Finished college 29 46.03%
Finished high school 23 36.51%
did not finish high school 2 3.17%
did not go college 4 6.35%
have some type of degree 11 17.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2008, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm taking a couple of classes at college this year, but i still need to finish senior year. I'll be getting a double major.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Having a degree, I'm going to suggest something less conventional

First, realize that the cost of college can be very high. Some states have lottery sponsored scholarships where if you have decent grades you get a free ride. But if you don't qualify for that add up the costs of going and then input them into a financial calculator to see what you'd wind up with 4-4.5 years later in cash.

Then figure out what it costs you in opprtunity costs. This means what you are giving up for those 4 years in lost income (after taxes). If you could earn an average of $28,000 at a job for those 4 years instead of $8,000 working part time after class and summers, you're giving up $20,000 a year before taxes.

If you are burning with desire for a certain career and degree I'd go to college and study that. If you're less sure and an indifferent student I"d consider 1-2 years of working in the field first to see if you even like it. Then go to school if you still want to. But my impression is that a high percentage of 18 y/o's go to college partly to have a good time and are not that into the educational part of it, so they're wasting time and money.

If after 4 years you'd have an extra $75,000 or whatever saved you might decide it's not for you to get the formal education. Studies have shown that a high proportion of college grads are NOT employed in jobs that require degrees. But for the right person and situation the degree is a must have.

I'll let you know that I know a person with a hs diploma who made 6 figures in her low 30's simply by working her way up the ladder. She was even a nanny and held other minor jobs for 5 years after high school, so it took her just about 8 years in her actual professional field. But during those years she made a good income rather than going into debt for the education. Another woman quit her job and got a 4 year degree later in her 20's and never went back to work as she shortly had children. That was about $150,000 in lost tuition money and income for a degree that doesn't get used. So each situation is different.

Also look into other ways to obtain certifications and knowledge in the field without college and compare to see what works best for you.

But the single most overlooked aspect of college educations is the foregone income and the time value of the money tied up in it that could be earning interest income. The more specifically motivated you are the more college makes sense. But once you learn the skills the degree is less important.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Mike,

Go to college and don't let anyone talk you out of it. The experience and people you meet you will never forget. Major in business and work as much as you can during breaks and weekends for yourself and different types of contractors. Examples hardscapers one summer, lawn cutters the next and full maintenance landscape contractors. This will give you plenty of experience that you will not receive in an ag program in college. Also it will help you decide if you want to stay in this career and if you don't you will have a business degree if you decide to start in a different direction. You will not be tied into an ag degree. You will learn as much in school as you will in the field. Go To OSU!!! And enjoy college life.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfireman View Post
I'm taking a couple of classes at college this year, but i still need to finish senior year. I'll be getting a double major.
The double major will be in Medicine and Fire Science.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm currently in college, just finished my first semester and my major is business of all things. lol
Old 12-25-2008, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i graduated highschool 5 years ago. Decide to go back to college this spring and finish my Horticulture Degree!!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 12-25-2008, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its a lot harder a lot a lot harder to go back to school after you do not go after highschool. You will also miss 99% of all scholarships offered to you. Its more then an education. Sure people can make it without going but why chance it. Those people who get jobs after college get paid alot more then someone without and yes the job might not require a degree, but i bet they got choosen becuase they did. Thats the difference. And college is not really that expenisve its $2500 a semester at all the state schools here and our hope scholarship is $2000 a year so you need $2000 a year. A loan if needed is usually around 6% and very small payments. its well documented the return is alot greater then just going to work. Think about it as an investment that lasts the rest of your life. And further if you want to go to graduate school you can apply for a GA position and get your entire school paid for. I have met some really poor pretty much homeless people get the money because they know its worth it.

Kean's Lawn Service
2005 GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel
60" Exmark Lazer Z 2005 Triton Deck
61" Husqurvana 2007 ZTR
Stihl FS80 Trimmer
Makita Trimmer
Kawasaki Trimmer
Kawasaki Edger
Husqurvana 326L Trimmer
Echo Edger
Stihl BR340 blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer
Poulan polesaw
Poulan 42cc chainsaw
7x14 open landscape trailer
Old 12-25-2008, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And KC good luck man. Med track is difficult, but its a great thing to achieve. I am also a double major but not nearly as hard as you will have it lol. When i finish though i am thinking about doing prelaw too.

Congrats Krazy to for going back to college.

Kean's Lawn Service
2005 GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel
60" Exmark Lazer Z 2005 Triton Deck
61" Husqurvana 2007 ZTR
Stihl FS80 Trimmer
Makita Trimmer
Kawasaki Trimmer
Kawasaki Edger
Husqurvana 326L Trimmer
Echo Edger
Stihl BR340 blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer
Poulan polesaw
Poulan 42cc chainsaw
7x14 open landscape trailer
Old 12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All right, now we're on the right track.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Graduated from LSU with a BS in Horticulture. A college degree doesn't guarantee anything, but it does sure help to have it. Stay in school and get that degree.

LSU Horticulture Degree
Commercial State License
Turf and Ornamental Spray License

Spray Services offered:
-Insect Control
-Fertilization
-Weed Control
-Disease Control
-Soil Testing