Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before becoming a Hustler Dealer I was a Toro Dealer for 4 years. The timecutter units are great mowers for the money. The industrial Kohler Courage engines are great never had any major repairs on any of them. They originally back those units with a three year warranty and the unit got consumer's first and second top buy. Eighty hours is alot for an 08 though be careful it may have been used commercially before. If your looking to buy a new unit though, the New Hustler Sport which should be in dealerships mid Jan. blows it out of the water. The 42" will retail for about $3000 and be fully fabricated deck and frame an industry first for homeowners.

I agree with the others stay away from the JD two years from now you will be happy you listened. POS
Old 12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Ron...do you mean the JD LA series?? I hope not, but I haven't had and/or used it long enough to see any downside...

I did look around for reviews and didn't really find any bad ones...time will tell.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anything you can purchase from LOWES is bad news, with the exception of Husqvarna Riding Mowers and higher end Husqvarna hand held products. But seriously support your local independent dealers not the guys who can't help you later. You will need service eventually why not start building a relationship with your dealer when you first purchase equipment.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

thx Ron...I actually bought the JD from a local hardware store who is also a JD dealer for smaller stuff. They did a lot...they set it up and delivered it (15-20 miles) for free, while another local dealer, exclusively JD, was going to charge over $100 to set up and deliver. I know what you mean about the big box stores...there is no customer service after the sale, if something goes wrong it's like pulling teeth. If the LA125 goes south I will def. post here and let as many people know as possible. So far it seems like a good unit, but I haven't put much time on it.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif View Post
thx Ron...I actually bought the JD from a local hardware store who is also a JD dealer for smaller stuff. They did a lot...they set it up and delivered it (15-20 miles) for free, while another local dealer, exclusively JD, was going to charge over $100 to set up and deliver. I know what you mean about the big box stores...there is no customer service after the sale, if something goes wrong it's like pulling teeth. If the LA125 goes south I will def. post here and let as many people know as possible. So far it seems like a good unit, but I haven't put much time on it.
Congratulations on your new machine !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif View Post
Pity that local hardware store probably won't be a JD dealer for much longer... THEN you're going to have to take it to the big one with all the big tractors.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
Pity that local hardware store probably won't be a JD dealer for much longer... THEN you're going to have to take it to the big one with all the big tractors.
I hope not, the "big tractor place" is not so good. Hopefully the equipment will work flawlessly???!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

in all honesty thats bull **** about the machine not being able to be used commercially ... I have an exmark 54inch commercial which is great and a bobcat walkbehind 48 inch ... but I have some yards which the toro Z4200 (I got for 500 at an estate sale) fits through and makes fast work of a pretty big back yard ... Ive been running it for about 2 seasons now and have had ZERO problems with it ... I fill her with 93 octane, clean/change filter every 50 hours and the oil (synthetic) every 50 hours and it hasnt given me a single problem ... it is amazing for smaller properties and gets through gates np ... and the stripes it produces with out a kit are great ... I wish toro or exmark would come out with a zero turn like this that had a deck that held a grass catcher (I got mine custom made to fit) because I love this machine
Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Lawn&Grounds View Post
in all honesty thats bull **** about the machine not being able to be used commercially ... I have an exmark 54inch commercial which is great and a bobcat walkbehind 48 inch ... but I have some yards which the toro Z4200 (I got for 500 at an estate sale) fits through and makes fast work of a pretty big back yard ... Ive been running it for about 2 seasons now and have had ZERO problems with it ... I fill her with 93 octane, clean/change filter every 50 hours and the oil (synthetic) every 50 hours and it hasnt given me a single problem ... it is amazing for smaller properties and gets through gates np ... and the stripes it produces with out a kit are great ... I wish toro or exmark would come out with a zero turn like this that had a deck that held a grass catcher (I got mine custom made to fit) because I love this machine
I was happy to read this I just picked up a 08 Z4200 real cheap and I could not pass up. I am putting a recycling kit on it tonight I am looking forward to seeing the stripes it makes. i am curios is there is a striping kit for Z4200 also.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Lawn&Grounds View Post
I have seen this machine quite often around some of the shore boroughs/municipalities here cutting commercially, some of them look beat to death LOL They seem to hold up. I have always like Toro's. I am surprised that more people don't buy them. I have never really been impressed with the homeowner models, but I really like the commercial units, probably one of the best mowers on the market.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own