture doesn't work out I can always switch to a landscaping or turf grass program.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 12-24-2008, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

congrats 1993 WKU is just down the road from here. Actaully your just down the road from me now. Played soccer there all my life pretty much. WKU is giving you in state tuition to right? They should or atleast we can go there for in state

Kean's Lawn Service
61" Husqurvana 2007 ZTR
Stihl FS80 Trimmer
Makita Trimmer
Kawasaki Trimmer
Kawasaki Edger
Husqurvana 326L Trimmer
Echo Edger
Stihl BR340 blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer
Poulan polesaw
Poulan 42cc chainsaw
Old 12-24-2008, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro2210 View Post
Ok so im a junior in high school soon to be senior. And im starting to think about what college i want to go to. My question to you all is how many of you went to college and what colleges you went to/ recommend. Im looking to do basically everything that "etwman" does. Hardscaping, Landscaping lawn maintence...input greatly appreciated Mike
Go get a education degree then start your business. This way you can fall back on your teaching degree.
I would get a degree in something else. there is no need to pay out a lot of money for landscaping. I know a guy that is in hard scaping multi million dollar business. no degree just worked for someone then started his own.